PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth just doesn't work does it?

Chalky White
12-18-2005, 08:34 PM
so i got my e90 yesterday (love it), got everything set the way i want (drive off locking, DRLs, etc), and the dealer paired my motorola v505 with the bluetooth in the car. since then, i've only gotten it to work a few times--maybe 2 in 10 starts of the car. from reading the other forums, it seems as if i'm not alone in this problem.

i don't think it's my phone, since it works well with the two other bluetooth devices i own (my computer and my headset). basically i'm just wondering if i have to wait for a software update, or if anyone has some tips as to how they got their phone to work with the bluetooth in the car.

thanks in advance.

RLC
12-18-2005, 08:40 PM
I've had my car a week and have zero problems with my Razr in the car. I do not have the Nav/IDrive model, just the Logic7 in the 330i. Works great for me.

Which car do you have and what happens with your phone exactly?

Chalky White
12-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I have a 325i, premium, no idrive/nav or Logic 7. What happens is pretty much nothing! Sometimes it will automatically pair up and work great, other times it will act as if there is no phone in the car. This is even after I've fiddled with the phone (turning bluetooth on and off, telling it to search for headsets, telling it to search for prior devices, etc.) and told the car to search for paired devices.

I know the phone knows about the car, or knew about it at one point, because on my list of prior devices is BMW04857, and I punched in the access code that I set on the car into my phone. It's pretty frustrating for two reasons: 1. I paid a lot of money for the premium package, 2. The few times it has worked, I've really liked it and would like to use it every time I get in the car!

fundrive
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
i have the motorola razr phone and it has worked every time after the initial pairing - perhaps try a different phone?

eloso5
12-18-2005, 09:36 PM
I have used both the Motorola V600 and Razr with no problems. Always pairs as soon as I start the car.

garf12
12-18-2005, 10:48 PM
question, should the car be asking for the password or should the phone ask for the password.

I can only get the phone to ask but the dealer said that the the car asks for the password. Ive tried 0000, 1234, etc... with no luck on the phone. The phone sees the car but the car never shows any sign of seeing the phone. Brand new 750i with iDrive and tried multiple phones.

I cant get BMW assist to connect either, this sucks, the dealership is 100 miles away so it makes it hard to just pop in. :mad:

fundrive
12-19-2005, 12:21 AM
i believe the dealer must initialize the bmw assist - for me this happened at initial delivery - did this happen for you?

hunt55
12-19-2005, 04:42 AM
The BT issue appears to be model and phone specific. I have the E815 and a new 2006 325i. I have taken the car to the dealer twice. Phone pairs and works great at times. Ex. worked great for first two weeks no issue at all. Then spotty pairing. Frist time in the shop after reprogramming the car all day and replacing the TCU unit, worked great for two weeks, then spotty. Appears the BT module goes in sleep mode and does not wake up at times. BMW now has a bulletin out on this issue and is working on a fix. This is as of two weeks ago.

Dealer needs to activate the BMW assist. But, I found anytime the dealer reprograms or updates software, you need to check the assist to make sure it still works.

See a number of threads on E90post.com

hbarradah
12-19-2005, 06:49 AM
I have i-drive and RAZR works great, I tried the i-mate JAM and it pairs initially but then drops the connection after about a min. The passord is just a token between the 2 parties to confirm that they are both aware of the communication and no one else can tap in. So, you make up the password on one side and enter it on the other.

330soon2b
12-19-2005, 10:48 AM
question, should the car be asking for the password or should the phone ask for the password.

I can only get the phone to ask but the dealer said that the the car asks for the password. Ive tried 0000, 1234, etc... with no luck on the phone. The phone sees the car but the car never shows any sign of seeing the phone. Brand new 750i with iDrive and tried multiple phones.

I cant get BMW assist to connect either, this sucks, the dealership is 100 miles away so it makes it hard to just pop in. :mad:

I believe you need to change a setting on your phone for it to work properly. For example, I have a blackberry 7100t that works flawlessly with my car. However, it didn't initially. the phone would not automatically link with the car. the phone would detect a request from the car to link-up, but the phone would not link unless i approved the request. I would always forget to check the phone for the request and so it wouldn't link-up. Then i went into the settings for bluetooth and paired devices (this menu is on my phone) and I changed two things. I disabled encryption that way the phone would send the incoming phone number to the car's radio. with encryption enabled, the car can't receive the information. I also made the device "trusted" under device settings. By changing the setting to trusted, the phone automatically syncs to the car. it no longer asks for me to approve the linking. I recommend you see if you can make similar setting changes to your phone. good luck.

ball
12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I have this same problem, connects less than half of the time. I've tried 4 different phones and all work the same.

But I did find a work around. Leave BT active on the phone. Get in the car and plug key fob into the dash. If it's going to connect it will right away. If it doesn't remove the key from the dash and wait 2 minutes. Yes 2 minutes. Plug the key back in and it connects. Everytime.

Sounds odd but it works, at least for me. I don't know how this would help anyone with comfort access though. Plus it's not fun waiting in a cold car for 2 minutes before stating it.

Penforhire
12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Verizon's Moto Razr (V3c) works well.

MarcusSDCA
12-19-2005, 05:09 PM
New Motorola V551 works perfectly 100% of the time. I keep the phone in my front pocket. It will be interesting to see how these problems get fixed and what the problem is. After living with BT for almost 5 months I can say it's a great feature...really critical if you are on the phone a lot. (esp. w/the manny tranny)

garf12
12-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Contacted BMW people today through the SOS button and they got it figured out for me. The dealer told me the code would be 0000 but it seems on the new 7's they give you a card with the manual that has the code. Someone needs to tell the dealer this!

hunt55
12-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Ball,

Thank you for the BT work around. I have comfort access, but will try allowing the car to sit for 2 minutes before restarting. Interesting on the 2 minutes. In the manual it states the BT will connect within 2 minutes. My experiences and what I have learned from BMW service is that it does not awaken from the sleep mode.

Also, BMW USA sent me this information. The fix improved the pairing, but it did not fix the issue.

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. We appreciate your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we are unable to determine what the specific issues may be with your phone and Bluetooth system in your vehicle. You may try the following "unofficial" solution for other E815 customers who have described similar issues.

On your E815:
Press Menu
Go to "Settings"
Select "Initial Setup"
Select "Master Preset"
Enter the Serial Code: 000000
Select: OK
Asks: Reset all Phone Settings?
Select: Yes
Phone will turn off for a few seconds and come on again acknowledging a reset.

The phone will not lose any settings or contacts. After these steps have been completed, try the pairing steps again. The phone and vehicle should recognize each other. If this does not work, then all we can suggest is that you take your vehicle to your local BMW center. They are in the best position to review your concerns in person and offer assistance."

Hunt55

Chalky White
12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Nervously, I tried the master reset and while it didn't erase my phonebook, I did have to go back through and redo all my settings. Not a big deal though. But, it didn't do anything to fix my bluetoof problems with my E90. Guess I'll just have to wait around for a software update to fix the problem.