PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove a scratch?

evilfactoryowne
01-14-2002, 11:03 AM
I was washing my car on Sunday and I drop the hose, which nicked my paint. The mark is only about 1/8 of an inch long and 1/16 of an inch wide, but I still know its there and it bothers me! Does any one know a solution to remove this blemish?

Guest84
01-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Fine hand polish, maybe some of that Scratch-X product? (never used it) and a coat of wax.

If it was ME, I'd use my Porter cable random orbital with Griots Machine Polish #2, then Machine polish #3, then P21S Paint Cleaner (helps with scratches, swirls), then wax it.

in_d_haus
01-14-2002, 01:47 PM
I'm playing around with the best way to cover/fill rockchips. I'll let ya know what I figure out.

Guest84
01-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Doug, how deep is the penetration of those chips..or rather, what color is the chip at the bottom? I noticed the one big rock chip I had showed a dark brown color (primer?) at the base, I used some touch up paint for that one...but I've just noticed some little tiny ones right where you said they would be, but these have a white base to them..possible clear coat? Not sure..they are very miniscule...anyway, I'm really considering a clear bra now...

in_d_haus
01-14-2002, 01:55 PM
Some of mine are all the way through to bare metal, others are into the primer (white) and the least are just the clearcoat. Considering I put 80mi a day on my car I get lots of chances for chips of all kinds. Wish I hadn't let the dealer talk me out of the chip protection...

Guest84
01-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Well, mines still not bad enough to deem "too late"..so I may have to buy one...they do take a beating up on the emblem-part of the hood!

in_d_haus
01-14-2002, 02:17 PM
Process so far:
1) Wash area to remove wax.
2) Fill with color coat and let dry.
3) 2nd color coat fill and let dry.
4) Fill with Clear Coat and let dry.
5) Sand level with finish (fine sandpaper)
6) polish with Griots #2
7) polish with Griots #3
8) wax.