PDA

View Full Version : What's in our steering column(bentley diagram?) how it effects steering feel ?

AF
09-15-2002, 05:10 PM
I never realized how many details go into making a BMW but when I compare the feel of turning the wheel of my BMW vs. other cars I really feel & hear something different.

The other day I was playing around and seeing how many turns it takes from lock to lock and got sidetracked by what sounded like 2 plastic pieces hitting together from the steering column(almost like a scraping sound)

Now I remember an old Benz my mother used to have had a scraping sound but it was always at the same exact point. It was always when the wheel was in a certain postion (like for example the 12 o'clock position) The benz wheel obviously had a defect and it was the actual steering wheel was rubbing against the column.

Anyway, on the BMW, it seems like a cufflink or whatever they have in the steering wheel has this type of sound at 12 o'clock. The weird thing is if the steering wheel is centered and you move it 90 degree's to the right (3 o'clock) and then you move it back in the opposite direction 180 degree's (9 o'clock) there is no scraping noise at the 12 o'clock position.

But if you go lock to lock, when you pass the 12 o'clock position, it is there. Now just so you understand it is extremely slight and if there is any outside noise you won't hear it (you even need to turn the a/c off) and practically put your ear right next to the steering column by the steering wheel

This got me thinking that this must have something to do with the steering feel of our cars and it's not like it's all because of the steering rack only.

Do you guys have any idea of the inner workings of our steering column ?

Maybe a diagram from the bentley book ??

I sincerely think this is one of the reasons why BMW"s have such incredible steering feel ... they think of everything . . .

ChrisTO
09-15-2002, 06:10 PM
as stated before...our cars are very engineered, to the point that they put in a little sound that can only be heard after what u described. what ur hearing is part of the self centering mechanism, and the noise is to indicate that it is functioning correctly. :)

u must've been REALLY bored to discover this.

AF
09-15-2002, 06:18 PM
You know Chris, that is what I was thinking . . . but I think it heard it each time i passed the 12 oclock point (which I think was 2 or 3 times) . . . if it were for the self centering, wouldn't it be evident ONLY on-center ?

The other thing that I can't figure out, why would I only hear it when turning from lock to lock . . . why don't I hear it all the time for the simple little nove of the wheel (like ofr example when turning only 90 degree's ? ?

What I was thinking is there must be a certain point where a couplink (or cufflink - whatever they call it) or some type of gearing reaches a certain point(the end of it) and then it allows another gear/cufflink to take over for the rest of the turn and what I'm hearing are the 2 gears/cufflinks meshing or connecting ? ?

ChrisTO
09-15-2002, 07:27 PM
actually i meant that as a joke to bug ya. :) <sigh> i've only added fuel to the fire of ur passion to find the source of this anomaly.

Originally posted by Alan F
You know Chris, that is what I was thinking . . . but I think it heard it each time i passed the 12 oclock point (which I think was 2 or 3 times) . . . if it were for the self centering, wouldn't it be evident ONLY on-center ?

AF
09-15-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ChrisTO
actually i meant that as a joke to bug ya. :) <sigh> i've only added fuel to the fire of ur passion to find the source of this anomaly.

well if that's the case . . . :flipoff: :flipoff:

BTW you might be onto to something with your first post :D

TD
09-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Alan, you REALLY need another hobby. Badly.

JT - '02 330i
09-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Inside other steering columns there normally is some sort of ribbon cable in a drum that permits the electrical connections to the wheel to be possible without twisting wires.

If not that, then it's probably the steering position sensor.

AF
09-15-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Holden
Alan, you REALLY need another hobby. Badly.

thanks Holden . . . it's not a bad idea and I'll consider it :flipoff:

AF
09-15-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by JT - '02 330i
Inside other steering columns there normally is some sort of ribbon cable in a drum that permits the electrical connections to the wheel to be possible without twisting wires.

If not that, then it's probably the steering position sensor.

Thanks for the info . . . do you have any idea where I could see a diagram of the inside of our steering column ?