PDA

View Full Version : Almost got into an accident last night

fuz
09-14-2002, 12:22 AM
So, I almost got into a car accident last night on the way to dinner with my dad. On the road just before the freeway onramp, I noticed a truck with overhead flashing yellow lights on the right shoulder, blocking the right lane, so I slow down from 40mph to just over 35mph (speed limit is 35). The light is green so I continue to proceed towards the freeway entrance, when at the intersection just before the onramp starts, I notice a police cruiser with all lights flashing slowly rolling backwards into the middle of the onramp from the left. Since I can’t go left, or right with the police car on the left, and the truck on the right, I just hammer the brakes. ABS pulls my car to a nice short stop with no squealing, but behind me a car is fast approaching and doesn’t have nearly the stopping power that my 2002 e46 325i has. :eeps:

A quick glance showed that through the dim headlights, the 80’s era car would never brake in time, since he or she was following a bit close. In a split second, I let off the brakes as I heard tires squealing behind me and tapped the accelerator to move my car forward. The car behind me came to a stop close enough that I could not see their headlights. From my guess, they were about a foot or two from my bumper, and definitely would have hit me had I not given him or her (I think her) more room. And then bam! :yikes:

The car following the car behind me slams into it with a rather loud exclamation. At this point I am 10 feet ahead of the car behind me and I just sit there for a few seconds. The police car starts turning around to get out of the intersection and towards the accident scene. I more forward some more—across the intersection and pull off to the side wondering if I should stop and stand by as a witness. At this point my dad, next to me says, “what are you doing, just go.” I figure that since it’s a case of following too close to brake in time, it should be easy to figure out who is at fault. And conveniently there is a police car not 30 feet from the accident site. So I just take off.

I still feel a bit queasy though, knowing that the police car started the chain reaction, my car’s high abilities accentuated it, my skill avoided it, but someone else took the damage that I would have got. Still it is better than a three-car accident, and I should be darn grateful that I didn’t get the worst of it. :angel:

If there’s anything I learned, be aware that a bimmer performs much better than the average car, and you really need to give other people that extra margin that they seem to lack, and ignore. :rolleyes:

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-14-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by fuz
If there’s anything I learned, be aware that a bimmer performs much better than the average car, and you really need to give other people that extra margin that they seem to lack, and ignore. :rolleyes:

I had a similar experience once... I was doing about 50 on a road in virginia, and the light in front of me changes. I was just at the point where I could go or stop, but neither was a great option... SO I start slowing down... I;m braking just hard enough that you heard moaning noises... After I come to a stop (light is red), I hear squealing noises and watch as a Honda Accord with locked brakes shoots off to the left...

Other people's brakes suck. :p It's really kinda of scary what happens when a Bimmer or Benz brakes hard.

johnlew
09-14-2002, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't feel guilty. Kudos to you for defensive driving. You didn't need to get involved.

JST
09-14-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

I had a similar experience once... I was doing about 50 on a road in virginia, and the light in front of me changes. I was just at the point where I could go or stop, but neither was a great option... SO I start slowing down... I;m braking just hard enough that you heard moaning noises... After I come to a stop (light is red), I hear squealing noises and watch as a Honda Accord with locked brakes shoots off to the left...

Other people's brakes suck. :p It's really kinda of scary what happens when a Bimmer or Benz brakes hard.

On a test drive of an M coupe, I came upon a yellow light, and braked at about 1/2 the car's ability to stop for it; moderate effort braking, for me. I looked up into my review mirror to see the ten wheel straight truck behind me with its brakes locked, smoke pouring from it's tires (the image is so vivid that I can tell you it was a cab-over Ford). I also pulled forward a bit, and the van managed to stop in time, but I had visions of being impaled on the front of that truck.

These days, once I have established I am not going to hit whatever is in front of me that I am braking to avoid, I always check the rear view to make sure the car behind me is also an M3...

Chris325i
09-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Was almost read-ended by a cop while stopping at a yellow light recently. He was following me by a couple car lengths, since I saw him behind me I didn't really want to gun it through the yellow so I stopped not TOO fast, maybe about 1/2 braking power. Looked in my rear view mirror to see the cop STANDING on his brakes, coffee cup and briefcase flying.

Once he settled down I gave him a little shrug, he didn't respond.

disneyducks
09-14-2002, 11:10 PM
Good moves / dad was right-- knowing how things get twisted around at times, you might have been nailed for one thing or another had you stayed.

Glad the bimmer came out untouched. :thumbup: