PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Head Unit - any suggestions, problems

DEXTERITY
12-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I was considering replacing my head unit with an Alpine Sirius ready radio (I'm not doing this myself).

I have a 2002 325i. Besides the fact that most Bmw's don't look good without the stock head unit, is there anything I need to worry about (antenna problems, electrical problems, battery, etc)?

Also, does anyone know any sites with any pics of non stock head units?

Thanks in advance.

lexhair
12-24-2005, 07:23 PM
I was considering replacing my head unit with an Alpine Sirius ready radio (I'm not doing this myself).

I have a 2002 325i. Besides the fact that most Bmw's don't look good without the stock head unit, is there anything I need to worry about (antenna problems, electrical problems, battery, etc)?

Thanks in advance.Shouldn't be a problem but you should know that some of Alpine Head Units are restricted to 16 characters for Sirius. The CDA-9847 in our Pathfinder shows all text when connected to an iPod but truncates on Sirius.

DEXTERITY
12-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can deal with the character restrictions,lol.

I tried the starbase but I can't deal with the sound quality. It sounds like a low (lower than 128) quality mp3. It was clear, but my studio ears can't deal with that.

I think I am more worried the look of my interior won't be as nice as it is now. I have yet to see a pic of BMW with another HU that looked proper. And I wanted to make sure I won't have any electrical issues. Thanks again.

ChocolateLab
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I just had a Pioneer put in, and no, it doesn't look nearly as good. I debated the looks point, but went ahead with a HU with the features I wanted.

I've seen some Alpines that fit in well color-scheme-wise -- maybe that's why you picked that brand.

I also considered one of the Blaupunkt units with the Variocolor feature. They give you something like 4096 colors to choose from on the display. But the Pioneer was available locally with free installation and I'm not a car electronics wiz, so...

jvr826
01-05-2006, 03:29 PM

Thanks in advance.

What month was your car produced? If it's September 2002 or later, you should be able to use the BMW sourced unit. I put one in just before Christmas and it's great! Stereo separation is not the same as FM or CD, but that's how it is regardless of the receiver you have. It's a very clean sound compared to FM modulation, I tried that first and didn't care for it much.

el_duderino
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Nak CD400 or 500.

DEXTERITY
01-05-2006, 04:23 PM
thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the Alpine because, as you said, the color of the unit matched (I think) as good as it will get. But you're correct, a new HU in a BMW just doesn't look or fit the same to me either.

The BMW HU is titled/slanted as most new HU are not. If you goto a local car audio store (which are good) they can make a custom kit so the radio is centered and I think titlted a bit. I may go back and do that but for now I'm just trying to adjust and drive a lot at night wher it looks a lot better, lol. The one thing I can say is the system sounds a lot better now. Better highs and a lot more bass.

The car is a 2002, but it was manufactured in November 01 so I was told the BMW sirius unit wouldn't work and nor do I have an Aux in. I wish I did, that was the route I was trying to take.