PDA

View Full Version : rattle "fixed" by dealer--still there...

texasrad
12-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I have a 2006 750Li that I took delivery on in September 2006. The car has phenomenal handling, and even the I-drive isn't so bad once you get used to it.

However, at 4800 miles, the car developed a rattle in the dashboard. The rattle was mainly on the passenger side, but occasionally on the driver's side. I brought it in to the dealer at 5000 miles to be fixed (I went ahead and had the oil changed too--19K miles seems a bit much for the first service).

The car stayed at the dealer for almost a week. The dealer claimed that the rattle had to do with some material that secured the windshield. The passenger side rattle is improved, but on some bumps a rattle is audible from the drivers side or the center.

It is frustrating to have this problem on a $80K car--my 2000 5-series has 140,000 miles on it and has no rattles.

Has anybody else had similar experiences with their 7? I'd appreciate your advice and suggestions.

BmW745On19's
12-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Our sunroof cover rattles sometimes but only over serious pot holes, which we try to avoid. Seats also squeak a little bit too which gets annoying on early morning drives when you are just waking up and the radio is off.

///MLover
12-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Well i paid 96K and i am having problems too. Well the rattling for about 3 min on a cold start. And bluetooth is not working. Car stayed their from Monday till Yesterday :cry: And they never fixed ****. I hate Irvine bmw a lot. I got in an arguement with them now the service technician that had troubleshooted the bluetooth. So i told him how bout i bring the car again and YOU show me that it is working. They said that it paired with someones phone they had tried. I dont believe that bull **** one bit. He sounded very scared. Man dealers dont do crap. All they do is just call around other dealers to see what they have done with thoes problems. :tsk:

2006_750Li_ED
12-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Texasrad, my car just started the exact problem you are describing.

my car just trned 5,000 miles and the dashboard rattles on bumps in a very ennoying way, since BMW has such bad service.... I have to get used to the idea that I will need to part from the car for 4 days again..... I have only had the car since July 17 and it has been in 4 times.
I noticed that the rattle started with the cold weather, as soon as temperatures went below 60.
a second proble I have is when I start the car cold I also get a vibration of the engine for the first minute, then it goes away.

I know that if I bring the car to the dealer I will be driving a Chevy corsica or another cheap rental that Enterprise rentacar gives out, and I know that the dealer will tell me that they can not hear it, or that they fastened something and the proble will still be there.
otherwise the car drives like a DREAM, but when it needs service that dream turns into a nightmare.

The ratle comes from the dashboard as if some major item in it is loose, perhaps due to the cold weather some part shrunk and got loose, it is a very enoying rattle that comes from the entire dashboard.

So you are not alone and it is a manufacturing defect.

LouisBMW
12-12-2005, 11:28 AM
I am totally agree with "2006_750Li_ED" about the cheap rental car and "can't duplicate the problem" standard answer. Besides that, the local dealer here also has a "2-week penalty" policy if you want a loaner car.

My 745i has the engine vibration too for about 1 minute when cold start. To bypass that, now, I wait about 20-30 seconds after start the engine and then drive. Looks like teh engine need "warm-up" even the manual says not. I also have the rattle sound from both dashboard and sunroof. The sunroof rattle is more annoying. I hear it clearly every time pass non-smooth road. It sounds like plastic board rattling. I will bring it in after the Holiday.

duke4739
12-13-2005, 03:33 PM
I have a 2006 750i,less than 1000 miles,Oct. delivery. I too have the dash rattle. It almost sounds like ice somewhere near where the dash meets the windshield. The colder the day the more it is noticeable. Below freezing rattle,well above little or no rattle,as the car get warmer inside,almost no rattle. Warm weather,no rattle! What's up?

///MLover
12-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Take a look at this.... And still no more responses :bawling: And also about that bluetooth.. I called the service advisor up and told him that it is still not working. He said its fine. So i sceduled another appointment with thim and the service tech that worked on my car to show me that it is working. I have a brand new Razor and a V600. Both are Motorola. And yes they are both approved by bmw(means that they are FULLY compatible) :rolleyes:

Malibubimmer
12-17-2005, 05:18 PM
I have a brand new Razor and a V600. Both are Motorola. And yes they are both approved by bmw(means that they are FULLY compatible) :rolleyes:
Who are the service providers for the phones? Are the phone-service provider combinations approved by BMW? Not all bluetooth phones are alike. Not all "approved" phones" work with different service providers. This has been posted quite a bit here, especially on the 6er forum.

