PDA

View Full Version : e46 navigation tape to cd swap

fast five
12-06-2005, 06:57 AM
i have a 2002 330i 5 speed with navigation, it is the widescreen moniter with the mkIII cd based system. I absolutly have to keep the stock navigation in the car (long story) and want to switch the tape player behind the unit to the cd version from the mkIV system...is it possible to replace just this unit and not the screen? will this still get me the auxillary input as in the mkIV units? im aware that if it is i will have to upgrade the radio but can i keep the mkIII computer/cd drive or do i have to upgrade to the mkIV at the same time? I will later be adding sirius, nav tv, and an ipod hookup. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Technic
12-06-2005, 08:37 AM
i have a 2002 330i 5 speed with navigation, it is the widescreen moniter with the mkIII cd based system. I absolutly have to keep the stock navigation in the car (long story) and want to switch the tape player behind the unit to the cd version from the mkIV system...1)is it possible to replace just this unit and not the screen? 2)will this still get me the auxillary input as in the mkIV units? im aware that if it is i will have to upgrade the radio but 3)can i keep the mkIII computer/cd drive or do i have to upgrade to the mkIV at the same time? I will later be adding sirius, nav tv, and an ipod hookup. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Yes, with P/N 65 52 6 987 218

2) No, you have to replace the radio tuner in the trunk. That's where the AUX connection is located, not in the screen housing.

3) You will have to replace the MKIII with a MKIV -and the radio tuner- if you really want to eventually get the OEM Sirius. The only iPod adapter currently available for Navigation cars is the ice>Link, not the OEM. You do not need to upgrade anything to use the ice>Link adapter in your current Navigation configuration. NavTV can be added any time. :thumbup:

fast five
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
on the mk4 navigatio unit, the aux input IS behind the nav screen... the audio changer controls and sirius connections are in the trunk.... you can lose your cd changer and replace it with an aux input, this must be what your thinking about

i know for sirius i will need the mk4 dvd unit but if i only switch the cd player and radio to the new units will i be able to use the in dash cd? i geuss im asking does the radio module control the cd player soley or does it need the mk4 unit as well.... not too many people seem to do this, ive searched like crazy on bimmerfest, e46 fanatics, bimmerforums, and bimmerboard

any idea on a price for P/N 65 52 6 987 218 where did you find that? if in another post a link would be awesome

Technic
12-06-2005, 01:05 PM
1) on the mk4 navigatio unit, the aux input IS behind the nav screen... the audio changer controls and sirius connections are in the trunk.... you can lose your cd changer and replace it with an aux input, this must be what your thinking about

i know for sirius i will need the mk4 dvd unit but if i only switch the cd player and radio to the new units will i be able to use the in dash cd? 2)i geuss im asking does the radio module control the cd player soley or does it need the mk4 unit as well.... not too many people seem to do this, ive searched like crazy on bimmerfest, e46 fanatics, bimmerforums, and bimmerboard

3)any idea on a price for P/N 65 52 6 987 218 where did you find that? if in another post a link would be awesome

1) What you see behind the screen is the plug of the AUX input cable that goes all the way back to the tuner in the trunk. You plug in the AUX jack assembly cable to that connector. You will not find that plug in your 2002... you will have to recreate one from the trunk to wherever you want the jack to be in the cockpit:

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/BMW%20AUX%20Input%20Installation.pdf

2) The Nav tuner controls the CD Player and part of the Sirius functionality (presets) in the case of the 2003-on Navigation tuners, the MKIV controls the GUI interface (what you see in the screen) of both the Nav and the OEM Sirius. I do not see any problems in replacing the tape housing unit with the CD player one, or requiring new tuner or computer for that. Some members in this forum have swapped complete 4:3 screens with Tape units for 16:9 screens with CD Players as easy as plug and play without problems. And your case is much less complicated than that.

In the worst case, a Nav computer firmware upgrade will maybe be needed to get all the parts back in line together, but honestly I doubt it.

