PDA

View Full Version : Stealthy XM - finally!

Tremendo
12-07-2005, 08:12 AM
I have wanted satellite radio, and BMW would not do Sirius (05, M3 Cab, BMW assist), although I know I could have gotten the parts and did it 3rd party. I decided to get the 1/8" Aux adaptor from BMW, and had an XM radio (XM Commander) installed hidden, to go with my stealthy K40 radar/laser detector/diffuser. The antenna is pretty small and inside on the front right of the dash and works fine.

It came out great and is very functional. :thumbup:

Daver
12-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I used the XM-Direct product... integrates seamless with the headunit in my '03 325iT. Though it reads 'SIRIUS' on the display when I change to that mode, it's actually XM. I get station ID on the display, hitting the Inf button momentarily displays artist then song-title.

The XM unit resides in the rear hatch area by the CD changer, and the antenna is the terk micro... sits on the roof fairly unobtrusively.

When I had XM in my Z3 Coupe, I used the same the XM-Commander... the Coupe's dash and cockpit space was so cramped, there was nowhere stealthy to put the display/control unit. Regardless, I really like the ergonmics and all of that setup.