After looking at your work order I think you should leave the car at the dealer. Park it outside and go there the next morning. Take your service advisor to the car, start it and . . . usually the damn thing won't repeat your problems when a service advisor is there . . . but maybe you'll get lucky.

G750
12-17-2005, 06:03 PM
I have the same rattle coming from the dash that started last month, very annoying. sounds like a loose metallic object in front of the driver's side. In addition, there is another rattle coming from the passenger seat as well.

My Navi/radio/SOS phone/Bluetooth combo crashed last week and the car is going in on monday. Not too impressed with the reliability so far. :thumbdwn:

///MLover
12-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Well the service providers website that was up like 5 months ago is not up anymore. But i remember them they were the Verizon, Cingular, T-mobile, And some others that i dont remember. But the phones that i use were on that page. The site was something lke bmw assist or something like that. And yes they were approved by bmw. But thiss had stopped working since i had the new update done. :bawling: I just hate it when i pay that much for a vehicle and there are so many problems with it :( ..... Also does anyone have a problem when you have a full tank of gas. And the low gas indicator comes on... Please let me know... And one other thing for the shaking or rattleing well... I have never parked my vehicle out side once.. Always in a garage thats temapture is over 65 degrees F.. srry forgot how to spell farenhite... Well everymorning or afternoon i get that shake. Just dont know why..........

Malibubimmer
12-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Well the service providers website that was up like 5 months ago is not up anymore. But i remember them they were the Verizon, Cingular, T-mobile, And some others that i dont remember. But the phones that i use were on that page. The site was something lke bmw assist or something like that. And yes they were approved by bmw. But thiss had stopped working since i had the new update done. :bawling: I just hate it when i pay that much for a vehicle and there are so many problems with it :( ..... Also does anyone have a problem when you have a full tank of gas. And the low gas indicator comes on... Please let me know... And one other thing for the shaking or rattleing well... I have never parked my vehicle out side once.. Always in a garage thats temapture is over 65 degrees F.. srry forgot how to spell farenhite... Well everymorning or afternoon i get that shake. Just dont know why..........
Let's focus for a second. The service provider/phone combinations have not changed. since at least July when I first looked at them. The only approved service provider for the RAZR is Cingular. Is your service provider Cingular? (I have a RAZR with T-Mobile and I do not have full functionalty. I blame that on me, not BMW.)

As for your other problem, you need to show it to your SA yourself. Stop letting the SA tell you what he/she sees or notices in your absence. Are you willing to do this?

duke4739
12-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I HAD the 750i dash rattle,1000 miles old,especially when cold. Answer:there is a rubber lip at the base of the windshield,oustide under the wiper blades. It can be lifted slightly with fingers or say a credit card and as you slide your fingers across the base of the windshield,spray a little silicon,through a plastic tube at the base of the windshield. As they say,VIOLA!. Annoying noise gone.

///MLover
12-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Well umm I dropped off the 7 today. And well my luck was that my service advisor was on lunch for more than an our for some reason. :thumbdwn: So then some pissed of service consultant took care of me. And so then we had to argue to give me a rental car.(Hertz a camry :tsk: ) Well hes like that for bluetooth i cant give you one. So then all of the sudden it came to me that i had to tell him about the rattleing of the engine :D . So umm he got me a slip to get one. :) And I will not forget that part on the receipt that said "Still Waiting..." He is never at his desk even when they call him up. So i just dont know to either rate him low or what? Last thing that i was pissed off about was that the advisor said the leave my cell phone their for the rest of the weekend. pesshhh Hell no He also said that he will call me as soon as he comes back from lunch :tsk: ..... Just dont get it. I wish that their service was like Shelly bmw's. Eventhough the are owned by the same person. :eek: I also heard that the guy drives a mercedes :tsk: Any comments?

///MLover
12-30-2005, 07:32 PM
My car has finally been fixed... (It will soon) I just the 750 back today and the dealer said that they found some part loose (Bmw Head Quarters of Virginia) So it will be here in a week to two :D So ill update on from there...

-Pwned

Malibubimmer
12-30-2005, 07:57 PM
My car has finally been fixed... (It will soon) I just the 750 back today and the dealer said that they found some part loose (Bmw Head Quarters of Virginia) So it will be here in a week to two :D So ill update on from there...

-Pwned
A week or two??? My God! What is the Lemon Law in Virginnie? In California it's 30 days and yer out! Aren't you here in the Big Orange? If so, you have rights!

///MLover
12-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Look tell me what i should do. I will take action if the rattle doesnt get fixed from the part that he ordered.

