PDA

View Full Version : where is engine serial number on '99 740iL ?

Rooster59
12-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Recently purchased a 50,000 mile '99 740iL for the Mrs. from a BMW dealer in Dallas. Found an oil leak, led to finding leaks at timing case, intake, heads, oil pan, and started smokin at startup about a week later.

Local technician believes engine is not original engine.

Anyone know how I determine if engine is the original?

Cryin' the blues right now....

chuck92103
12-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Recently purchased a 50,000 mile '99 740iL for the Mrs. from a BMW dealer in Dallas. Found an oil leak, led to finding leaks at timing case, intake, heads, oil pan, and started smokin at startup about a week later.

I thought the VIN was stamped on all major components. :dunno:

Malibubimmer
12-29-2005, 09:16 PM

I'm sorry for you. But I see you only joined today. So, it's clear you didn't do your homework.* You should have checked everything out with Carfax, etc. You still may have certain rights if the dealer defrauded you, or didn't make disclosures he should have. So, if enough money is involved, you may want to see a lawyer if the dealer is unresponsive.

*(You have double-posted, which is a violation of this Board's TOS. You should do your homework, here, too.)

Rooster59
12-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Yep. New to site AND first time bimmer owner - but not a newbie at buying cars.

Did get a carfax on the car, but it was clean. Dealer even gave me BMW service records -which I checked out with the original dealer who sold/serviced the car. IF it is a replacement motor, it just happened.

Them's the breaks sumtimes, I spose.

Malibubimmer
12-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Yep. New to site AND first time bimmer owner - but not a newbie at buying cars.

Did get a carfax on the car, but it was clean. Dealer even gave me BMW service records -which I checked out with the original dealer who sold/serviced the car. IF it is a replacement motor, it just happened.

Them's the breaks sumtimes, I spose.
I don't think it's "the breaks." It sounds like you've been DEFRAUDED. If this was the servicing dealer, it knew about the problems (and possibly the replacement engine if it was replaced) and didn't disclose them to you. See a lawyer. I think you have rights, even in Texas! (Actually, despite the Wild West reputation, Texas is a fairly consumer-protective state.)

Rooster59
12-30-2005, 07:02 AM
I appreciate the sentiments, but really would like to know where to find the serial number on the engine - so I can validate that it was replaced; and, if there is a special 'decoder ring' to know what year engine IS in the car IF it was replaced.

Anyone have answers for me or links to find out?

THX.

Rooster59
12-30-2005, 09:41 PM
For anyone interested, I found out today from BMW dealer that the vin number of the motor is stamped on the TOP of the block, just behind the intake manifold. Should be same as the vin for vehicle.

If replacement motor was installed, they tell me that there will be a different 'tag' on the top of the block.

FYI.

Wagon Man
12-30-2005, 09:46 PM
:rofl: interesting read .. sometimes ain't it like pulling teeth ? :rofl:

I appreciate the sentiments, but really would like to know where to find the serial number on the engine - so I can validate that it was replaced;
THX.