3) Go to www.realoem.com/bmw for more part numbers and illustrations.

fast five
12-06-2005, 02:15 PM
1. so if i replace the casette with the cd behind the nav, i get the aux input in the hack of nav unit as well, correct? why does the aux cable go back to the trunk? does it just chill there or is it hooked up to anything? this aux in the back of the unit is used to make the navtv sound stereo instead of mono... wanting to go with oem sirius, and blitzsafe combo unit... aux in for ipod and mp3 cd changer either alpine or pioneer.... all should transmit text to nav unit with all mk4 equip correct?

2. with the mk3 stuff the only option for wired aux in is to kill the cd changer and you still dont get real text display correct?

3. just to throw out there, im installing a 4ch amp 2 sets of components and mono amp and cap with two 10's... should be in within a week or two.... it cant stare at me piled on the floor in my room much longer!

i was planning on buying an avic n2 but found a car with factory nav... and seeing as im a tool and didnt pay for my car, i dont have a very good arguement for taking out the factory nav, my other cars have been simple head unit intalls but since its about 2g to replace all the factory nav equipment if i mess it up bad, along with making the car even harder to turn back to stock im gonna use the money to work around the factory nav

Technic
12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
1. so if i replace the casette with the cd behind the nav, i get the aux input in the hack of nav unit as well, correct? why does the aux cable go back to the trunk? does it just chill there or is it hooked up to anything? this aux in the back of the unit is used to make the navtv sound stereo instead of mono... wanting to go with oem sirius, and blitzsafe combo unit... aux in for ipod and mp3 cd changer either alpine or pioneer.... all should transmit text to nav unit with all mk4 equip correct?

2. with the mk3 stuff the only option for wired aux in is to kill the cd changer and you still dont get real text display correct?

3. just to throw out there, im installing a 4ch amp 2 sets of components and mono amp and cap with two 10's... should be in within a week or two.... it cant stare at me piled on the floor in my room much longer!

i was planning on buying an avic n2 but found a car with factory nav... and seeing as im a tool and didnt pay for my car, i dont have a very good arguement for taking out the factory nav, my other cars have been simple head unit intalls but since its about 2g to replace all the factory nav equipment if i mess it up bad, along with making the car even harder to turn back to stock im gonna use the money to work around the factory nav

You need to read again my last two posts... good luck. :thumbup:

fast five
12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
thanks for all the help... man what a PITA, it would be just as expensive if not cheaper to get an aftermarket unit with what i was hoping to do... definatly will be utilizing ebay

alright i reread what you said... then reread what i asked again (which didnt even make much sense.... its finals week and i didnt go to sleep last night so thanks for only laughing on the inside) i think im all cleared up and after some further research i found two people who tried to swap out the cassette player for the cd unit. it turns out the mk3 radio tuner unit does not recognize the cd player (after installation, the "tape" option would not go away and could not be fixed with software upgrades) and had to be replaced with a newer unit... no software upgrade. i did not get information on weather the computer had to be upgraded. maybe i happened to read about two people who just didnt find the right software uprgrades.

just to be sure were talking apples to apples when i say radio tuner module im talking about the box mounted vertically and the cd nav unit as the box you insert your navigation disc into.

i dont know if this would be relevant but i had a 2000 540i6sp for 5 months that had a 16:9 screen and i think a mk3 radio tuner (installed when i bought car)... the mk3 cd nav unit broke after only a week and somehow my dad got bmw to ship it off to get fixed/refurbished... while the nav unit was gone i still had full sound from the dsp amp along with fully functioning radio controls and tape player but no cd changer controls. This would make it seem that the radio tuner unit controls whats behind the screen not the nav drive (both systems are plug and play as far as wiring harnesses)

anyone ever disable their mk4 dvd computer and see what other functions work? i think this would help alot

sorry for bein anal about this but these are expensive components and im a pilot.... a drunk.... but still, an anal pilot