PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake Negatives

robmastria
01-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Are there any negatives from installing a cold air intake kit?

avalys
01-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Loss of performance due to poorly-engineered aftermarket kits.

Whining/whistling noise from air rushing in, normally muffled by the stock airbox.

MATT95M3
01-04-2006, 09:33 AM
cool air intakes are a good upgrade for any engine, they allow the engine to draw in cooler more dense air, easier . i agree that you have to have a well designed kit, the poorly designed kits often dont use heat shields and in turn draw in air from the engine compartment which as we all know is rather warm. tms and aa both have good cai kits

def328
01-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Check this out http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447256

:confused:

robmastria
01-06-2006, 12:05 PM
that doesn't really help with anything. I read the articles and those only address the BMW stock air filter with a K&N air filter but both of those are used only in the stock air box. My question is concerned with replacing the factory air box with a cold air intake kit. If cold air didn't increase air flow to the engine by replacing the comparable restrictive factory air box people wouldn't do it. The article you had said to read only compares stock filter vs. k&n filter in the factory air box.

def328
01-06-2006, 12:18 PM
that doesn't really help with anything. I read the articles and those only address the BMW stock air filter with a K&N air filter but both of those are used only in the stock air box. My question is concerned with replacing the factory air box with a cold air intake kit. If cold air didn't increase air flow to the engine by replacing the comparable restrictive factory air box people wouldn't do it. The article you had said to read only compares stock filter vs. k&n filter in the factory air box.

Well if you read on down in the thread there are many comments as to whether a CAI really does anything and maybe even reduces HP. You know you can't believe everything you read but everything you do read gives you more to consider. One thing interesting in that thread was a dyno test ran with out any air box and with the air box, using the same car, same day and showed no increase in HP. The point of the some the remarks in there was no noticable increase from a CAI and that some actually do some damage over time to the engine. If you like the sound of a CAI, maybe thats good enough reason to get one, but don't do it for performance.

JDM_STI
02-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Any untuned performance aftermarket part is not a good choice for an upgrade, remember these cars are very sensitive, if your looking to upgrade get your parts ready then slap them on and tune it. First of all most common problems are MAF sensors going bad or incorrect A/F ratios leading to HP loss. On a N/A car you wont notice to many problems but in FI car the problems are more persistant. Bottom line is always tune.