PDA

View Full Version : Whats involved in paintless dent removal

Mathew
09-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Ive noticed that one of our cars (not mine), has a door ding in it. Its from someone elses door. Just a small ding, nothing else. I was thinking about those paintless dent removal places, does anybody have any experience with them, or know what they do? And how does it look like afterwards?

whamac
09-13-2002, 06:40 PM
I was watching the Dent Wizard guy (I think that was the name) today, while my dealer was changing my oil.

It was kind of cool. The technician was fixing door dings by inserting various rods inside the door, through the window opening, and working the dents out. Also did some tapping around the dings from the outside.

For other spots, he used a hot-glued suction cup-looking tool, and pulled them out.

When he finished fixing a ding, I couldn't see any remaining evidence of it, and that was on a black 325.

As long as the paint isn't "broken", he's able to make it look pretty darn close to new.

They also showed me pics of LARGE repairs that they had done.

Remarkable!

Ben Chou
09-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Take a look at this site. This is the suction item mentioned before and it talks about what PDR is.

Paintless Dent Removal (http://www.dingking.com/)

johnlew
09-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Basically, they get behind the dent/ding and massage it out. Here is a before and after on my rr quarter. I had 9 dents taken out of my wife's 540, you couldn't tell me where one of them was. Had 8 taken out of the black Olds, not a trace to be found. It's utterly amazing. I accidently bumped my 330 with the Olds rear door in the garage, ever so lightly and ended up with a dent under the mirror. The guy didn't even charge me and removed it in 10 min. After the other two cars he felt sorry for me, and $450.
You'll be amazed, go for it. Usually $99 for the first and $10-25 for each additional per visit. www.dentwizard.com

http://members.roadfly.com/thelews/dent.jpg

http://members.roadfly.com/thelews/wiz.jpg

Mathew
09-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys. I really didnt know what they did and was curious to know. I heard of the suction thing, but wasnt sure what they did afterwards.

John: thanks for the pics and prices. Seems like you had a goood experience.

rbright
09-14-2002, 08:50 AM
So, is it worth it to buy the Dent Wizard Ding Shield warranty from my dealer?

It is from Dent Wizard, costs $350 and includes 5 panel repair vouchers, good for up to 3 dings per panel, and it good for 3 years.

Basically, they give you 5 vouchers, good for a panel repair (up to 3 dings per panel) that you can use at any time during the first 3 years. It also includes a 90-Day 1st Ding Free offer.

Is this worth $350? Is it something that you would say is definitely necessary? It sounds like it would cost me $99 + avg $45 per panel to have it fixed without the warranty. So it looks like I am getting 2 repair visits for free with the warranty.

Would I really use 5 repair visits in a 3 year period, if I didn't have the warranty? Do you guys get a lot of dings? Are most dings repairable in that they don't break the paint?

Thanks for your help.

johnlew
09-14-2002, 08:59 AM
I'd say three dents on a panel would cost $150. So you get about 2+ panels with the warranty cost and get about 3 free. I'd only do it IF you plan on getting a lot of dents. After 3 years and 85k miles on a used 540, I spent $200 to get 9 dents out and 4+ years on a 98 Olds, I spent $250 to get eight dents out. And, they were all over the car, different panels. The reason they make the panel distinction is that once behind the panel the next dent is nothing to remove. A big part of the work is getting behind the panel. I'd be careful where I park and skip it.

rbright
09-14-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by johnlew
I'd say three dents on a panel would cost $150. So you get about 2+ panels with the warranty cost and get about 3 free. I'd only do it IF you plan on getting a lot of dents. After 3 years and 85k miles on a used 540, I spent $200 to get 9 dents out and 4+ years on a 98 Olds, I spent $250 to get eight dents out. And, they were all over the car, different panels. The reason they make the panel distinction is that once behind the panel the next dent is nothing to remove. A big part of the work is getting behind the panel. I'd be careful where I park and skip it.

thanks for the advice, John. Of course I don't plan on getting any dents, but you never know in Atlanta. Of course, I don't park in many lots and I will probably park my baby at the far end of the row (at least for the first two months). But, honestly, my current car I have had for 4 years, and there are probably only 4-5 dings on it in total. Now, it is a Taurus and others are less envious and less likely to slam their doors into my Taurus than they might be a hot new 330Ci.

I think I am leaning into your thinking, however, that even if I get a few dings, I can wait a couple of years and get them all taken out at once and pay about the same or less and that would last for the next few years.

