PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket (Garmin, Magellan, etc.) Nav/GPS?

cattman
12-06-2005, 11:32 AM
I do not have a nav system built into my car.
What device (such as a Garmin Street Pilot, TomTom Go, Magellin, etc.) would you recommend?

Daver
12-06-2005, 07:33 PM
I've been using a Garmin Quest since they were first available... love it! Can easily be moved from one car to another, and small enough to be use hand-held if I want. I've heard the new Garmin Nuvu (?) is supposed to be quite cool as well.

LDV330i
12-06-2005, 10:49 PM
I have had a Garmin 2610 (http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610/)for nearly a year and have been very pleased with it. Then only thing is that is a relatively large and heavy unit. I would try to avoid any Nav system with a hard drive. Although it is convenient to have the entire US preloaded it is not really necessary unless you constantly plan on driving all over the US. This convenience does not offset the possibility of damaging the hard drive by rough handling.

SRFast
12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
I do not have a nav system built into my car.
What device (such as a Garmin Street Pilot, TomTom Go, Magellin, etc.) would you recommend?

I just purchased a Garmin nuvi 350. This system uses the latest GPS chipset and has many features. It is very small and can be moved from car to car and be used as a handheld GPS.

Hope this helps....JL

drsides
12-09-2005, 03:09 PM
All-
ive been doing a lot of research and i'm am leaning toward the tomtom go 700. Mainly just because of its bluetooth phone integration.

Its also supposed to be well built and be very easy to use.

But i am pretty concerned about the pretty universal concern that its difficult to see the display in sunlight. Can anyone comment on that concern?

wish i could find a nice info site for gps like dpreview is for digital cameras or phonescoop is for cell phones. Anyone found one?

dan

cprgolds
12-09-2005, 11:23 PM
All-
wish i could find a nice info site for gps like dpreview is for digital cameras or phonescoop is for cell phones. Anyone found one?

dan
You might want to take a look at:

http://gpspassion.com/fr/default.asp?_SetCurrentVersion=EN

Check out the forums....