PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Access 02'

chowan24
01-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Why in the manual does it state that if you have Comfort Access you can open your doors without pressing the key fob, but it doesn't work. BMW service guy tells me it can't be done despite it being in the manual....

Jeremy
01-06-2006, 12:00 AM
So... the 2002 7 does or does not have comfort access? I read a review online that said it did, but can't seem to confirm that anywhere.

gbelton
01-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Why in the manual does it state that if you have Comfort Access you can open your doors without pressing the key fob, but it doesn't work. BMW service guy tells me it can't be done despite it being in the manual....It's because you do not have it my friend. This feature became available in late year 2003 7ers and above...

Sorry but you've been dupped.

GMAN

Jeremy
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
It's because you do not have it my friend. This feature became available in late year 2003 7ers and above...

Sorry but you've been dupped.

GMAN

Do you happen to know the cutoff when CA became available?

chowan24
01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
no comfort on the 02. FCC wouldn't allow it for BMW but let Benz do it don't ask why....i don't know

Jeremy
01-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Hmm... thought I read something similar above BMW not being able to put the upshift buttons on the steering wheel?

760Lifan
01-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Didn't BMW introduce Comfort Access in the U.S. on the E65/66 the same time they introduced the Rear Entertainment System (wasn't that with the start of MY04?)? Could be wrong though.... :dunno:

chowan24
01-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Hmm... thought I read something similar above BMW not being able to put the upshift buttons on the steering wheel?

correct again my friend same thing applied to the comfort access...

gbelton
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
correct again my friend same thing applied to the comfort access...The shift tickers on the steering wheel were available for the sport optioned 7ers first and guess what year they started? Yep you guessed it, in '02.

No such restriction was imposed on the 7ers I had so I suspect this was the case with all US owned 7 Series.

Any more questions? Oh, and for comfort access, Lexus had it first then Mercedes, then BMW.

GMAN

BmW745On19's
01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
The 02 7er manual also talks about rear entertainment, the TV function, DVD function, and Sattelite Radio function, ahhh bliss if they were available. Our 02 7 has the shift paddles on the steering wheel but they only shift down, stupid BMW engineers!

I'm sure this has been asked before but can you have it reprogramed to go up and down? I asked the guy at the dealer and he said the whole transmission has to be replaced with the Sport Package transmission, but in the 745i/Li FAQ on this site it says when you purchase and have the wood steeringwheel installed you can get the up and down shifting steering wheel.

LMC
01-06-2006, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=760Lifan][QUOTE]

So where are those pics of your M5? :dunno:

gbelton
01-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Our 02 7 has the shift paddles on the steering wheel but they only shift down, stupid BMW engineers!
Yep and they added multi-functional shifting in the '03. Though you might have read something that said you can get this up/down shifting in the '02, I highly believe it's folklore.

I'm sure this has been asked before but can you have it reprogramed to go up and down? I asked the guy at the dealer and he said the whole transmission has to be replaced with the Sport Package transmission, but in the 745i/Li FAQ on this site it says when you purchase and have the wood steeringwheel installed you can get the up and down shifting steering wheel.See comment above. Trust me, it's not a simple Steering wheel change to get that functionality. The feature was changed in the '03 which is a different build than the '02. This is in terms of transmission, steering wheels, and software; all needed to accomplish what you are looking for.

GMAN

bimmer7
01-07-2006, 01:20 AM
The 02 7er manual also talks about rear entertainment, the TV function, DVD function, and Sattelite Radio function, ahhh bliss if they were available. Our 02 7 has the shift paddles on the steering wheel but they only shift down, stupid BMW engineers!

I'm sure this has been asked before but can you have it reprogramed to go up and down? I asked the guy at the dealer and he said the whole transmission has to be replaced with the Sport Package transmission, but in the 745i/Li FAQ on this site it says when you purchase and have the wood steeringwheel installed you can get the up and down shifting steering wheel.

My Car has upshift and downshift... the steptronic 6 speed transmission.. :D I guess the benefit of having a Canadian vehicle :thumbup:

gbelton
01-07-2006, 07:16 AM
My Car has upshift and downshift... the steptronic 6 speed transmission.. :D I guess the benefit of having a Canadian vehicle :thumbup:Non US imports always have the specialties we either get a year or two later or we never see them. Lucky you, in some sense...

F.Y.I. Bluetooth was available in '01-'02 in Europe BMW's long before it was in any car for the US. Sounds strange, nope it isn't; talk to the US Government who decides when our imports can get the nice little toys our European counterparts have...

GMAN

760Lifan
01-07-2006, 08:54 AM
So where are those pics of your M5? :dunno:

Yeah, the M5 - well, since the dealership thought they could make a better deal by selling the car to somebody else at $10K above MSRP, we decided that the M5 wasn't worth that much. We went to a different dealership and ordered a 760Li (the funny thing is that this car - although more expensive - virtually has the same lease-quote since we needn't pay this $10K mark-up and a lower GG-tax ($2K less) and get a rebate for the car itself... :thumbup:

BTW, the vessel (Liberty) with the new car arrived in Charleston, SC yesterday so we might get our new car during the next 2 weeks...SO NO M5, UNFORTUNATELY! Sure, the M5 is a very nice car but $105K is simply too much for it, IMO... :tsk:

BmW745On19's
01-07-2006, 10:46 AM
That sucks, I really wanted to get the wood steering wheel cause of the shifting thingys, but it would probably be slippery.