///MLover
12-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh ya for the bluetooth. It is totally different to pair it with the car from looking at the manual. Man o man the technician came out and helped me. :angel: So now i learned it and its great. For some reason i have to do it some weird way for the 750 but not for the other cars :rofl:

2006_750Li_ED
12-31-2005, 01:03 PM
if they do not fix it, bring the car back again. do it 3 times and get a new car.

Then when you get the new car, bring it in again because all the 750s have it, and bring it in 4 times because they do not know how to fix it, and then do it again and get a 2007, then do it again until the new 2008 body style comes out....
I just saw a brand new 750Li and it has it too....

Malibubimmer
12-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Look tell me what i should do. I will take action if the rattle doesnt get fixed from the part that he ordered.
Here's the California Lemon Law. I have bold faced the relevant passages. Either 30 days or a "reasonable" number of attempts. For non-life threatening problems, that's usually considered 4 times.
California Civil Code 1793.2. Maintenance of Service and Repair Facilities; Time Limits; Replacement of Nonconforming Goods
(a) Every manufacturer of consumer goods sold in this state and for which the manufacturer has made an express warranty shall:
(1)(A) Maintain in this state sufficient service and repair facilities reasonably close to all areas where its consumer goods are sold to carry out the terms of those warranties or designate and authorize in this state as service and repair facilities independent repair or service facilities reasonably close to all areas where its consumer goods are sold to carry out the terms of the warranties.
(B) As a means of complying with this paragraph, a manufacturer may enter into warranty service contracts with independent service and repair facilities. The warranty service contracts may provide for a fixed schedule of rates to be charged for warranty service or warranty repair work. However, the rates fixed by those contracts shall be in conformity with the requirements of subdivision (c) of Section 1793.3. The rates established pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 1793.3, between the manufacturer and the independent service and repair facility, do not preclude a good faith discount that is reasonably related to reduced credit and general overhead cost factors arising from the manufacturer's payment of warranty charges direct to the independent service and repair facility. The warranty service contracts authorized by this paragraph may not be executed to cover a period of time in excess of one year, and may be renewed only by a separate, new contract or letter of agreement between the manufacturer and the independent service and repair facility.
(2) In the event of a failure to comply with paragraph (1) of this subdivision, be subject to Section 1793.5.
(3) Make available to authorized service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and replacement parts to effect repairs during the express warranty period.
(b) Where those service and repair facilities are maintained in this state and service or repair of the goods is necessary because they do not conform with the applicable express warranties, service and repair shall be commenced within a reasonable time by the manufacturer or its representative in this state. Unless the buyer agrees in writing to the contrary, the goods shall be serviced or repaired so as to conform to the applicable warranties within 30 days. Delay caused by conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its representatives shall serve to extend this 30-day requirement. Where delay arises, conforming goods shall be tendered as soon as possible following termination of the condition giving rise to the delay.
(c) The buyer shall deliver nonconforming goods to the manufacturer's service and repair facility within this state, unless, due to reasons of size and weight, or method of attachment, or method of installation, or nature of the nonconformity, delivery cannot reasonably be accomplished. If the buyer cannot return the nonconforming goods for any of these reasons, he or she shall notify the manufacturer or its nearest service and repair facility within the state. Written notice of nonconformity to the manufacturer or its service and repair facility shall constitute return of the goods for purposes of this section. Upon receipt of that notice of nonconformity, the manufacturer shall, at its option, service or repair the goods at the buyer's residence, or pick up the goods for service and repair, or arrange for transporting the goods to its service and repair facility. All reasonable costs of transporting the goods when a buyer cannot return them for any of the above reasons shall be at the manufacturer's expense. The reasonable costs of transporting nonconforming goods after delivery to the service and repair facility until return of the goods to the buyer shall be at the manufacturer's expense.
(d)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), if the manufacturer or its representative in this state does not service or repair the goods to conform to the applicable express warranties after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall either replace the goods or reimburse the buyer in an amount equal to the purchase price paid by the buyer, less that amount directly attributable to use by the buyer prior to the discovery of the nonconformity.
(2) If the manufacturer or its representative in this state is unable to service or repair a new motor vehicle, as that term is defined in paragraph (2) of subdivision (e) of Section 1793.22, to conform to the applicable express warranties after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall either promptly replace the new motor vehicle in accordance with subparagraph (A) or promptly make restitution to the buyer in accordance with subparagraph (B). However, the buyer shall be free to elect restitution in lieu of replacement, and in no event shall the buyer be required by the manufacturer to accept a replacement vehicle.
(A) In the case of replacement, the manufacturer shall replace the buyer's vehicle with a new motor vehicle substantially identical to the vehicle replaced. The replacement vehicle shall be accompanied by all express and implied warranties that normally accompany new motor vehicles of that specific kind. The manufacturer also shall pay for, or to, the buyer the amount of any sales or use tax, license fees, registration fees, and other official fees which the buyer is obligated to pay in connection with the replacement, plus any incidental damages to which the buyer is entitled under Section 1794, including, but not limited to, reasonable repair, towing, and rental car costs actually incurred by the buyer.
(B) In the case of restitution, the manufacturer shall make restitution in an amount equal to the actual price paid or payable by the buyer, including any charges for transportation and manufacturer-installed options, but excluding nonmanufacturer items installed by a dealer or the buyer, and including any collateral charges such as sales tax, license fees, registration fees, and other official fees, plus any incidental damages to which the buyer is entitled under Section 1794, including, but not limited to, reasonable repair, towing, and rental car costs actually incurred by the buyer.
(C) When the manufacturer replaces the new motor vehicle pursuant to subparagraph (A), the buyer shall only be liable to pay the manufacturer an amount directly attributable to use by the buyer of the replaced vehicle prior to the time the buyer first delivered the vehicle to the manufacturer or distributor, or its authorized service and repair facility for correction of the problem that gave rise to the nonconformity. When restitution is made pursuant to subparagraph (B), the amount to be paid by the manufacturer to the buyer may be reduced by the manufacturer by that amount directly attributable to use by the buyer prior to the time the buyer first delivered the vehicle to the manufacturer or distributor, or its authorized service and repair facility for correction of the problem that gave rise to the nonconformity. The amount directly attributable to use by the buyer shall be determined by multiplying the actual price of the new motor vehicle paid or payable by the buyer, including any charges for transportation and manufacturer-installed options, by a fraction having as its denominator 120,000 and having as its numerator the number of miles traveled by the new motor vehicle prior to the time the buyer first delivered the vehicle to the manufacturer or distributor, or its authorized service and repair facility for correction of the problem that gave rise to the nonconformity. Nothing in this paragraph shall in any way limit the rights or remedies available to the buyer under any other law.
(e)(1) If the goods cannot practicably be serviced or repaired by the manufacturer or its representative to conform to the applicable express warranties because of the method of installation or because the goods have become so affixed to real property as to become a part thereof, the manufacturer shall either replace and install the goods or reimburse the buyer in an amount equal to the purchase price paid by the buyer, including installation costs, less that amount directly attributable to use by the buyer prior to the discovery of the nonconformity.

