PDA

View Full Version : question about aftermarket stereo install

r6er00
12-16-2005, 02:39 PM
hey everyone! new to the forum, although i have owned a BMW in the past(owned an '03 325, and now have an '06 325).

my question is this: i have the professional stereo(not the HK), and i have heard varying opinions. some say an aftermarket head unit can be installed, and some say it can't be. does anyone know? i know there is a problem doing an install with the Logic 7, but i thought that was only in the HK system.

thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can give!!!

whiskey.org
12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
there's a decent amount of stuff the radio does other than just play music

call id, obc, assist.

don't know why you'd remove it

govtec
12-16-2005, 03:19 PM
it has everything u need, y would anyone want to remove it?

ase2dais
12-16-2005, 03:49 PM
if it aint broke! dont fix it!

vortex72
12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm not a car stereo expert, but I'll chime in. First off, why do you want to replace the stock head unit? Its very high quality and has all the added features for the car. Second, I've heard there are tons of fiberoptics connected to the dash so this might be a consideration since you wouldnt want a shop to destroy your car and warranty. Third, what exactly are you not happy with on the stock system? The stock system has excellent sound quality, clarity, and goes quite loud. If its not good enough for you, I'd suggest just replacing the speakers and adding an inline amp or something. Not sure how hard installing the amp would be but it would be better than destroying your dash

icemanjs4
12-16-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm with Vortex. I would leave the head unit alone. An amp or two, with some new high-quality wiring, a good 10" sub and some highend speakers should suffice if you're REALLY anal about sound quality.

antartican1
12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Want a stereo that has that 1000 watt subwoofer. Get a Honda. Or atleast get a car that's worth less than the stereo. Stereo shops will not only destroy the fiber optics behind the dash they will severely scratch everything else.

supadan
12-17-2005, 12:59 PM
hey everyone! new to the forum, although i have owned a BMW in the past(owned an '03 325, and now have an '06 325).

my question is this: i have the professional stereo(not the HK), and i have heard varying opinions. some say an aftermarket head unit can be installed, and some say it can't be. does anyone know? i know there is a problem doing an install with the Logic 7, but i thought that was only in the HK system.

thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can give!!!

I've never run into a car that didn't allow a swap in headunits, and this one should be no different. Although I prefer the integrated look of the stock headunit, it still cannot match the quality of a good aftermarket unit. What problem was there with the HK? I never had any trouble swapping my E46 headunit. If you really want cleaner sound I say go for it! :thumbup:

tgravo2
12-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I had the h/k system in my E46. I really was not satisfied in the way it sounded. While I wasn't looking for a booming system, I just wanted something with more definition and clarity. I found my h/k system to be very dull sounding. I changed the head unit, added an amp and also got the JL stealthboxes with 2 8" subwoofers to replace the h/k subs in the rear deck.

The big disadvantage which I did not realize until after the fact was that to put the new subs in, they also had to take out the rear deck speakers along with the subs. So they took out 4 speakers to add 2.

From the driver or passenger seat the system did sound really good, not overpowering, but from the rear seats the system sounded horrible. All you could hear was the subs because the only rear speakers were those subs and the tweeters in the rear doors.

If I did it all over again, I'd keep the stock system. The loss of steering wheel controls, and on the e90, the loss of bluetooth and ipod use would be enough to make me not change anything. Also my car didn't have MP3 capability which the e90 does.

Lastly I think an aftermarket system in the E90 would greatly take away from the clean look of the dash.

Just see if the positives outweigh the negatives. To me it's a no brainer to keep the stock Logic 7.

supadan
12-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I had the h/k system in my E46. I really was not satisfied in the way it sounded. While I wasn't looking for a booming system, I just wanted something with more definition and clarity. I found my h/k system to be very dull sounding. I changed the head unit, added an amp and also got the JL stealthboxes with 2 8" subwoofers to replace the h/k subs in the rear deck.

The big disadvantage which I did not realize until after the fact was that to put the new subs in, they also had to take out the rear deck speakers along with the subs. So they took out 4 speakers to add 2.

From the driver or passenger seat the system did sound really good, not overpowering, but from the rear seats the system sounded horrible. All you could hear was the subs because the only rear speakers were those subs and the tweeters in the rear doors.

If I did it all over again, I'd keep the stock system. The loss of steering wheel controls, and on the e90, the loss of bluetooth and ipod use would be enough to make me not change anything. Also my car didn't have MP3 capability which the e90 does.

Lastly I think an aftermarket system in the E90 would greatly take away from the clean look of the dash.

Just see if the positives outweigh the negatives. To me it's a no brainer to keep the stock Logic 7.

