BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A quick wheel education

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  beewang 
#1 · (Edited)
the difference between a wheel with a lip and a wheel without.

these same style wheels look totally different.

Both wheels are 8.5" f and 10.5" r and are both 20" but look at the difference when taking in consideration the rear lip size.

This is a must consideration when choosing a wheel for your 6.

The Hamann wheel on the black car, although a nice look, pales in comparison with it's 2.5" lip on the rear to it's competitor, Radenergie which houses a massive 4" rear lip. having a deep dish does so much more per respective inch than increasing the wheels diameter by that same inch. IMHO, a 22" wheel is just simply too big (and too delicate) a wheel for the 6. It looks goofy.

As you can see, the right 20" works great on the 6.

Lip size is a factor on a wheel style thats often overlooked and people wonder why there wheels dont look agressive enough. They even wonder should they have gone 22's instead of 20's.

With a lip like this you can get away with 20" rims and still have a look thats agressive and sporty. and running only a plus 1, you have so many advantages! (tire cost, ride quality, rim cost, rim durability, tire durability, mounting locations, rim selection, repair costs, on and on and on....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
phunkfarm said:
the difference between a wheel with a lip and a wheel without.

these same style wheels look totally different.

Both wheels are 8.5" f and 10.5" r and are both 20" but look at the difference when taking in consideration the rear lip size.

This is a must consideration when choosing a wheel for your 6.

The Hamann wheel on the black car, although a nice look, pales in comparison with it's 2.5" lip on the rear to it's competitor, Radenergie which houses a massive 4" rear lip. having a deep dish does so much more per respective inch than increasing the wheels diameter by that same inch. IMHO, a 22" wheel is just simply too big (and too delicate) a wheel for the 6. It looks goofy.

As you can see, the right 20" works great on the 6.

Lip size is a factor on a wheel style thats often overlooked and people wonder why there wheels dont look agressive enough. They even wonder should they have gone 22's instead of 20's.

With a lip like this you can get away with 20" rims and still have a look thats agressive and sporty. and running only a plus 1, you have so many advantages! (tire cost, ride quality, rim cost, rim durability, tire durability, mounting locations, rim selection, repair costs, on and on and on....
Thanks for the "education" :rolleyes:

It's all about what YOU like... if I want zero lip, so be it. If I want a 6" lip.. so be it. It's all about what looks right to YOU..at the end of the day, you are paying for everything, get what you like, not what you think everyone else will like..

For example, there is a 745 running around town, no less than 5" lips all around.. hideous to say the least.

#5 ·
Nice...

phunkfarm said:

Tell me what you opinion of the Asanti Fordged Wheels? http://www.asantiwheels.com/gallery.html
Specifically the AF122 & AF128 20" with a 6" lip?

GMAN

#6 · (Edited)
its always the same two guys

Heckyl and jeckyl.

like two magpies sitting on a wire looking down, waiting, ready to s*it on anyone walking by.

for two guys that dont like mods, they always seem to read and interject...why not simply ignore the posts that dont interest you like most adults tend to do fellas?

Why the aggrivation of having to respond to what choices the other guys make to change wheels...i just dont get it.

You've made your point that wheels arent of interest to you so for two guys that preach freedom of choice, get lost and allow us to choose..ok?.

Does the phrase...get a life come to mind here?

now back a real response....

I think Asantis are good rims, theyre forged. The other great thing about Asanti is that they will make a custom rim for you in any configuration you like. They are also cheaper than any other forged rim out there. The thing about Asanti that tends to lend then to the bling factor is that most people do 22's. A good friend of mine has the af 122 in a 20 on his 745 and its lovely. A 6 needs no more than 20's imo

#7 · (Edited)
If you are referring to me in some way, you are way off base. I will definitely be changing my wheels, if I go with the fat 5" lip style is up in the air. I also am looking at a "somewhat mild" body kit and suspension. Wheels? likely 20x9 and 20x10.5, offsets of 10 & 18. Tires will be 245's and 285's.

AriciU initially asked for an opinion on the R20's, in an open forum, and several members responded. I think they look great on the M6, not so on the 645.. does that somehow hurt your feelings? It certainly did not hurt his, he was asking for opinions and many users gave him theirs, pro and con. You act offended that we all don't have your sense of style.

Then you come here and attempt to "educate" us on wheels somehow? Give me a break..

I took no offense when you stated you did not like the Kahn wheels, different strokes for different folks...

Tell you what... how about you actually buy a car, make the headlight mods and wheels with 6" lips and come back here and dazzle us with your sense of style...

#8 · (Edited)
what would make you think for a second that...

I need anyone to like what i like?

how many times do I have to put "IMHO" in a post to allow you to relax and move on?

the post was meant to "educate" anyone who may not have known about the aethetic value of a lip size. The post was meant to allow another to learn and/or consider a wheel variable that one may or may not have noticed prior....

There is no need for you to retort in an aggressive manner to a word that you took offense to.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you cant be that insecure and fragile that the word 'educate' got your panties twisted up.

Ok, ok, I hereby go on record to change the word "educate" to "something to consider"

are we all OK now?

Are they putting estrogen in cornflakes nowadays? This is why the rest of us are trying to have dialogue about wheels so we can make the mods we so choose.

but if youre curious....

the car will be set up like this.

Mystic blue manual 645 coupe
black interior with light wood
HR springs (1.2, 1" drop)
blue tinted headlight kit
cleansweep based stereo upgrade (car non logic-7)
Maya STM or Breyton Spirit wheels staggered 20"
Possible Breyton bodykit. (not feeling the Hamann)
ultimate pedals deadpedal and heelguards
Eisennhaus muffler with dual round tips (already bought)

And by the way gene, i bought one...It's on a truck so I'll educate you when it gets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.