PDA

View Full Version : heel and toe question

richard
09-15-2002, 04:31 PM
I wonder if I'm using the proper technique. When I double clutch I put clutch in, shift to neutral, let clutch out, blip the throttle. put clutch back in and shift to lower gear. When I heel and toe, I brake with toe, put clutch in, blip throttle with side of foot while still applying brake,shift to lower gear and let clutch out. In other words, not double clutching. Is this right? Does it do any harm?

Imola Ed
09-15-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by richard
I wonder if I'm using the proper technique. When I double clutch I put clutch in, shift to neutral, let clutch out, blip the throttle. put clutch back in and shift to lower gear. When I heel and toe, I brake with toe, put clutch in, blip throttle with side of foot while still applying brake,shift to lower gear and let clutch out. In other words, not double clutching. Is this right? Does it do any harm?

That's correct. It doesn't hurt. And double-clutching isn't really necessary with today's manual transmissions. I just clutch-in, blip the throttle up, and clutch out.

fuz
09-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Double clutch is primarly used for cars that have bad syncro meshes.

johnlew
09-15-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by fuz
Double clutch is primarly used for cars that have bad syncro meshes.

Don't know if I agree. I always double clutch by force of habit. Just seems to be the way I get the smoothest downshift.

Imola Ed
09-15-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

Don't know if I agree. I always double clutch by force of habit. Just seems to be the way I get the smoothest downshift.

Just seems like such a waste of time since you can blip it without having to move into neutral first.

johnlew
09-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Imola Ed

Just seems like such a waste of time since you can blip it without having to move into neutral first.

Guess it comes down to personal preference. I've been double clutching for 33 years, so the other way seems awkward.

Imola Ed
09-15-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

Guess it comes down to personal preference. I've been double clutching for 33 years, so the other way seems awkward.

Heh. Yeah, I'm the opposite. I've never double-clutched because I never really needed to. Perhaps I'll play with it over the next few days.

nate
09-15-2002, 09:19 PM
The Skip Barber manual teaches Double-Clutching, but notes that it is not necessary.

You can blip without double-clutching if you blip higher. Danny Sullivan never double-clutches...

JawKnee
09-16-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Danny Sullivan never double-clutches...

JawKnee never double-clutches...

:D

Imola Ed
09-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by JawKnee

JawKnee never double-clutches...

:D

Oh, well in that case, I won't either! :D