Rosettastone
03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I purchased my 750 in May 2005. Around 12000 miles or so I started hearing a clicking rattle noise coming from the windshield. The car sounded like a jalopy and came from the drivers side and sometimes from the passenger side .
I took it in and was without a car for a week. They replaced the seals around the windshield and a week later the winshield /dash clicking noise returned intermittently.
I then returned the car for them to reseal the windshield and was without the car for another 3 days.
Once again after 3 days the noise returned and the dealer suggested a new winshield to be put in. They did that and the noise has become worse.
This is a nightmare to deal with.
Has anybody found a fix for this problem ?

nbs3001
03-08-2006, 08:09 AM
I have a 02 745 and the exhaust makes a rattling noise when ever i turn on the car..Did anyone have the same problem? Also if i take it to the dealer will this be covered by the warranty?

RPR50
03-08-2006, 12:19 PM
There's a service bulletin out on this. It's the windshield gasket. They can fix w/o replacing the windshield. Mine's fixed. It was a long journey, but it's fixed. Call Dave Walter BMW of Akron, OH.

BmW745On19's
03-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Discussed here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130464&highlight=rattle+control)

beimerdude
05-26-2006, 03:30 AM
I just posted a new thread dealing with this windshield cracking noise. I have a 2006 with about 4000 miles on it and I started to hear this cracking noise all the time. What do I need to do ?! :mad: :tsk: :bawling: :eeps: :confused: :( :cry: :thumbdwn: :yikes: :eek:

I really don't feel like losing my car for a few days and get a crappy loaner? :(

Leebird
12-20-2013, 07:31 AM
I have a 2007 750 LI, I have associated many rattles what appear to be coming up above in the headliner area, I have established that the noise is coming from the sunroof seal rubbing against the seal when closed, all of my rattles, squeaks disappear when my sunroof is slightly opened, vented or all the way open, I lubed up the gaskets with silicone and the noises are completely gone. I would assume this would work for most of you as long as your noise disappears when your sunroof is open.

Leebird