PDA

View Full Version : Sirius S50

wahpah
01-07-2006, 02:34 PM
I just got this... Has anyone tried putting this unit into their Bimmers? Just wondering how other people are setting this up.

SRFast
01-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I just got this... Has anyone tried putting this unit into their Bimmers? Just wondering how other people are setting this up.

What year is your car?

LDV330i
01-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I just got this... Has anyone tried putting this unit into their Bimmers? Just wondering how other people are setting this up.A picture would have helped to know what you were talking about.:D

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/607/h607S50-o_mt.jpeg

To get best sound do not use FM modulator but use the AUX output. If your does not have AUX input in your car. you should get one installed. You also do not need to install your antenna on the outside. Mounting on top of the dashboard close to the base of the windshield will work. On my 330i I have mounted the antenna inside on the rear deck under the rear window and reception has never been a problem. I did not want to see a big blob sitting on top of my car.

Last summer when I went on vacation I took my XM2Go (portable XM radio) with me so that I could continue enjoying satellite radio in the rental car. Using the FM modulator the sound was crappy and had to constantly change the frequency. I could never live with that as a permanent solution.

Dabear2
01-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I have just finished installing my SIRIUS S50.
They are currently not available in Canada yet so I bought it off Ebay. Canadian SIRIUS does not get all the channels as the USA, like Howard Stern and others. For this reason I know a few friends that subscribe under a USA address. To avoid any hassle I decided to get a lifetime subscription to the Canadian SIRIUS. I was excited to find out I got all the USA channels. It must be because this S50 was made for a USA subscriber.

I have to say, I love it so far!

Aux Input
"USA SPEC Auxiliary Interface" I found it on Ebay for $10. It plugs into the cd-changer wires which are located in the trunk

Power
"Cigarette lighter extension cable" I bought it at Wal-Mart for around $5. I Cut the female end and hardwired it in.

Antenna
I first mounted it on my rear shelf but signal was terrible. My windows have a metallic tint. I ended up mounting it on the trunk as suggested in the manual. Signal is 100% now. My car is black and you can hardly notice it.

Mount
All wires are completely hidden (which seemed to take me the most time). I mounted the unit itself very similar to the picture above.

In addition I also added a 10" Sub woofer using the "Peripheral Super VEN 2 Interface Adapter"
$21.95 @ http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERSVEN2

I have little experience working with car stereo systems, so this install took me a long time. I could not have done any of this without the information found on this site. Thank you to all that have & continue to post helpful information.:thumbup:

einarspeed
02-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I had the S50 professionally installed in my 2002 540 6 speed a few weeks ago. It's mounted on the right side of the console just to the left of the glove box. The mounting bracket allows for great flexibility in angling the unit toward the driver. It works through the FM modulation just fine, although I had to play around with the frequency a bit to find the most unused one in our local area. However, that's very easy to do as the S50 can work on almost any frequency in the FM band, and it also allows you to set up 3 different preset frequencies, so you can switch to a different one when traveling. It's great because you get all the features of the S50 (beautiful screen and song info, MP3 storage of songs, portability to other vehicles) and yet it plays through the factory installed stereo so all the steering wheel controls, etc. work with it. It cost me $75 to have installed and I'm extremely pleased with the sound quality and variety of programming available on Sirius. I'll never listen to regular FM stations again, and I find that I don't have the need or desire to play or buy CD's any more.

zentenn
03-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I almost bought the S50 today at Best Buy. They want $275 for it. They also said they only do hard wire installs, and won't put the antenna anywhere inside the car. I told the guy there that I've heard of people mounting it on the rear deck with no reception problems. He then said something about the reception isn't as good if you're heading North. I figured he was full of it, so I decided to do more research before I bought. I would like to get the S50, but I already have the IceLink Plus connected to the CD changer plug. Where does the S50 get hard wired into? Best Buy said I could use both at the same time, but I don't know if they really know what they're talking about. :dunno:

tom @ eas
03-20-2006, 09:46 AM
I almost bought the S50 today at Best Buy. They want $275 for it. They also said they only do hard wire installs, and won't put the antenna anywhere inside the car. I told the guy there that I've heard of people mounting it on the rear deck with no reception problems. He then said something about the reception isn't as good if you're heading North. I figured he was full of it, so I decided to do more research before I bought. I would like to get the S50, but I already have the IceLink Plus connected to the CD changer plug. Where does the S50 get hard wired into? Best Buy said I could use both at the same time, but I don't know if they really know what they're talking about. :dunno:

For $275 - you're close to OEM Sirius territory. This will integrate much better than the S50.