PDA

View Full Version : Fyi:

nate
09-14-2002, 04:44 PM
There is an acticle comparing RWD v FWD v AWD in the current issue of Grassroots Motorsport in an auto-x setting

WRX v RSX-S v 330i (2001)

all on 205/55 16s, looks like an OEM BMW rim on the 330

·clyde·
09-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
There is an acticle comparing RWD v FWD v AWD in the current issue of Grassroots Motorsport in an auto-x setting

WRX v RSX-S v 330i (2001)

all on 205/55 16s, looks like an OEM BMW rim on the 330

What was their bottom line? (I need to get a subscription :mad: )

nate
09-14-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work

What was their bottom line? (I need to get a subscription :mad: )

Seemed like they favored the WRX

All three cars are in D-Stock and put basically equal average times. 330 was slowest, behind the RSX, then WRX. Only 1/2 second for an average of 5 laps.

They hated the stability control on the 330.

some quotes:

"(Dry secition)The DSC completely cured the BMW sports sedan of any 'sports.' Luckily, there is an on/off switch in the center of the dashboard labeld 'DSC.' With DSC switched off, the 330i felt most like a '60s era muscle car, its 3200 pounds transferrring quickly from corner to corner on the BMW's soft orignal-equipment shocks....As equipped fromt he factory, the BMW is very controlled, yet it also leaves the impression that it would be a lot more reqarding with a few of its knobs turned to 11. In our experience, the BMW is the car most likely to improve through typicall autocross preparation, as the combination of revalved shock absorbers, a larger front anti-roll bar (which would reduce the inside wheels pin) and a more agressive alignment often transform a stock BMW into a very nimble racer.....(Wet)The large BMW with its big, torquey engine, was a hand-full on corner exit, wagging the tail with the slightest provocation. This was fun for a lap or two, but quicly became frustrating. With Dynamic Stabilty control turned on, the BMW as actually more fun to drive in the wet. It became a game of trying to see how stupid we could be without hitting a cone on our way through the course...(conculsion) The Acura RSX Type-S was probably the most fun to drive because of its easy transition from understeer to oversteer; it's a nearly neutral car with very few bad habits. The only downside to the Acura was its corner exit speed, with too much forward momentum being lost when the fron tires lost thier purchase on the asphalt. Oddly enought, the BMW 330i was only fun to drive with a knuckle-draggin monkey behind the wheel. With its considerable tail end hung out and the rear tires smoking on corner exit, the BMW felt the 'fastest,' but the times did not reflect hat' driving the BMW with a smooth hand and a gentle foot worked the best. With the traction and stability control on, the BMW was less fun to drive than our Chrysler minivan. Any attempt at driving fun was quickly arrested by the Stabiltiy Control Gestapo inside the BMW's onboard computer."

All on 205/55 16 Bridgeston KDWs. Massivly undertired for the 330, I think. But I wonder, those wheels look like the OEM BMW Z3 5 spokes. They fit and are made in E46 offset :dunno:

IBTDsaysthe330isafatpig

Mystikal
09-15-2002, 08:17 AM

All on 205/55 16 Bridgeston KDWs. Massivly undertired for the 330, I think. But I wonder, those wheels look like the OEM BMW Z3 5 spokes. They fit and are made in E46 offset :dunno:

IBTDsaysthe330isafatpig

Remember the E36 shares its hubs with the Z3, and we all know that the E36 and E46 can use the same wheels. :thumbup:

blackdawg
09-15-2002, 08:22 AM
...not like we're shocked.

this review is informative because once again, we can see the value of comparisons.....comparing the 330, instead of to other cars in its class, but more nimble cars....and it looks like what it is. a GT car.

nothing wrong with that, but those overly buying into the "ultimate driving machine" may have a reality check, that's all.

what i'd like to see is a comparison on a track of the mini cooper S, the RSX type S, and the WRX. that would be interesting, huh? and then compare those cars to a track prepped miata to see how things go.

nate
09-15-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by blackdawg

what i'd like to see is a comparison on a track of the mini cooper S, the RSX type S, and the WRX. that would be interesting, huh? and then compare those cars to a track prepped miata to see how things go.

The point of the test was to compare different drivelines with approximately the same performance as to minimize those effects. So, all cars were in the same class. And considering the average times were within 1/2 second in the dry, they got it.

Though, the 330 and WRX are the only ones that have won National titles...

But, there is an article on the new Mini in the magazine.

obLu
09-15-2002, 11:32 AM
Why no 330i with sport package and the oem 225/45-17 and 245/40-17 tire package? :dunno: Just seems odd that they'd put a luxo version 330i [they might as well have used a lincoln continental] onto an auto-x course and expect to evaluate the performance of the platform. It's almost 1000lbs heavier than the other two. Doesn't seem like a very scientific test unless they want to handicap the other cars by adding balast or deducting time.

Not trying to push the pro-BMW stance (I'd much rather have an RSX or WRX on an auto-x course regardless of which wheels are driven) just seems like an odd comparison.

nate
09-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by obLu
Why no 330i with sport package and the oem 225/45-17 and 245/40-17 tire package? :dunno: Just seems odd that they'd put a luxo version 330i [they might as well have used a lincoln continental] onto an auto-x course and expect to evaluate the performance of the platform. It's almost 1000lbs heavier than the other two. Doesn't seem like a very scientific test unless they want to handicap the other cars by adding balast or deducting time.

Not trying to push the pro-BMW stance (I'd much rather have an RSX or WRX on an auto-x course regardless of which wheels are driven) just seems like an odd comparison.

It had SP, they just put 205/55 16s on all three cars.

I think those are the standard tires for the other cars, but not enough tire for a 330, IMO

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-15-2002, 12:05 PM

It had SP, they just put 205/55 16s on all three cars.

I think those are the standard tires for the other cars, but not enough tire for a 330, IMO

Not enough tire for a WRX, either.

nate
09-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

Not enough tire for a WRX, either.

Maybe not, but Subaru thinks so :p