PDA

View Full Version : I have a very important question.

HIM
12-25-2005, 09:43 PM
I was wondering if someone could please help me find out if I should rather get shocks and springs or just get the money for coilovers. I'm just wondering if getting shocks and springs would be the better bet because I'm not goig to the track everyday, but do want to. But I'm mainly getting them because i want to get a bigger size rims and want to lower it. Thank you all

Pinecone
12-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Your choice. Coilovers allow a lot more tuning adjustments, but if you aren't going to take the time to truely tune it properly, it may handle worse than a simplier setup.

Coilovers give you more choices of spring rates (assuming a real setup like TC Kline or Ground Control, NOT PSS9). But again, you have to take the time to work out what you want to get the right spring rates.

H&R or Eibach springs with Koni or Bilstein shocks and a set of good sways will do enough for most people to make the car much better than they are. IN fact stock, you car is much better than over 95% of the drivers. :)

I have TC Kline setup on E46 M3. Awesome setup. I have H&Rs with Koni double adjustables on the LTW, works very well. I have H&Rs and Bilsteins on the Roadster, also works very well.

HIM
12-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Alright thank you very much. I have just two more questions. Will H&R and EIBACH springs lower it enough to have 18 or 19" rims on there? And when they say adjustible shocks does that mean you can make them go higher or lower? Thank you

Pinecone
12-27-2005, 02:30 AM
a) You can go to 18s without changing the suspension. And that will allow a lower profile tire, without going wider, and still have enough diameter to avoid looking strange.

b) Adjustable shocks means you can adjust the dampening rates. Single adjustable shocks allow rebound adjustment (and many give some amount of compression damping adjustment at the same time). Double adjustable means you can adjust rebound an compression separately.

If you don't understand shock adjustment, go with H&R or Eibach springs and Bilsteins. No adjustments to screw up, but a very nice pacakge.

thilton59
12-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Coilovers give you more choices of spring rates (assuming a real setup like TC Kline or Ground Control, NOT PSS9). But again, you have to take the time to work out what you want to get the right spring rates..

Do you have something against the PSS9's? I'm looking at coilovers right now and the bilsteins and the TC kline set ups are what I'm thinking about.

Pinecone
12-29-2005, 03:11 AM
The PSS9 springs rates are on the very soft side. You can change them, but that takes conversion kit and so you are now into the more than the base Ground Control setup or for a bit more the single adjustable TC Kline setup.

Haivng the TCK on my E46 M3, all I can say is for a dual purpose setup, it is AWESOME. 400 ound per inch springs all around with double adjustable Konis. SWEET.

wheel-man
12-29-2005, 03:52 AM
The PSS9 springs rates are on the very soft side. You can change them, but that takes conversion kit and so you are now into the more than the base Ground Control setup or for a bit more the single adjustable TC Kline setup.

Haivng the TCK on my E46 M3, all I can say is for a dual purpose setup, it is AWESOME. 400 ound per inch springs all around with double adjustable Konis. SWEET.

How did you dial in the TCKs? Do you change the setting for track, street?