PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Phones

Kball1
12-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I have a new 2006 330i on order and I am in the market for a new bluetooth cell phone that will work with the car. I am currently an Alltel customer. When I check the BMW website they do not list any phones from Alltel as being compatible with the system. Has anyone been able to get an Alltel phone to work? Is the phone the important part of the equation or is it the carrier? Alltel has the Motorola V710 which is supposedly a phone that works from Verizon. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

SRFast
12-11-2005, 04:15 PM
The BT phone is the important part of the BMW BT equation, unless the carrier disables some of the phone's BT functions. Motorola BT phones are compatible with the BMW BT system EXCEPT not all Verizon branded phones work. Verizon "cripples" some of the BT functionalaity and forces you to use their properiarty software. If your carrier has the Moto V710 and has not modified it, it should work fine. All Moto BT phones sold by Cingular and T-Mobile work with the BMW BT system.

Hope this helps....JL

Kball1
12-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks.

So if I get the Motorola RAZR from Alltel then it should work with the BMW bluetooth system - right?

SRFast
12-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks.

So if I get the Motorola RAZR from Alltel then it should work with the BMW bluetooth system - right?

I would say yes, but I don't know Alltel's practices regarding BT hacking. I would post the question: "Does Alltel hack/cripple BT services on Moto phones?" on this forum: http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174

If the answer is no, you should have no problems.

Hope this helps...JL

Ron34238
12-23-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm an Alltel subscriber, and have no intentions of switching. It looks like the two best BT compatible phones they have are the Moto Razr and the V710. I'll be looking at both of them for compatiblility with the BMW BT system.

My wife drives a 2006 325 and I'm picking up my 2006 530 on Monday. So I'll want a phone that I can use when driving either card.

Any Alltel customers with comments?

2006330i
12-23-2005, 10:30 AM
I think the "crippling" to which people are referring, which essentially consists of disabling OBEX, has zero to do with BT problems with BMW. Apparently, the problem is with BMW's TCU which goes to sleep but does not wake up like it is supposed to. BMW has a TSB out and is working on the problem, but has yet to come up with a solution.

I just paired my Verizon RAZR with my car yesterday (I believe Alltel is CDMA also), and so far I've had zero problems, although many report their phones working flawlessly for the first two weeks and then having difficulties.

Kball1
01-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Ron,

Did you get your AllTel phone to work with the new 2006 530? I have a new car coming in about a month and I am trying to decide what phone to get.

Thanks

Ron34238
01-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Ron,

Did you get your AllTel phone to work with the new 2006 530? I have a new car coming in about a month and I am trying to decide what phone to get.

Thanks

No problems whatsoever. I first got the Razr and it paired fine and worked great. However, previously using a Motorola V60, the Razr just didn't feel right, as it's thin and wide. So I exchanged it for a Motorola V710, which is similar in size the the V60, and it too works great with the new 2006 530.

I would say that from a Bluetooth perspective, they both work equally as well, so picking a phone would be a matter of personal choice. Oh, and my wife has a 2006 325, and I was able to get both phones to pair with her car as well. On my 530, even the voice commands to the phone work exceptionally well.

Assuming you are also Alltel, let me know what phone you decide to get.

Kball1
01-05-2006, 05:59 PM
No problems whatsoever. I first got the Razr and it paired fine and worked great. However, previously using a Motorola V60, the Razr just didn't feel right, as it's thin and wide. So I exchanged it for a Motorola V710, which is similar in size the the V60, and it too works great with the new 2006 530.

I would say that from a Bluetooth perspective, they both work equally as well, so picking a phone would be a matter of personal choice. Oh, and my wife has a 2006 325, and I was able to get both phones to pair with her car as well. On my 530, even the voice commands to the phone work exceptionally well.

Assuming you are also Alltel, let me know what phone you decide to get.

Thanks for the response. I will probably go with the RAZR, but I will more than likely wait until my car arrrives (mid-February) before I get the phone. Yes - I am with Alltel.

Kball1
03-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Update. I have finally taken delivery of my new 2006 330i and have succesfully synced it with a new Motorola RAZR (AllTel) phone. The only thing that is not working is the ability to use the voice activation. The RAZR will accept voice commands and this works outside of the car, but it does not work in the vehicle. My phonebook from the RAZR is available in the car. I have read in the BMW manuals that you can manually program in certain numbers that can be activated via voice, but I was hoping it would work with the numbers already programmed in my phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

ObD
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Any suggestions?

Quit trying, you have to set up voice activation in the BMW seperately from the phone.

SRFast
03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Update. I have finally taken delivery of my new 2006 330i and have succesfully synced it with a new Motorola RAZR (AllTel) phone. The only thing that is not working is the ability to use the voice activation. The RAZR will accept voice commands and this works outside of the car, but it does not work in the vehicle. My phonebook from the RAZR is available in the car. I have read in the BMW manuals that you can manually program in certain numbers that can be activated via voice, but I was hoping it would work with the numbers already programmed in my phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

This might help: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134112

Good luck...JL