PDA

View Full Version : Biggest 7-series meet in the world!!!

omak
12-09-2005, 08:55 AM
This must be the biggest gathering of the latest 7-series in the world! No it's not an owners meet, but rather these are the cars to be used to carry delegates of the WTO Meeting in Hong Kong.

HKG is expecting trouble from protestors hence the two container high temporary fence around the site which will be used as the Police command centre.

2006_750Li_ED
12-09-2005, 08:14 PM
How can you tell which car that is, these cars look too short to be 7 series.

they could be Volkswagen Passat cars or even the old Audi 6 series or even Nissan Altimas.

omak
12-09-2005, 08:46 PM
they are all 7's...
I know because these photos are taken from my office which is just across the street from the site. Don't you recognise your own car? :dunno:

gbelton
12-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Any other details to share? Nice Helecopter pictures but a story to connect with other 7er owners would be great...

Any reason BMW hasn't published this great news you shared with us? They did it for the Z8 this year. Hmmm

Something smells fishy but I am sure you will have more details to clear the speculation...

Thanks for sharing anyway.

GMAN

BmW745On19's
12-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Zoomed in picture-

///MLover
12-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Very Nice. Maybe if Bmw has a dealer in That country that might be their huge lot. Wish I had that many of tehm :cry:

2006_750Li_ED
12-10-2005, 12:42 AM
WOW, these really are 7 series, 2006 models too.
This looks like the BMW VPC.
these cars look like they are organized by color, they must be for sale, why would they organize them this way ?
by the way, what do tou do in Hong Kong?

2006_750Li_ED
12-10-2005, 12:44 AM
They all seem to have orange plates. Are these Hong Kong plates?

This is so weired

2006_750Li_ED
12-10-2005, 12:53 AM
I counted 243 7 series. about $20,000,000 $20 Million worth of 7 Series

gbelton
12-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Wow,

That's a lot of cashola! If you look at the numbers from BMW in ASPAC (Japan) they do not match. Total number sold etc... This may very well be the VPC.

I was hoping the poster would provide additional context but I guess my suspicions are true... Anyway, its nice to see so many 7ers.

GMAN

omak
12-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi guys

I thought you guys might like to see what I thought was a great sight to see so many 7's put together in a place other than a BMW holding yard/factory, but all I get is suspicion!! :cry: I couldn't really understand what was so suspicious? If it's a VPC, I wish I was BMW HK too selling ONLY 7's!

Anyway... to "clear the speculations"...

The World Trade Organisation which was started by the US is having it's 6th meeting in Hong Kong.

Here's an article about BMW providing 280 7-Series as official limousines:
http://english.people.com*****200511/30/eng20051130_224598.html

More details about the WTO Meeting in Hong Kong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTO_Ministerial_Conference_of_2005

These are all MY06 facelifted 7's. Can't confirm which model in particular though.

For those that didn't know, there are more BMWs and Mercedes Benz than taxis in HK - and there are a lot of taxis!!

HK has been under British rule until 1997, so most things including number plate's format follows the English - white at the front, orange at the rear. It's not that weird really, there are many different styles of number plates around the world!

Os

SONET
12-10-2005, 11:23 AM
:wow:

gbelton
12-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi guys

I thought you guys might like to see what I thought was a great sight to see so many 7's put together in a place other than a BMW holding yard/factory, but all I get is suspicion!! :cry: I couldn't really understand what was so suspicious? If it's a VPC, I wish I was BMW HK too selling ONLY 7's!

Anyway... to "clear the speculations"...

The World Trade Organisation which was started by the US is having it's 6th meeting in Hong Kong.

Here's an article about BMW providing 280 7-Series as official limousines:
http://english.people.com*****200511/30/eng20051130_224598.html

More details about the WTO Meeting in Hong Kong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTO_Ministerial_Conference_of_2005

These are all MY06 facelifted 7's. Can't confirm which model in particular though.

For those that didn't know, there are more BMWs and Mercedes Benz than taxis in HK - and there are a lot of taxis!!

