PDA

View Full Version : 04 745li - no phone due to homeland sec

dierks321
12-05-2005, 01:07 PM
I am about to buy a used 04 745Li. In that regard I had called BMWUSA to inquiry about comfort seats; during the conversation the onboard phone systems came up. The BMW rep said that I should make sure the phone system is operational. He said if it has been disconnected, due to Homeland Security issues, the phone cannot be reconnected. Has any heard about this? I'm totally baffled.

Dierks321

kd2789mo
12-06-2005, 07:21 AM
He's clueless Dierks, at least with respect to "homeland security issues" and consumer cell phone service.
The 03-04 7's, for the most part, use the Motorola v60. Back in 03-04, most of them were on either the CDMA with Verizon, or the TDMA with Cingular, cell phone platform. In 03, Cingular/At&t committed to the GSM digital platform. Cingular dropped their TDMA platform to move to the GSM platform, and in doing so, had to phase out all of their TDMA based phones. Verizon remained with their CDMA platform.

What the BMW rep was referring to is, had the vehicle come with a TDMA Cingular supported phone, indeed, it would not be usable today. However, in 04, BMW was no longer providing Cingular TDMA phones in the 7's.

Once Cingular phased out their TDMA platform, Motorola and Cingular did build a GSM version of the v60 for the 7 series, however, it did not interface with iDrive, and with BMW moving to bluetooth, the project was eventually scrapped, and BMW/Motorola replaced the phones with like CDMA in the v60, or GSM in the CPT.

If you open the back of the phone, beneath the battery, it will show the model and platform. If it has a Motorola phone using either a CDMA or GSM platform, it should work. Just call your cell provider and confirm it can be activated.

Glad you found a car :thumbup:

dierks321
12-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Hey kd,

Thanks for the information. I just got back from picking the car up in san diego; had to drive back to oregon. In my new car though it was no bother.

I just pulled the phone and opened the back it is CDMA. I'll call singular this morning.

Again thanks.

Dierks321

kd2789mo
12-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey kd,

Thanks for the information. I just got back from picking the car up in san diego; had to drive back to oregon. In my new car though it was no bother.

I just pulled the phone and opened the back it is CDMA. I'll call singular this morning.

Again thanks.

Dierks321
If it's CDMA, call Verizon, not Cingular.
Cingular uses the GSM platform.
Verizon uses the CDMA platform.

Congrats on the new car :thumbup:

dierks321
12-09-2005, 11:44 PM
I'll call verizon tomorrow.

I called Cingular this morning and got the info that they are totally gsm. I then called BMWUSA again and was told the same story with a 911 twist. They said because these phones are not equipped with a gps chip they are no longer allowed. They said no phone company will reconnect the phone once the service has been cancelled. If that's the case I am somewhat ticked. Here I spend alot of money on this car and as far as the phone is concerned I'm getting less than my toyota highlander offers. My highlander has a hands free cradle that is tied into the audio system.

I asked BMW when they anticipated having a fix and they would not commit to a time frame. We're working on a bluetooth adapter. I then asked when the adapter became available would it be covered under the warranty. They said no, that this problem is not a defect it is a technology change that they had no control over. Even a dumb-ass Iowa farm boy like me could see that it would not be a good idea to design a entire integrated phone system around one type of phone. My phones seem to become obsolete faster than my computers. What were those German engineers thinking??

Other than the phone the car is absolutely a dream. I drove from vegas to so oregon; what a pleasure. The idrive was a snap; I think it's gotten a bad rap.

As I said before I started venting; thanks for the advice I'll call verizon tomorrow.

dierks321

pacsman
12-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I just purchased an 03 745LI last week. It would appear to me that a car that carries such a price tag and is still under warranty, would warrant that the manufacturer be obligated to either refund the cost of the telephone system or produce a bluetooth retrofit at little if any cost. Surely they do not expect customers to sit still much longer on this issue.

dierks321
12-16-2005, 10:43 PM
We need to make alot of noise. I feel that it is BMW's responsibility to anticipate where a particular technology is headed and plan accordingly and if they fail they need to provide a fix. Granted they can't be held responsible for ever but my car still has 30 months of warranty. As I said in another posting, it doesn't take a genius to see that cell phone technology is changing rapidly. Why they would design a system around one model of phone is beyond me.

billjhart
12-18-2005, 02:20 PM
The GSM only phone problem is even worse for '02 and '03 E65's since they depend on the phone being connected and working to use BMW Assist. Without the phone BMW Assist does not work. I've had my '03 745i for about 5 months and have been talking with BMW customer service regularly since I purchased the car. They will only say they are working on a Bluetooth retrofit kit, but have no idea when it might be available. They didn't seem to be too concerned until I made them realize I have no BMW Assist and neither does anyone else who has an '02 or '03 and can't get service for their BMW supplied phone. I've begun to think of legal rememdies, such as breach of warranty, misrepresentation of available services and car features, etc. Has anyone learned anything more from BMW or have any thoughts? Bill

bimmer7
12-18-2005, 02:37 PM
The GSM only phone problem is even worse for '02 and '03 E65's since they depend on the phone being connected and working to use BMW Assist. Without the phone BMW Assist does not work. I've had my '03 745i for about 5 months and have been talking with BMW customer service regularly since I purchased the car. They will only say they are working on a Bluetooth retrofit kit, but have no idea when it might be available. They didn't seem to be too concerned until I made them realize I have no BMW Assist and neither does anyone else who has an '02 or '03 and can't get service for their BMW supplied phone. I've begun to think of legal rememdies, such as breach of warranty, misrepresentation of available services and car features, etc. Has anyone learned anything more from BMW or have any thoughts? Bill

I agree...with what you are saying... But i dunno in Canada...what the dealerhsips have to say about the bluetooth retrofit... Im gonna call them on monday and find out... becuz its true I also have an '02 and it doesnt let me connect to the BMW assist when i press the SOS buton... :eeps:

kd2789mo
12-18-2005, 02:38 PM
All indication is, BMW has no immediate plans to produce a bluetooth retrofit for pre-ULF E65/66's.
There are a couple of aftermarket companies saying they will have a unit available early in '06, but it seems the time frame for them continues to get pushed back.

BMW does provide a non-GSM phone, which is compatible with all pre-ULF E65/66's. It is a Motorola v60, in the CDMA platform, serviced nationwide by Verizon.

philippek
12-18-2005, 02:39 PM
We need to make alot of noise. I feel that it is BMW's responsibility to anticipate where a particular technology is headed and plan accordingly and if they fail they need to provide a fix...Why they would design a system around one model of phone is beyond me.

That may be the single most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Would you like to lend BMW your crystal ball so they can predict everything, not just cell phone technology? BMW never wanted to be in the phone business in the first place, they were pretty much dragged kicking and screaming into it. This problem has been a persistent issue since car phones became reality. Hell, try to get phone service on an E38 or E39, and those old school analog motorolas. With bluetooth now available they finally managed to gracefully leave the phone biz.

I've heard that cellular phones have a product lifecycle of 4 months (I'm sure the phone gurus here will correcct me if I'm wrong). How you can expect BMW to stock phones which have been out of production for years is beyond me.

dierks321
12-18-2005, 05:58 PM
'I've heard that cellular phones have a product lifecycle of 4 months'

That's exactly my point. I think very highly of BMW and their engineering ability. With that said, it doesn't take and engineer to see that it wouldn't be a good idea to design a built in phone system around one model of phone. I don't know how it should have been done, but Toyota does; my Highlander will accept any phone.