PDA

View Full Version : Are Your Guys Having iDrive Problems These Days?

Malibubimmer
01-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Over on the 6er Board 32% of 6er owners here in the U.S. are having iDrive problems. And getting frequent software updates. And then getting more updates.

I know the early 7ers had iDrive issues, which lead to many buy backs. But from my visits to your board (I hope it is okay), I don't see too much these days.

I'm collecting data and, if the iDrive problems on the 6ers aren't resolved, and if BMW NA continues to give us no information or false information (one example - they don't know how to re-boot the iDrive and say it can't be done :liar: ) I'm going to ask one of my colleagues who does automobile class action litigation to take BMW NA on.

So, it would be useful for me to know if what Jon calls the "Flagship of BMWs" is still having iDrive problems and, if so, what they are.

Please chime in!

gbelton
01-03-2006, 11:41 PM
My 7 is Solid As A Rock!

GMAN

kd2789mo
01-04-2006, 06:36 AM
No issues whatsoever, though only 15k on an '04. Not even a rattle. iDrive has been flawless as well.
You should pop-in more often. I read "your" board regularly and learn a lot....and, get some good laughs....with, not at :)

chowan24
01-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I have a 02 745i and my iDrive was freezing and BMW gave me a 05 DVD based navigation and the 05 platform/cpu. the only thing 02 in my car now is the ladies voice wich is encoded in the car

kd2789mo
01-04-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a 02 745i and my iDrive was freezing and BMW gave me a 05 DVD based navigation and the 05 platform/cpu. the only thing 02 in my car now is the ladies voice wich is encoded in the car
Chowan,
If you have an 05 CPU and iDrive, why would you want to put a old CPT8000 in it?
Did BMW also upgrade the bluetooth ULF? If so, you can use any approved phone any other 05 can use??

jkb
01-05-2006, 01:54 AM
my '06 750 is perfect.

how did you get 32%? did you poll every US 6er owner there is? you do realize people usually dont go and complain to the internet board unless they have a problem. very bad sample size if you only use internet board.

2006_750Li_ED
01-05-2006, 07:33 AM
My 750Li had a few problems, the navigation stopped working and the only fix was to let the computer reboot by itself after leaving the car off for an extended time, also I had the jerky transmission problem in low speeds, the car software needed to be upgraded to fox it, also I had an issue with the car engine wobbling in the morning while the car is cold, that was never fixed and I can live with it, also I had a big rattle from the dashboard that appeared as soon as the weather got cold, and apparently many others have exactly the same problems.

I also had some issues with the bluetooth, whrere whenever I was using the phone it was very screechy aith static, that went away after the software upgrade.
otherwise my car is amazing, I love it and would not trade it for anything else in the market. (although I have not yet thoroughly tested the new S550, I just briefly driven it and was not too impressed)

in the short period that I had my 750 I must say that the fealers who worked on it do not know how to fix anything as the problems are mostly software and they are not programmers, all they know to do is upgrade software.
this last version 19.2 seems to be finally very stable and I have not had any problems anymore, except the rattle from the dashboard.

you have a brand new 650i? nice, I hope that you resolve your problems and start enjoying this magnificent vehicle.

Malibubimmer
01-05-2006, 07:52 AM
my '06 750 is perfect.

how did you get 32%? did you poll every US 6er owner there is? you do realize people usually dont go and complain to the internet board unless they have a problem. very bad sample size if you only use internet board.
We did a poll and 4 people responded that they had had problems. But then 4 more admitted they had had problems but since they were repaired they didn't think they counted. They did. Then I found one more poster with a 645Ci who didn't participate in the poll. So of 28 owners, 9 had problems. Pretty pathetic.

I want to thank all the 7er owners for participating in this informal poll. I hope your iDrives don't give you problems. Though I have had many problems, the 650i is a great car.

jkb
01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
We did a poll and 4 people responded that they had had problems. But then 4 more admitted they had had problems but since they were repaired they didn't think they counted. They did. Then I found one more poster with a 645Ci who didn't participate in the poll. So of 28 owners, 9 had problems. Pretty pathetic.

I want to thank all the 7er owners for participating in this informal poll. I hope your iDrives don't give you problems. Though I have had many problems, the 650i is a great car.

yeah, but you said 32% of 6er owners here in the U.S. are having iDrive problems which is a very false statement. your sample size is tainted and skewed.

jacksprat
01-05-2006, 02:10 PM
he has commited the Biased Sample Fallacy. To get a better poll, he is going to have to go over to bimmerforums.com and roadfly to get more data.

Malibubimmer
01-05-2006, 02:21 PM
he has commited the Biased Sample Fallacy. To get a better poll, he is going to have to go over to bimmerforums.com and roadfly to get more data.
I disagree. I don't think 29 owners is a sufficient sample for the perhaps 12,000 6ers in the U.S. (we'd probably need at least 75-90), but I went back through the posts and none of the 6er owners came on this board because he was having iDrive problems. If that were the case, that could skew the results.

So, the sample is probably too small, but I don't think the sample is also biased.

Malibubimmer
01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
yeah, but you said 32% of 6er owners here in the U.S. are having iDrive problems which is a very false statement. your sample size is tainted and skewed.
I never said that. Look at my first post. I said 32% of the 6er owners who post in the 6er forum. I don't think my sample is tainted or skewed. But I do think it is too small from a statistical perspective. One of the reasons I came over here was to see if there were also similar iDrive issues among 7er owners. That would expand the sample, slightly.