HK has been under British rule until 1997, so most things including number plate's format follows the English - white at the front, orange at the rear. It's not that weird really, there are many different styles of number plates around the world!

Os Thanks for the information. Don't get hung up on what we said about your post. Take it as an opportunity. When you post something, provide context. Everyone is not thinking on the same wave length your were when you sent it.

It's good to see so many 7ers being an owner but I suspect that many people couldn't relate to "Biggest 7ers meet in the world" and you gave no other information than a few pitures. One has to speculate especially when you took so long to respond.

Tell me, what were you expecting? Anyway, thank you for the follow-up and I apologize if my words offended you.

GMAN

omak
12-10-2005, 12:16 PM
No worries. Everyone must have missed my 2 lines about what the pics related to in my original post.

I took a bit of time to reply as I'm on the other side of the world, hence the time difference.

gbelton
12-10-2005, 12:56 PM
No worries. Everyone must have missed my 2 lines about what the pics related to in my original post.

I took a bit of time to come as I'm on the other side of the world, hence the time difference.
Cool man,

I re-read your post.

Thanks,

GMAN

bimmer7
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Wow thats a lot of 7 series. . .it is amazing to see so many in one place parked like that! :thumbup:

damills
12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Do you know if they are all new? Wonder what BMW's angle is? Everyone ride in the 7-series, then they sell them at invoice to dump them?

2006_750Li_ED
12-10-2005, 08:02 PM
The pictures you provided us are a rare phenomena and I think that you have done a great job here by sharing it with us.

These pictures looked is so unreal that I had to question it, it is not every day that one is presented with so many 7 series.

RE the cost BMW is incurring by offering these cars, it is minimal compared to the advertising they get.
If all of these cars are driven 200-300 miles they will not depreciate that much, perhaps a couple thousand dollars each by being demo cars, so this event would cost BMW less than 1 Million, which comparing to the amount of money spent on TV ads, it is very minimal.

Thank you very much for these pictures, I really like the closeup that let me identify a lot of them as new 2006 production cars.

omak
12-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm glad you guys are as amazed at seeing these as I was seeing them in real life!
The deal for BMW is simple, all the cars will be (I mean has already been) sold at HK $100k - 150k discount, ie US $12-20k discount.

People in HK saw the same phenomenon in 1997 when the English returned HK back to Chinese rule. That time round, Mercedes Benz S-Classes had the honours!

indianboy821
12-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Awesome pictures!

What kind of cars are those on the right side in the first picture??

omak
12-10-2005, 09:14 PM
surprise surprise.... also MY06 7 series!

There should be a total of 280 of them parked there. :thumbup:

2006_750Li_ED
12-11-2005, 06:49 AM
This explains why there is a shortage of 7 series in the U.S

They were busy making them for this event.I only counted 243 in your picture, does the parking lot extend more to the other side ?

omak
12-11-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure if the left hand drive 7's are made along side the right hand drives as sold in Hong Kong. Are all 7's made in Germany?

chuck92103
12-11-2005, 09:27 AM
This explains where all the "buy backs" go.

Just kidding. :D

2006_750Li_ED
12-11-2005, 11:12 AM
All 7s are made in the same dactory in Germany, Dingolfing.

All 7s sit on the same assembly line, and are accessorized according to the purchase order. I saw it in the 3 series factory in Munich, it is amazing.
on the 3 series, it is exactly the same car and they just put the steering wheel on the other side, this is amazing to watch.

bimmer7
12-11-2005, 11:21 AM
All 7s are made in the same dactory in Germany, Dingolfing.

All 7s sit on the same assembly line, and are accessorized according to the purchase order. I saw it in the 3 series factory in Munich, it is amazing.
on the 3 series, it is exactly the same car and they just put the steering wheel on the other side, this is amazing to watch.

Now I may have missed it when you got delivery of your 750 '06. . .can you share the European Delivery experience with us or perhaps if you already have post the link to it :)

2006_750Li_ED
12-11-2005, 05:02 PM
When I did my European Delivery in the end of may (hence my nick ends with ED=European Delivery) I was not a member of this forum, so I did not post anything.