There was no reason for them to take out the whole deck. All that was necessary was to cut out two holes in the metal and parcel shelf, place a grill on top of the shelf, and then stop the metal and parcel shelf from hitting each other. That way you could keep your rear speakers.

supadan
12-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Well even though I said changing the unit would sound better, it's not that significant and would take away other things. Although it might cost more, I would recommend getting some new mids and highs w/ a good amp instead of a new headunit. Dynaudio speakers and a Zapco amp would be nice! :thumbup:

visor
12-18-2005, 11:26 PM
There was no reason for them to take out the whole deck. All that was necessary was to cut out two holes in the metal and parcel shelf, place a grill on top of the shelf, and then stop the metal and parcel shelf from hitting each other. That way you could keep your rear speakers.
The metal in the parcel shelf being a supporting structure (to prevent torsion and twisting of the rear), I don't think any car audio installer will want to cut into it. Unless you give the ok, in which case you may run the risk of compromising your car body's strength just for a little more boom.

el_duderino
12-19-2005, 08:00 AM
You can change the HU, but it's expensive and requies a custom shop with a lot of fab ability.

You can get a very good sound quality upgrade with the OEM BMW HU and new amps and speakers. We do it all the time.

r6er00
12-19-2005, 10:41 AM
it seems to me like it would be more of a pain to rip apart the door panels and the rear deck to replace speakers and add amps than to just replace a HU.

also, i already have an Apline unit from my old car, so there is no loss in expense there either. it's not like i am going out and purchasing a new one. i also have a 6 disc changer, JL audio amp, and JL audio speakers. just looking to transfer over to new car.

as far as installs, i don't go to chop shops. i'm taking it to the place that did my '03 bmw's install. it will look perfect.

and as far as i have seen, all the "perks" that can be done on the factory radio can be done on the display between the tach and speedo. if there's anything more than that, i'll probably never use it.

so i guess back to my original question: has anyone done one?

el_duderino
12-19-2005, 01:18 PM
it seems to me like it would be more of a pain to rip apart the door panels and the rear deck to replace speakers and add amps than to just replace a HU.

Doesn't matter. Changing the amp and speakers is REQUIRED for a sonic upgrade. Upgrading the HU does NOT improve your sound - it might get you more features, but the neck in your sound-system bottle is the amp-=and-speaker performance.

And if your dash requires a custom-made trimplate or a heater vent rework, then it takes a lot of custom work.

also, i already have an Apline unit from my old car, so there is no loss in expense there either. it's not like i am going out and purchasing a new one. i also have a 6 disc changer, JL audio amp, and JL audio speakers. just looking to transfer over to new car.

as far as installs, i don't go to chop shops. i'm taking it to the place that did my '03 bmw's install. it will look perfect.

and as far as i have seen, all the "perks" that can be done on the factory radio can be done on the display between the tach and speedo. if there's anything more than that, i'll probably never use it.

so i guess back to my original question: has anyone done one?

Nope, and I probably never will.

And hopefully that info doesn't STOP appearing with the HU pulled.

wheeler
12-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I've never run into a car that didn't allow a swap in headunits, and this one should be no different. Although I prefer the integrated look of the stock headunit, it still cannot match the quality of a good aftermarket unit. What problem was there with the HK? I never had any trouble swapping my E46 headunit. If you really want cleaner sound I say go for it! :thumbup:

I went to a really good stereo guy. He actually told me not to mess with the car due to fiber optic cables even though its his business to sell me stuff.

Scared me into staying stock.

el_duderino
12-20-2005, 01:10 PM
He wasn't really good if he told you that about your '03 3-series. You have no fiber optic cables, and we upgrade those all the time.

Stalkingbutler
09-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I can see this is an old thread. And I have the same question...
Can you replace the factory HU?
Mine is ridiculous!
I'm in Texas and with any heat over 65 deg...
Which means 340 days a year, the display is unreadable!
It sucks, and I don't have the "module" for bluetooth.
I just want to replace the HU with a new (Alpine CDE148BT) for now, and later upgrade the speakers and add new amps, sub, etc.
Not looking for a loud stereo, just a nice NEW high quality one like I have in all of my other vehicles.
I've searched all over this site and am now just more confused.

Stalkingbutler
09-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Bump...

Spaz337
09-14-2013, 06:39 PM
It's very simple if you know what your doing. I just did mine and it sounds great. Still uses the factory amp and I didn't alter the car in any way. If I want I can go back to stock in minutes with no sign of the installation.

Spaz337
09-14-2013, 06:46 PM
You will lose your steering wheel controls unless you buy an interface but I see know sense in spending that money when aftermarket comes with a remote. I actually prefer the remote. I got my pioneer for $99on sonicelectronix plus $7 for the antenna adapter and you get the harness and dash kit free. The aftermarket has better tunability, accepts usb, has auxiliary, changes colors, and has speaker and sub preamp outputs