If the vouchers did not expire in three years, or if I could transfer them to friends, it would be a steal. But I don't know if I would really NEED to take my car in for ding repairs 5 times in 3 years, unless I lived in NY or DC and parked in tight spots a lot.

johnlew
09-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by rbright

thanks for the advice, John. Of course I don't plan on getting any dents, but you never know in Atlanta. Of course, I don't park in many lots and I will probably park my baby at the far end of the row (at least for the first two months). But, honestly, my current car I have had for 4 years, and there are probably only 4-5 dings on it in total. Now, it is a Taurus and others are less envious and less likely to slam their doors into my Taurus than they might be a hot new 330Ci.

I think I am leaning into your thinking, however, that even if I get a few dings, I can wait a couple of years and get them all taken out at once and pay about the same or less and that would last for the next few years.

If the vouchers did not expire in three years, or if I could transfer them to friends, it would be a steal. But I don't know if I would really NEED to take my car in for ding repairs 5 times in 3 years, unless I lived in NY or DC and parked in tight spots a lot.

Another analysis would be...You can't stand the site of a dent or ding (like me) and have to take it out immediately. That would be five visits for 1 dent each at min. $100/dent or at least $500. So you would be ahead. Sorry to confuse the issue.

rbright
09-14-2002, 09:21 AM

Another analysis would be...You can't stand the site of a dent or ding (like me) and have to take it out immediately. That would be five visits for 1 dent each at min. $100/dent or at least $500. So you would be ahead. Sorry to confuse the issue.

Oh, and I thanked you! Now look, you threw my original logic back at me and I know that I can't STAND the site of a ding. I get obsessed with it and look at it every time I walk by the car.

I can't imagine how I would be with my new Bimmer, especially OB that might show all the dings well.

Thanks, John, you really know how to throw an obsessive-about-my-first-Bimmer guy off a bridge.

In reality though, I think I might go with the warranty. I will feel better just knowing that I can get them fixed and the $350 will probably pay for itself after 2 visits, and most likely, someone is going to ding my new bimmer, and probably more than once on each side, or with my luck, and damn apple will fall out of a tree and ding in the top.

johnlew
09-14-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by rbright

Oh, and I thanked you! Now look, you threw my original logic back at me and I know that I can't STAND the site of a ding. I get obsessed with it and look at it every time I walk by the car.

I can't imagine how I would be with my new Bimmer, especially OB that might show all the dings well.

Thanks, John, you really know how to throw an obsessive-about-my-first-Bimmer guy off a bridge.

In reality though, I think I might go with the warranty. I will feel better just knowing that I can get them fixed and the $350 will probably pay for itself after 2 visits, and most likely, someone is going to ding my new bimmer, and probably more than once on each side, or with my luck, and damn apple will fall out of a tree and ding in the top.

I'm going to make it worse. Not all dings can be fixed and BMWs are harder to fix due to their better build, ie., tighter access, beefed up crash protection in the doors, etc. Also, dings and dents on seams or creases cannot be fixed by paintless dent removal and generally they won't touch a ding with broken paint, although they did one for me. Like all insurance, most likely they'll win. You know your situation best and your probability of getting banged. I don't buy into the malicious denting of BMWs by others, but I may be wrong and naive.

3seriesbimmer
09-14-2002, 11:22 PM
well I just got the quote for my dent (baseball) sized under the driver side side view mirror 600 bucks!... thats before my CCA discount though LOL and the service manager said hes going to talk to them seeing as it was my Ebrake that gave out and I had to "hold" the car in place (what caused the dent):thumbdwn:

johnlew
09-15-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by 3seriesbimmer
well I just got the quote for my dent (baseball) sized under the driver side side view mirror 600 bucks!... thats before my CCA discount though LOL and the service manager said hes going to talk to them seeing as it was my Ebrake that gave out and I had to "hold" the car in place (what caused the dent):thumbdwn:

Did you check out one of the national paintless dent removal places? Sounds like it might be too big though, but worth a try.

RKT BMR
09-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Another analysis would be...You can't stand the site of a dent or ding (like me) and have to take it out immediately.
Ditto. It get's even worse, though: Inevitably, you will also get a ding or two that scratches the paint too -- right down to the primer, if you're unlucky. I have two of those, and most people would be hard-pressed to find them, but I know they're there, which drives me to distraction :cry:

I'll get them professionally touched up sometime over the next year. Since they are literally hair's width blemishes, I'm not willing to try anything with touch-up paint -- it would look worse, and more noticable. They need a fine spray job.

The single most effective thing you can do to protect your finish and interior, keeping it looking like new, is to protect it from sun exposure. This means getting religion about covering your car if it spends much time parked in a lot. I have taken the few minutes to cover my 330Cic (Orient blue / sand / black top) every day at work, and 14 months later, it looks as good as the day I drove it out of the dealership.

Dave