PDA

View Full Version : 1 cell phone for my BMW & Porsche

luaularry
12-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I have a 04 754 with a verizon phone. I am also getting an 06 Porsche 911. The Porsche needs a Sim card to work and according to Verizon they don't make a phone with a sim card. I am told only Cingular here in CA uses a sim card.

I don't want to different cell phones with 2 different #'s for the 2 cars. I do want to be able to use the same phone and have it be integrated into both cars.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Luau Larry

kd2789mo
12-28-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a 04 754 with a verizon phone. I am also getting an 06 Porsche 911. The Porsche needs a Sim card to work and according to Verizon they don't make a phone with a sim card. I am told only Cingular here in CA uses a sim card.
I don't want to different cell phones with 2 different #'s for the 2 cars. I do want to be able to use the same phone and have it be integrated into both cars.
Any suggestions? Thanks
Luau Larry
Larry,
The two main cell phone platforms, currently being used in the US are:
-GSM, which uses a SIM card, and is used by Cingular/At&t
-CDMA, which does not use a SIM card, and is used by Verizon

The Motorola v60 in your 745, is a Verizon in the CDMA platform. And correct, CDMA cell phones are not SIM driven.

Based on your post, it sounds as though your new 911, will have a Bluetooth system.
Both Verizon in the CDMA (non-SIM) and Cingular/At&t in the GSM (SIM) make Bluetooth compatible phones.

Even if your new 911 was capable of using a non-SIM Bluetooth phone (which, frankly, I believe it probably is) your 745 is not, nor will it ever be.

The integration you presently have in your 745 is about the only option available for your 745, and there is no future plans within BMW to provide a Bluetooth retrofit for your car.

The only way you will be able to use your current 745 phone in your 911 is if Porsche can provide an integration system for your Motorola v60, which would be a hard-wired system, the same as is now in your 745.

Unfortunately, it is not likely you will ever be able to use any other phone integrated in your 745, nor is is likely Porsche will be able to provide integration for the v60 now in your 745.

I have the same v60 Verizon in my 745, and we carry Cingular RAZR's, which also integrate with the Bluetooth system in our Jeep.