PDA

View Full Version : 523i sport engine upgrade

ndwgolf
12-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Guys,
I am new to this forum so excuse me if I am asking for something that someone has already asked. My question is I have a 2002 BMW 523i sport here in Thailand, I paid $84.000.00 for it (I know expensive) but if you live here and want one that is how much they are, anyway I want to get some extra BHP out of it
I have been in touch with a garage in Bangkok that can install a custom header with a Garrette or the Harrmann turbo along with a chip and custom made M5 exhaust all for +/- $5000. My question is will I need to do anything to the automatic transmission to handle the extra power and if so can you recommend what I should do? I have upgraded the suspension already?
Thanks

Neil

bimmerd00d
12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Guys,
I am new to this forum so excuse me if I am asking for something that someone has already asked. My question is I have a 2002 BMW 523i sport here in Thailand, I paid $84.000.00 for it (I know expensive) but if you live here and want one that is how much they are, anyway I want to get some extra BHP out of it
I have been in touch with a garage in Bangkok that can install a custom header with a Garrette or the Harrmann turbo along with a chip and custom made M5 exhaust all for +/- $5000. My question is will I need to do anything to the automatic transmission to handle the extra power and if so can you recommend what I should do? I have upgraded the suspension already?
Thanks

Neil

Well, aside from the turbo setup, you will need to beef up the tranny to handle it, and then all the software that will make the turbo setup function will be needed too. That alone takes many many man hours, plus the hardware and software programming for it. Expect about $2k for that alone! You can't just bolt on a turbo to a BMW, the computer is programmed for the car as it comes, and doens't like such a drastic increase in air.

razzy530
12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Guys,
Thanks

Neil
84,000 Dollars??????? Holy ............

ndwgolf
12-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Well, aside from the turbo setup, you will need to beef up the tranny to handle it, and then all the software that will make the turbo setup function will be needed too. That alone takes many many man hours, plus the hardware and software programming for it. Expect about $2k for that alone! You can't just bolt on a turbo to a BMW, the computer is programmed for the car as it comes, and doens't like such a drastic increase in air.

So is this softwear/Hardwear ready available? is there an aftermarket Tranny upgrade out there? any advise would be much appreciated
Neil

ndwgolf
12-21-2005, 12:27 PM
84,000 Dollars??????? Holy ............

That was 3 years ago, a new one now is $102.495.00 but the women are cheap

fm_illuminatus
12-21-2005, 03:45 PM
A new 760il is apparently $444,658 in Thailand. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

dbwill
12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
You need to find out which Transmission it has and what the torque rating is for that transmission. Then you need to find out how much torque and HP the set up will develop and see if it is safe.

I don't know if BMW uses a different transmission for each varient of the 6 cyl, or for that matter what the torque difference is between a 530i Auto sport and a 540 Auto transmission.

bimmerd00d
12-21-2005, 07:48 PM
So is this softwear/Hardwear ready available? is there an aftermarket Tranny upgrade out there? any advise would be much appreciated
Neil

Not really, unless you purchase the whole deal as a kit (i.e. Dinan supercharger setup, or Active Autowerks) It's probably going to have to be custom made, and very expensive, and very un-reliable. Just sell it and buy a 540 or something faster if that;'s what you want. A bmw is not about speed, slap on a great set of suspension if you aren't happy with the factory sport setup, and find some backroads.

hawk2100n
12-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Just sell it and move to the states. The money that you paid for that 523 over there can almost buy an '06 E60 M5. Come on, 500 hp. :dunno:

ndwgolf
12-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys for all the info, I have a garage in Bangkok that is going to do the upgrade i will let you all know how it works out.
Thanks

Neil