PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Starmate Replay on 2003 M3 Convertible

jrhers
12-22-2005, 10:24 PM
I am planning on installing the Sirius Starmate in my M3 Convertible. I am going to have the dock permanently installed under the radio where the coin box is currently located. My research indicates that I can use the aux input on my radio to connect. Here are my questions:

1) Has anyone tried the permanent install with an aftermarket product?
2) I don't like the antenna the Starmate comes with. I would like to purchase the sharkfin. Has anyone tried this? Can someone please send me pictures of where the sharkfin is installed on the convertible?

Thanks for your help.

jvr826
12-22-2005, 10:51 PM
I am planning on installing the Sirius Starmate in my M3 Convertible. I am going to have the dock permanently installed under the radio where the coin box is currently located. My research indicates that I can use the aux input on my radio to connect. Here are my questions:

1) Has anyone tried the permanent install with an aftermarket product?
2) I don't like the antenna the Starmate comes with. I would like to purchase the sharkfin. Has anyone tried this? Can someone please send me pictures of where the sharkfin is installed on the convertible?

Thanks for your help.

I test drove a starmate replay for a while earlier this month, to decide if I'd like it before ordering the BMW unit. Nice little unit!

I did a temp install, used rolled up blue painters tape to affix it to my center console. But perm install should be easy. Just find switched power in the console. Not sure why you want to perm install a portable unit, but that's up to you. One thing I liked about the Starmate was I could take it in the house. I ended up getting the BMW unit from Circle BMW instead cuz I wanted the integration and better sound. I used the starmate on fm modulation mode and it was just OK in the sound quality dept.

I've never seen a sharkfin on an M3 Vert personally. I would think the supplied low profile antenna would be a preference. You can sneak it onto the trunk pretty much incognito. I have a coupe and mine is on the rear deck (inside) close to the window glass. Works fine here.

Why not the BMW unit? I just put mine in earlier this week and love it. It does cost a little more, but I think it was worth it for the integration and sound quality. But, you should be able to do what you want pretty easily I'd say. Good luck!

tom @ eas
12-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Agreed. You already have a compatible head unit, you would be doing yourself a huge favor by going OEM. BMW has built a great kit for Sirius.

jrhers
12-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm going to install the dock from the Starmate permanently, but not the unit itself. Has anyone else tried something similar with an IPOD, GPS etc? If so, please send pictures.

Lastly, anyone who has installed a satellite antenna on a e46 convertible, please post or send pictures.

Thanks!

tom @ eas
12-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm going to install the dock from the Starmate permanently, but not the unit itself. Has anyone else tried something similar with an IPOD, GPS etc? If so, please send pictures.

Lastly, anyone who has installed a satellite antenna on a e46 convertible, please post or send pictures.

Thanks!

The point I make is that OEM is much better than any aftermarket solution you find out there. Unless portability is an issue for you, I don't see any reason to go aftermarket when integrating Sirius with your BMW. BMW makes a great kit that already work with your existing radio and steering wheel controls, and is not much more than aftermarket.

As for the sharkfin antenna, this is located on the roof of the vehicle, Cab vehicles never seen them. On our installs, we place the antenna underneath the cowl underneath the hood so that nothing is seen from the outside.

jrhers
12-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Yes, portability is an issue as I have three cars and would rather not invest in three units and three subscriptions.

Have you had any reception issues with placing the antenna out of sight?

Would you mind sending me a picture of your antenna install?

Thanks again.

tom @ eas
12-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Yes, portability is an issue as I have three cars and would rather not invest in three units and three subscriptions.

Have you had any reception issues with placing the antenna out of sight?

Would you mind sending me a picture of your antenna install?

Thanks again.

No pics of the stealth install, my next cab install is in a couple weeks, I should be able to post pics then.

This is where BMW recommends locating the antenna, we cut the 6" lead off for a cleaner look:

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/1131/dscn51527qj.jpg

jrhers
12-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I very interested in seeing pictures of the stealth antenna, location and install.