PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy my friends 95 M3 for $8k?

Maximus
12-18-2005, 12:31 AM
He has offered a 1995 M3 for 8k to me. It has 93k miles and has never been in an accident and runs great. Should I pull the trigger?

alpinewhite325i
12-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Personally, even though it's an M, I wouldn't go from an '01 to a '95.

rrsperry
12-18-2005, 05:15 AM
How the heck should I know? And why are you asking us? I can't see the price getting any lower, so ask yourself if you think it's a good deal. If yes, buy it and have fun. You don't need me to validate your purchase.

ffej
12-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Are you going to keep your 330 and just keep this one around for fun?
Do you have the $8k just sitting around doing nothing?
Do you have some sinister plans in mind for it?
Are you prepared to work on it regularly to keep it in tip-top shape?

If you can answer yes to any two of those questions then BUY IT. why not?

Maximus
12-18-2005, 04:32 PM
rrsperry,
Why dont you leave me the **** alone. I dont need you to "validate" my purchase. Is this not a message board? Can I not ask a simple question? If you can't answer it, then get the **** out. I hate two bit flamers.

To the rest of you, thanks so much. I sold the 330I last month and bought a Lexus IS350. I would use the M as my 2nd car and would drive it to work and back.

Jon Shafer
12-18-2005, 04:35 PM
rrsperry,
Why dont you leave me the **** alone. I hate two bit flamers. To the rest of you, thanks so much. I sold the 330I last month and bought a Lexus IS350. I would use the M as my 2nd car and would drive it to work and back.
Buy it for the hell of it.

How can you go wrong??

The Ultimate beater!!!!

:thumbup:

(You just might prefer driving it over anything else. My E36 M3 is much more
fun to drive than my E46 coupe was, or my wife's E39)

Maximus
12-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Hehe, the ultimate beater, I like that!

SoloII///M
12-20-2005, 04:33 AM
rrsperry,
Why dont you leave me the **** alone. I dont need you to "validate" my purchase. Is this not a message board? Can I not ask a simple question? If you can't answer it, then get the **** out. I hate two bit flamers.

To the rest of you, thanks so much. I sold the 330I last month and bought a Lexus IS350. I would use the M as my 2nd car and would drive it to work and back.

:tsk:

You didn't give any information about the condition of the car, what kind of maintenance has been done, nothing. How are we supposed to help you? It's like coming in and asking, "Should I break up with my girlfriend? Things have been kinda rough lately." :rofl:

Lanc3r
12-20-2005, 04:42 AM
:tsk:

You didn't give any information about the condition of the car, what kind of maintenance has been done, nothing. How are we supposed to help you? It's like coming in and asking, "Should I break up with my girlfriend? Things have been kinda rough lately." :rofl:

:rofl: :stupid:

$8000 for an M3, I guess you'll find out how good of a friend you have.

SWISS
12-20-2005, 04:53 AM
:rofl: :stupid:

$8000 for an M3, I guess you'll find out how good of a friend you have.If you vote against it, PM me I'm game.

Maximus
12-20-2005, 07:45 AM
The car has never been in an accident or has never had any mechanical failures. All service has been done according to BMW specs.

dima123
12-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Yes, you should if not contact me I Will

Lanc3r
12-20-2005, 07:51 AM
The car has never been in an accident or has never had any mechanical failures. All service has been done according to BMW specs.

We are mostly a bunch of guys, and as you know visually oriented. You can talk about how nice it is all day long but it is all useless without pics. :D

rrsperry
12-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry, after reading the below post,

He has offered a 1995 M3 for 8k to me. It has 93k miles and has never been in an accident and runs great. Should I pull the trigger?

I guess I'm just a bit confused. Isn't what he's asking, is weither he should buy this M3 for $8K or not?

I mean, I could be a guy that thinks $8K is chump change for a race car shell, or that I wouldn't buy a brand new M3 for $8K. You get the picture?

If it were me? I would buy it for a parts car, and then part it put on Ebay. Worth a lot more that way. But, that's just me.

SWISS
12-20-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry, after reading the below post,

I guess I'm just a bit confused. Isn't what he's asking, is weither he should buy this M3 for $8K or not?

I mean, I could be a guy that thinks $8K is chump change for a race car shell, or that I wouldn't buy a brand new M3 for $8K. You get the picture?

If it were me? I would buy it for a parts car, and then part it put on Ebay. Worth a lot more that way. But, that's just me. SSSHHH!!!! Your gonna ruin a good thing!!:slap:

Credulus
12-20-2005, 08:24 PM
PICS! :banghead:
please

SoloII///M
12-21-2005, 06:38 AM

So has it had its fluids changed regularly? Coolant, brake fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid, oil / filter?
Does the A/C work?
Have the rear trailing arm bushings been done or are they ready to tear out of the body?
How are the rear shock mounts? How about the towers? Are they cracking?
Is the VANOS noisy?
Will the car pass an emissions test?
Has the rad been replaced? Water pump? Thermo?
Does it need an alignment?
Does it need shocks?
How's the steering gear? Ball joints and tie rod ends all sealed up and tight?
Does it need tires?

For $8k this stuff might not matter to you. It would sure matter to me if it needed $6,000 in work just to make it reasonably reliable. I'd rather spend $15k up front and get a nice example. :dunno:

Maximus
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Great post Solo. I will find out more info. I know for a fact that nothing has ever been replaced on the car and it still runs like a champ. Now, this is not to say that something wont be breaking later. It just passed smog a few months ago with flying colors. A/C is perfectly cold. Tires are new as he bought the M68 wheels that were stock on the 01 330I sport package.

Pinecone
12-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Check the sticky on the top of this forum.

But if the car is straight, runs OK, then $8K is a darn good deal. If you don't want it, let me know, I will take it to build into a track car.

SoloII///M
01-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Great post Solo. I will find out more info. I know for a fact that nothing has ever been replaced on the car and it still runs like a champ. Now, this is not to say that something wont be breaking later. It just passed smog a few months ago with flying colors. A/C is perfectly cold. Tires are new as he bought the M68 wheels that were stock on the 01 330I sport package.

If nothing has ever been replaced, it's going to need a radiator at $200, a water pump and thermostat at $150, shocks at $600, tie rod ends, RTABs, rear shock mounts, front control arms, etc... Sounds like a good car to make into a track rat since the "rat" part has already been taken care of. :D

DarkSide
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah seriously, i'll sell my car for this

wongmoxy
01-06-2006, 09:52 AM
BMW M3 beater car??? Just buy a Honda for 2,000 and keep the rest. You must be joking. Are you rich having 8gs for a beater or what. Even if you had money I never heard of a rich guy trying to buy a beater. Im not flaming Im just stating the obvious.

BmW745On19's
01-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Friends dont let friends buy their crap. It's kinda stupid cause what if something breaks on the car or item that your friend bought from you and you feel alienated cause they figure you should have told them if anything was wrong with your car.

A bit confusing maybe but just read it a few times. :)