PDA

View Full Version : Best bluetooth phone for BMWs

BringsMeWomen
01-09-2006, 06:02 PM
What is the best and most reliable phone out there that works with BMWs?

b-y
01-09-2006, 11:11 PM
There is no single reply. You need to consider:

(a) do you want to have charging and use of the external antenna via a snap-in connector?

(b) do you have a preference for a carrier or technology (GSM or CDMA or ??)?

(c) do you have a preference for frequency bands (800 and 1900 MHz in NA)?

BringsMeWomen
01-10-2006, 03:27 AM
There is no single reply. You need to consider:

(a) do you want to have charging and use of the external antenna via a snap-in connector?

(b) do you have a preference for a carrier or technology (GSM or CDMA or ??)?

(c) do you have a preference for frequency bands (800 and 1900 MHz in NA)?

Well, I want the best!

(a) Yes!
(b) GSM since it is the superior technology
(c) Triband!

gwells67
01-10-2006, 12:25 PM
The Moto E815 is pretty good...For Verizon. You really need to decide on a carrier first; and needing it to be able to charge is going to limit you a lot as BMW doesn't make a lot of different center armrest docks. Decide on a carrier, then see if you can get the optional cradle for it here:
http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth/Compatible_Phones.htm

ObD
01-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Anyone of the Motorola triplets V3xx, V5xx, V6xx.

I am using a V540 and had used a V535.

bscarlett
01-11-2006, 06:09 AM
I also have a V600 and V635 for my 2 BMW's. The only problem with them is if you have multiple phone numbers for a person ie. Work Home Mobile, when you scroll through the phone book on the MID, it does not indicate which entry is which. The Sony T610 places a (H) (W) or (M) after the name.

ambishop
01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Here is the list from BMW

http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth/Compatible_Phones.htm

Sony Ericsson invented Bluetooth, so they typically have the best support
Motorola has come a long way with the new BT stuff
LG Sucks in my opinion
Nokia seems to have Good support
Samsung A900 looks like a killer phone, I heard it works but have not tried it

Martin
www.bimmernav.com

b-y
01-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, I want the best!

(a) Yes!
(b) GSM since it is the superior technology
(c) Triband!

So, despite some of the posts below your reply, VZ is out. They use CDMA, not GSM.
Also, "tri-band" has multiple meanings:
In North America GSM phones sold as tri-band usually have the 800, 1800 & 1900 bands. This means they will not work in parts of Europe and Asia that have 900 MHz only coverage.
Conversely, European phones sold as tri-band usually have 900, 1800 & 1900 bands and do not work (or work well) in large parts of the US & Canada.
(Also, to confuse things more, GSM at 800 is often marketed as "GSM 850" by some of the carriers in North America.)

Motown328
01-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Anyone of the Motorola triplets V3xx, V5xx, V6xx.

I am using a V540 and had used a V535.

Agreed.

BringsMeWomen
01-19-2006, 03:30 AM
I also hear of a lot of complaints with Bluetooth phones... Which ones are the best and problem free?

TKrotchko
01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
I also hear of a lot of complaints with Bluetooth phones... Which ones are the best and problem free?

Well, I'm not sure kinds of complaints you mean. In my experience when people understand what bluetooth can do for them in terms of automation with their car and their PC, they're hooked.

My wife thought my installation of BT in my e46 was a silly idea, until she saw how it worked. Then she wanted to trade her phone and have me install in her van.

In terms of working, unlike a lot of people, my experience with with my V710 has been decent. It's a major disappointment that Verizon crippled the phone, but for car use, there has been no issue, other than the fact that it doesn't swap phone books with the car. On the other hand, unless you have the Nav unit, this is less useful than it seems, since you can't really scroll through a phonebook on the business CD.

When it comes to replacing the phone this summer, I'm leaning towards the Moto E815, although I like the V3 RAZR. The E815 has superior battery life according to what I've read. In addition, it takes the memory card, which is nice for moving pictures and music to and from the phone. But somebody put it best before, you have to choose a carrier first, then you pick a phone.

hunt55
01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Now that the BT is fixed in my car. The motorola E815 works.

jonasolof
01-29-2006, 04:41 AM

I have friend who has a 2006 MBW and wants to use the BMW roof antenna. The connector in the front seat console is a bare male connector with a central pin. Is it possible to buy a cable with the appropriate female jack on it or is it possible just to buy the connector which I could crimp. Maybe a standard jack could be modified?

Regards

Jonas/Brussels