I would strongly advise people to do a European Delivery, it was an amazing experience, Picked up the car in Munich,did the factory tour, drove to San Moritz Switzerland then drove to Florence through Tosacan, then spent a week in Rome (Where I grew up) and drove my way back through Rimini, Venice, Cortina, Innsbruck, and back to Munich, 12 days total.

bimmer7
12-12-2005, 12:49 AM
When I did my European Delivery in the end of may (hence my nick ends with ED=European Delivery) I was not a member of this forum, so I did not post anything.

I would strongly advise people to do a European Delivery, it was an amazing experience, Picked up the car in Munich,did the factory tour, drove to San Moritz Switzerland then drove to Florence through Tosacan, then spent a week in Rome (Where I grew up) and drove my way back through Rimini, Venice, Cortina, Innsbruck, and back to Munich, 12 days total.

Wow that sounds like an experience......I visited Europe in 95' with my family....well I was a young boy then....but I still remember the sites we visited....I went to 5 countries.....
We started off from England.....and ferried through the strait of Dover to Calais in France... my first time gambling on the slot machines.....my sister cashed in a few pounds where as I jus kept losing....... :rolleyes: ...anyways we then entered France took the coach to tour the rest of the countries.......Belgium - Brussels, then onto Luxermbourg...then to Switzerland Lucerne, Lugano and then we went up to Mt. Titlis...
Then drove down to Italy.....Venice- took the ride in the gondolas my god was that beautiful going thru the city in the canals...with the italian traditional music being played....ohhh i think im gonna have my honeymoon in Venice :D ....
then we went to florence and then rome...***** a lot of history in rome...and seeing it was re-built after major earthquakes....and the history was still preserved by the romans ....... also visited the Vatican city and the Sistine Chapel....which is longgggg.....but very beautiful......this was about 10 days total. . .

omak
12-12-2005, 06:56 AM

Wow, sounds interesting... so this package trip was included when you bought your 750? Can someone not buying a 750 still do this drive?

2006_750Li_ED
12-12-2005, 07:09 AM
European Delivery is available for any car sold in the U.S

All they give you is a 7% dicount on the car, so that you can spend it on the trip. Obviously the cost of the 7 series is the highest, so you get more $ (7% from $85,000)
I think that there are other European Delivery programs available to other countries because I saw people from Europe doing a Delivery (England and another slavic country )when I was picking up my car.
They pay for the German plates of the car and for insurance for 2 weeks.
Oh yes, they also give you a vaucher to eat in their lousy Cafeteria for free.... and they send you a desk clock people call Gumby because it sits on a blue rubber leg that bends.
the biggest problem with the European Delivery program is that you continue to make payments while the car is in the boat transiting for 7 weeks, so the discount is not that great if you consider the transportation cost.

gs400
12-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Do you know if they are all new? Wonder what BMW's angle is? Everyone ride in the 7-series, then they sell them at invoice to dump them?

yep they are all brand new,

BMW is only sponsoring 750s and 740s to the HK govt for the WTO event.

they are not charging the govt a cent for it .

they are then selling the 750 for 180k cheaper and 740 for 168k cheaper than invoice (which is 1.38 million and 1.22 million respectively)

jkb
12-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Now I may have missed it when you got delivery of your 750 '06. . .can you share the European Delivery experience with us or perhaps if you already have post the link to it :)

here is mine: http://camel.ethereal.net/~jkb/ed

2006_750Li_ED
12-27-2005, 09:19 AM
here is mine: http://camel.ethereal.net/~jkb/ed
Yan_745, I looked at your album and it looks like you had an amazing trip, you certainly did what European Delivery is suppose to be about. I hope that you washed your car from all the bugs ...... have you thought about leaving the bugs on as a sourvenier?
I had my European delivery about a month before you.
Where do you live? please P.M me I think that we come from the same country.