I can see where you are confused, though. When I referred to 6er owners on the Board who post, who are in the U.S,. I was excluding several posters in other countries who have different software loaded.

jacksprat
01-05-2006, 02:46 PM
true

chowan24
01-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Chowan,
If you have an 05 CPU and iDrive, why would you want to put a old CPT8000 in it?
Did BMW also upgrade the bluetooth ULF? If so, you can use any approved phone any other 05 can use??

no they didn't upgrade that...I wish the phone prob sucks. Kind of crazy 05 cpu and DVD Nav system but original computer chic voice since it is coded into the car...*****

Bimmer745li
01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
how did you get BMW to upgrade that? did it cost anything? did they give you trouble?

stevemac40
01-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Yes having iDrive problems...have had computer issues where GPS will flash off and on, radio screen will do the same, sometimes they went back and forth between themselves without touching iDrive. Computer once fixed, now it is doing the same. I will spare you the list of other problems with the car.

gbelton
01-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Yes having iDrive problems...have had computer issues where GPS will flash off and on, radio screen will do the same, sometimes they went back and forth between themselves without touching iDrive. Computer once fixed, now it is doing the same. I will spare you the list of other problems with the car.

What year, build of 745 (i) or (Li) do you have? What dealer if you do not mind sharing have you gone too? Did you buy the 745 new?

GMAN

Boxboss
01-12-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm from 6 board also. No problems with iDrive on either the 6 or the 7. May '05 645 cab, Sep '04 745Li.

chuck92103
01-12-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm from 6 board also. No problems with iDrive on either the 6 or the 7. May '05 645 cab, Sep '04 745Li.

Shoot we almost had the same parents, April 05 645 Coupe :D

BmW745On19's
01-12-2006, 07:33 PM
I too have had the computer and navigation updated to the 2005 models and yet they are still having problems with it such as the iDrive freezing up momentarily and the amp blowing out, unrelated, screen switching for no reason and the computer restarting. What is the latest iDrive update for the 02-05 7-Series?

Boxboss
01-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Twin mothers of different sons.

cpiguy
01-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I just got my 650ic and can't believe how much I love it. My previous car was a 2002 M3 Convertible. The only issue I'm having is my Accept sceen, which will take from 2 to 30 second to pop up. Sometimes it's instant and sometime it's not. I can be driving down the street before I get the Accept button. The dealer is trying to tell me it's normal. No friken way I buy it!!! I wish it poped up like in my X5. I also wish I could get the iDrive to default to a screen choice such as Navigation after pressing the accept button.

Malibubimmer
01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
I just got my 650ic and can't believe how much I love it. My previous car was a 2002 M3 Convertible. The only issue I'm having is my Accept sceen, which will take from 2 to 30 second to pop up. Sometimes it's instant and sometime it's not. I can be driving down the street before I get the Accept button. The dealer is trying to tell me it's normal. No friken way I buy it!!! I wish it poped up like in my X5. I also wish I could get the iDrive to default to a screen choice such as Navigation after pressing the accept button.
Congrats on your purchase. You are on the wrong board. Come over to the 6er board.

As for the Accept screen, whch I think is a ludicrous thing for reasons I have posted often on the 6er board, it takes a properly operating iDrive (something I know little about based on my experiences) 28 seconds to go from sleep mode to annoying Accept mode. If you wake up the car by opening a door, or by remotely unlocking the doors, or by opening the trunk, that starts the countdown. If the iDrive is already awake, the countdown is very short. That's why it sometimes feels like 2 seconds rather than 30.

If/when the iDrive slows and requires more than 28 seconds to get you to the annoyance screen, you have iDrive problems on the way, brother.

XZLR8
01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
I have a 6 and a 7, neither with "iDrive problems." Gee, I hope I get to be included in a sample. I just hate being left out.

XZLR8
01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a 6 and a 7, neither with "iDrive problems." Gee, I hope I get to be included in a sample. I just hate being left out.

XZLR8
01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
No iDrive problems, but apparently message board issues. Sorry about the double post. Can I be part of a class action suit against... oh, hell... someone??

drguido
05-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I have been having problems with my idrive for over a year. All BMW will do is update the software. The latest update was to the "07 software and things have gotten worse. No wthe system locks up for up to 20 min. Sign me up for a class action.

sunny_j
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM

i have a 2003 760li and i have a guys voice. can we change it from male or female?

Allzwell
05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
No problems with the I Drive here either.

I do have the transmission lunges at low speeds ... this does suck

ClermontFlash
05-04-2007, 06:14 PM
06 750i no problem whatsoever at 15k miles.

Kayani_1
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
My 745i had i-drive freezing issues as well. They have updated software replaced few things and yet the issue still came back. But recently they did some more changes and so far so good. I have my fingers crossed.

paulmurphyhomes
05-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I have had many. Many times that they say they need to do an update yet they never fixed it. I am told that they have now solved the problem this time (I've had a freezing problem ever since I bought the car). Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS_cEkCjJA

I will let you know if it's fixed when I pick it up tomorrow... I've got to tell you I am at my wits end!

:mad: :dunno: :thumbdwn: