PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged bmw's.

fm_illuminatus
12-03-2005, 10:35 PM
It seems that everyone puts a supercharger on their bmw. I'm looking at a turbo, anyone else have experience with that method of forced induction? Opinions, comments, issues?

stylinexpat
12-04-2005, 08:54 AM
If I remember correcly is has something to do with the ECU on the E46 BMW's that won't accept a sudden boost which is why everyone uses a Supercharger. The Supercharger works great on the Inline 6 engines.

firedwg1
12-05-2005, 01:44 PM
It seems that everyone puts a supercharger on their bmw. I'm looking at a turbo, anyone else have experience with that method of forced induction? Opinions, comments, issues?

Turbos are more complex install and tune. Thatís pretty much why most DIY guys go with a supercharger. Both will yield a fairly similar end result so long as the Supercharger is centrifugal.

There are turbo kits out there for our cars if you really want them...

SlowTurboM3
12-22-2005, 02:55 PM
I Would go with a Turbo If I were you, the only reason I say that is maybe becuz Ive never been in a S/C M3 but I do like the the way my car pulls and it seems to work well for my car so its really just up to you :thumbup:

Bimmermann05
03-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Supercharger is too easy! And cost alot! Turbo is slightly harder but will create more boost for less money! I say go turbo! www.homemadeturbo.com will help! They are honda based but they will get you on track.. They have a twin turbo mustang you could check out to get an outlook.. Turbo is your friend have fun and play!

MidwestM3
03-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Is the search button broken?

bnut510e39
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
as far as hp capabilities... turbo will give u more hp play because all u need to do is up the boost... considering u have enough fuel and the right engine management system. superchargers can up the boost as well by changing the pulley if im not mistaken... i have been into the turbo world with hondas for a few years and ive learned alot about boost over the years... yes turbo is unstable... it "can" create problems, not saying that it will but it can... s/c is a safer route but turbo, like i said... BOOOOOST!!!