PDA

View Full Version : Valve Springs, Retainers - etc..

RaleighM3
01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Have a general question (as I build my M3 for the track)

I have heard strong rumors that a critical replacement before performing any serious track time - are the Titanium Vale Spring Retainers and the applicable Seat Kits (if I am in there, I assume, springs would also be a logical process)....

Question is - I heard that the stock are very prone to failure and will cause serious engine damage if they are toasted...... Fact or Fiction?

Thanks!!

MATT95M3
01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
i believe that to be a fact. if i remember correctly the 3.0L engines made after 10-95 had the weak valve retainers. if i were building a track car i would change them as well as the valve springs. i can e-mail you some pictures of the pistons from my car, that will definitly make you want to change them ;)

Bruce
01-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Be careful what you do if you ever intend to race it. Make sure you read the rulebook for any class you might intend on racing it. Undoing mods can be expensive.

Pinecone
01-04-2006, 06:52 PM
:stupid: Or sorse, competing in a class where you have NO chance of bein competitive.

Isn't those built BEFORE 10/95 hav weak retainers?

And titanium retainers are NOT the way to go for street or street/track cars. Titanium is somewhat brittle, so it cracks and breaks from impact loads, which retainers are subject to. For a racing engine, where it is torn down several times per year, fine, but to stick them in and run them for many thousands of miles, you may end up with BIG problems.

rrsperry
01-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Talk to James Clay, or Will Turner.

thilton59
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Is there anything else in the valvetrain that is known to be weak?

RaleighM3
01-07-2006, 03:11 PM
i believe that to be a fact. if i remember correctly the 3.0L engines made after 10-95 had the weak valve retainers. if i were building a track car i would change them as well as the valve springs. i can e-mail you some pictures of the pistons from my car, that will definitly make you want to change them ;)

Please email - would love to see them.

All - thanks for the information - I appreciate it -
I am building a track only M3 - so, still unclear - is the titanium what I want - or does some have a better recommendation?

Thanks Again