PDA

View Full Version : Just put my snow tires/wheels on

bmw325
12-21-2001, 08:07 AM
I got Michelin Arctic Alpins mounted on 16" 7 spoke replicas from Discount Tire for $984. Used my Craftsman torque wrench and jack--worked well.

It sure is a PITA to get the wheels to sit on the hub--very hard to do by myself. I recommend getting one of those guides that screws into the lug bolt hole-- you then slip the wheel on over guide. I'm getting one for next time-- can't remember what those guides are called or where I saw them though.

I haven't pushed the car too hard, but I was still able to take curves at > 20mph over the post limit without any howls from the tires. My car is a 325i w/ sp. I thought I detected a light vibration- but I think this just be my imagination as I was paying such close attention to how the car felt w/ the different tires-- could also be the rougher tread w/ sipes that I'm not used it. Believe it or not, I think the car is smoother w/ the 17" wheels and sport tires.

Clem
12-21-2001, 08:11 AM
Just put them on now?!?!?!?!?!?! I've had my winter tires on for over 2 months now. :p

ff
12-21-2001, 08:14 AM
I was noticing that my snow tires transmit a lot of vibration too. Almost like they are totally out of balance. But had them rebalanced which didn't change a thing. The price we pay for traction, I guess.

:(

doubletee
12-21-2001, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Clem
Just put them on now?!?!?!?!?!?! I've had my winter tires on for over 2 months now. :p

I'm still holding out! No snow yet, and nothing of consequence predicted for the near future. I'm hoping to get through the end of 2001 before I have to give in and put them on.:p

MJS
12-22-2001, 07:17 AM
I've got 16" Blizzak LM22's on my 325Ci. Great tire so far, but no snow experience with them yet. They do slide much easier on dry pavement though! Man do I miss my summer tires!

As for vibrations, I'm getting none.

ism409
12-22-2001, 08:48 AM
I am holding out as well.. I got mine from jim@tirerack.com..
dunlop winter sport m2's mounted on a cheap set of 16" miglia's.
they are supposed to be pretty good on dry pavement..anyone else have these?

MJS
12-22-2001, 08:55 AM
Which Miglias do you have?
I got the Cello from TireRack. Not bad looking.

Now my dilemma is tires/rims for next summer. I plan on hitting atleast 3 to 4 track events(driving schools) next year. Not sure if I want to invest in some dedicated Track tires and rims though.

ism409
12-22-2001, 09:32 AM
i got the miglia spiders just because i could not see spending a ton on winter wheels.. I like the cello's they are nice looking..I am going thru the same dilema for next spring also. I am thinking of going with bmw oem style 32's maybe even 18's....we'll see..:cool:

Mystikal
12-22-2001, 10:38 AM
LOL, since I just got my car, I'm still running on Sport Contatcs...hehe. We already had one moderate snowfall last week, but it all dried up already. I'm living pretty dangerously!

Speaking of Miglia's, my car's summer rims are MM-112's. I still have no idea why the previous owner switched from the factory 16's to these, they even kept the factory tires. BTW, for future referrence, what are the 5-spoke 16's that are standard on the 328/323SP called?

ism409
12-22-2001, 01:27 PM
the 16's are style 45's i think
17's are style 44's..

Patrick
12-23-2001, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Clem

I have Nokia Hakapellitta winter tires (195 R 70 on 15" wheels) and this is the first Finnish winter that I have driven through without studded winter tires. It is a bit of an un-nerving feeling! The traction control warning light is on a lot!!

I have noticed though, that the winter tires are QUIETER than my summer tires. I have Style 45 wheels with Continentals (can't recall the exact name) and I think that if I do not change to a bigger wheel next spring, I will change to some other tires!

BTW, here in Finland, you are required by law to have "winter tires", studded or non, from December 1 - March 30.

Patrick

Patrick
12-23-2001, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by ism409
the 16's are style 45's i think
17's are style 44's..

Yes. I think that the Style 45s are 16 X 7.5 and the Style 44s are 17 X 8.0.

I have Style 45s and really like them ... but I would like to find Style 44s. Since no one but BMW sells them here in Finland, I will have to try to find them from Germany or the UK.

Patrick

:)