PDA

View Full Version : BT and MS Smartphone

BigBoris
12-15-2005, 09:58 PM
I got the Audiovox 5600 Smartphone recently and it's been bugging me that the address book didn't work well with the BMW BT kit. So I finally got fed up and did something about this.

I have an 80% solution that isn't pretty or straightforward but does work reasonably well. If anyone else here has run into the same issue let me know. I can help.

Boris.

bscarlett
12-16-2005, 07:16 AM
You will find the same problem with all Microsoft bluetooth devices. The bluetooth stack used is their own and not the widcomm stack that the rest of the industry uses. this interferes with the OBEX push that transfer your phonebook.

BigBoris
12-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Actually, I haven't had problems with the actual transfer, but what was being transferred. Specifically, the problem was that the ULF in the car didn't seem to respond well to punctuation in the phone numbers and also that, because of the size of the display in the car, my normal Lastname, Firstname scheme didn't work well.

I have figured out the format for sending multiple contacts at once (multiple vCards in one file) and have a method for putting together such a file. I then transfer the file to the phone and beam it to the car via the File Manager app. It's a little bit of a pain but since I don't update the contacts I expect to see via the car that often it'll work for me.

I will make it work directly from the phone (soon) but figured that this would work for most people for most situations.

davistroy
12-17-2005, 02:11 AM
I have an SMT5600 and I am picking up my new X3 in a few weeks - I'd LOVE to know how well the phone works in the BMW and how you xferred the phone numbers.

des16
01-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Has anyone figured out how to transfer the address/phone book yet?

bscarlett
01-12-2006, 07:29 AM
You may want to look at this site http://www.widcom.com/Products/bluetooth_comm_software_btce.asp It appears that it's software overcome the MS bluetooth stack and provides you with a widcomm stack.

dive2xs
06-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I have figured out the format for sending multiple contacts at once (multiple vCards in one file) and have a method for putting together such a file. I then transfer the file to the phone and beam it to the car via the File Manager app. It's a little bit of a pain but since I don't update the contacts I expect to see via the car that often it'll work for me.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but how did you do this??? I need to send 180 contacts via IR from a smartphone to my radio.

bimmernav
06-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I hear the new Windows Mobile 6 software is a VAST improvement for bluetooth

KrisL
07-01-2007, 05:02 PM

BigBoris,

Can you expand on this please? I have a WM5 Treo 750. I was able to export all of my outlook contacts into a single vcf with an app called 'OutPod'.

I'm using Resco File Explorer and when I try to send the file via BT, it just keeps 'searching...'.

Thanks!