PDA

View Full Version : Sirius in -- NO SOUND!

scm53
12-31-2005, 05:51 AM
Yesterday, I had the dealer install a Sirius reciever in my 2004 E83 while it was in for the Inspection I. I wanted it in so I could hear all of Monday's bowl games while out of the house. Picked the car up, went online to activate while still at the dealership. Came out to the car -- no sound. Went back, called Sirius (waited 20 minutes), and was told, yes, I was activated. They wanted me sitting in the car while we talked -- couldn't do. Went back to the car -- was receiving the channel info, but no sound. Got the service writer out, and she got the technician -- he looked at the box in the trunk, and said it was connected properly. By now, 5:45 on Friday of a holiday weekend, and I had to get out of there. Got home, took the portable phone out to the car, and called Sirius again. Was told that yes, my ESN was right, it was activated and in the system --- BUT STILL NO SOUND.

Only remedy now is to wait until next week, take the car back, and try again -- I will leave most of the obvious out (what I am missing, frustration, paying for Sirius and not having it.....) to ask this question:

The dealership said they can't tell if the system is working when they install it -- it requires you to activate the system by subscribing -- which is when you are there to p/u the car. Am I wrong, but doesn't channel 184 (weather) work even if you aren't subscribed? If you can't, they why does BMW sell the system w/o a method for the dealership to test their connection to see if it works before they deliver it to the customer?

el_duderino
12-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Not being able to get 184 on the BMW before full operation is a common issue. I don't quite understand it, but it is common.

If the unit is showing on the radio, but no sound, it makes me think they didn't include the right cable.

Do you have a CD-C or an Icelink? There is a special cable you need at that point...

SRFast
12-31-2005, 11:07 AM
scm53:
What appears on the display when you select the SAT function? Is there any type of message? Can you select Sirius channels? BTW, it is the responsibility of the dealership to ensure you have a working system before they return to you. That's what you paid for.

If you can select channels, but have no audio, I hope you get a credit from the dealership because IMHO they aren't very qualified. Check this link for more info: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118784

Hope this helps....JL

scm53
12-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the quick replies -- nope, no CD-C, no IceLink --- just a std E83 w/ Nav, and Sat Prep. I get all the channel info -- all the categories -- select one, and you get the track info -- just a buzz and pop for audio. I think I read on one of the self install threads that this can be caused by not connecting the cable to the radio head properly - maybe that is what they did.

Fortunately, the dealership is open Monday -- I have an appt for 7:30 so we will see. I do intend to ask them for a refund of the $160 in labor. If I wanted jake leg install, then that is what I would have paid for -- not BMW labor rates.

Scott

SRFast
12-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the quick replies -- nope, no CD-C, no IceLink --- just a std E83 w/ Nav, and Sat Prep. I get all the channel info -- all the categories -- select one, and you get the track info -- just a buzz and pop for audio. I think I read on one of the self install threads that this can be caused by not connecting the cable to the radio head properly - maybe that is what they did.

Fortunately, the dealership is open Monday -- I have an appt for 7:30 so we will see. I do intend to ask them for a refund of the $160 in labor. If I wanted jake leg install, then that is what I would have paid for -- not BMW labor rates.

Scott

Click on the link I provided above. That thread EXPLAINS how to resolve your issue.

Good luck.....JL

tom @ eas
12-31-2005, 09:33 PM
This thread will provide some help as well - start on post #370.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1475334#post1475334