PDA

View Full Version : Purchased "older" version of Bluetooth module for retrofit - problems??

Bronx Cheer
12-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Before I knew that there were multiple generations of Bluetooth Modules made (each having different part numbers) I went ahead and bought the first generation module from Pacific BMW over the web for my 2003 E46 330i. From what I've gathered, there are various newer versions than the one I have, with the following part numbers.

Bluetooth Module:
84 21 6 934 552 end of life 06/03 1st generation
84 21 6 938 610 end of life 10/03 2nd generation
84 21 6 934 961 end of life 03/04 3rd generation
84 21 6 950 089 end of life 06/04 4th generation
84 21 6 945 387 end of life 11/04 5th generation
84 21 6 955 522 end of life 04/05 6th generation
84 10 6 969 268 7th generation

Do I try to return/sell the #552 module that I bought and seek out a newer version?

Is the version I have upgradeable (software flash)? If so, how?

What is the benefits of the newer generation models? For example, will the #552 module work for most purposes? Does a new feature (such as voice recognition) get introduced only after a certain generation?

Is there any resource to find this information (BMW tech bulletins and such)?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

-BC in DC

Goaltender66
12-14-2005, 05:03 PM
What phone are you using? My understanding is that the newer units exist to either add new phone functionality or to correct issues with phone firmware upgrades. I have the 522 version with my Moto e815 and it works perfectly. In my case, it was not worth the hassle trying to find the new control module just so I can say I have the latest...the 1st gen works perfectly.

Also, the 1st Gen has the voice dialing/recognition so you're fine there.

My advice is to try out the 522 module with your phone before you start worrying about what generation control module you're using. If you're using a phone from the approved list, you should be OK.

Technic
12-14-2005, 10:53 PM
What phone are you using? My understanding is that the newer units exist to either add new phone functionality or to correct issues with phone firmware upgrades. I have the 522 version with my Moto e815 and it works perfectly. In my case, it was not worth the hassle trying to find the new control module just so I can say I have the latest...the 1st gen works perfectly.

Also, the 1st Gen has the voice dialing/recognition so you're fine there.

My advice is to try out the 522 module with your phone before you start worrying about what generation control module you're using. If you're using a phone from the approved list, you should be OK.

He's talking about the -552, not the -522... :confused:

My answer is at E46Fanatics.com

Goaltender66
12-15-2005, 07:40 AM
He's talking about the -552, not the -522... :confused:

My answer is at E46Fanatics.com
Sorry for the typo. I of course meant the 552 from the context of my response. Hit "2" too many times!

Also, why not post a reponse here too? Not everyone cross-checks the boards.

Bronx Cheer
12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I appreciate the responses.

Unfortunately, I do not have a BT phone yet as I am waiting for my contract to run out.

I am thinking about the T-Mobile Razr, Blackberry or new Moto PEBL (I understand it has the "guts" of the Razr). Verizon is ticking me off (among other things, not having any, let alone any good, BT phones for the longest time) and I don't feel like re-upping for 2 years. Cingular sucks in my area, so that really isn't an option. Of course, I really don't want a non-working combination as

Considering that I am leaning toward newer and non-approved (officially) phones, should I sell off the old module? I hear it is nearly impossible to get the newer ones, so what should I do?

I expect that Pacific BMW isn't going to accept a return on the ULF (I bought it without knowledge of the software generation issues).

Is it possible to upgrade/reflash the memory on the ULF? If so, how?

Technic
12-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Sorry for the typo. I of course meant the 552 from the context of my response. Hit "2" too many times!

Also, why not post a reponse here too? Not everyone cross-checks the boards.

My response was for him to return the -552 and try to get a much recent ULF version. The issue that I see in the -552 -although it seems that you do not have any -552 issues- is the possible BT conflicts with the latest phones due to this ULF being an almost 3 years old version. For example, in my job I've been in contact with prototype Bluetooth phones that are not fully compatible with the -552 ULF module because of software and feature changes. One of these feature changes is the expected size of the phonebook by the ULF, some early BT phones have a phonebook maximum size of just 500 entries, now they are more than 1000. If the ULF expects a max of 500 entries and it's being fed 1000, some unexpected conflicts could show up in its functionality.

That's one the reasons of so many ULF firmware updates, to keep up with advances and the reason I would advice to replace the -552 for an updated version if there is a chance to do so. :thumbup:

Technic
12-15-2005, 11:08 AM
I appreciate the responses.

Unfortunately, I do not have a BT phone yet as I am waiting for my contract to run out.

I am thinking about the T-Mobile Razr, Blackberry or new Moto PEBL (I understand it has the "guts" of the Razr). Verizon is ticking me off (among other things, not having any, let alone any good, BT phones for the longest time) and I don't feel like re-upping for 2 years. Cingular sucks in my area, so that really isn't an option. Of course, I really don't want a non-working combination as

Considering that I am leaning toward newer and non-approved (officially) phones, should I sell off the old module? I hear it is nearly impossible to get the newer ones, so what should I do?

I expect that Pacific BMW isn't going to accept a return on the ULF (I bought it without knowledge of the software generation issues).

Is it possible to upgrade/reflash the memory on the ULF? If so, how?

It is not possible to update the ULF firmware...

In the worst case that Pacific does not accept a return, try Goaltender66 suggestion of trying the -552 with your chosen BT phone and see what happens. My additional suggestion is to try to get as many experimental phones as you can for this test, like friend's BT phones that you like; you should know at least one person with a RAZR or a Blackberry so test that phone in your car instead of buying one phone and then finding out that the sucker does not work like you want. :thumbup: