PDA

View Full Version : Car Magazine - Back Issues

Emission
12-21-2001, 10:20 AM
I've got a box of old (1985-1990) car magazines. These are mostly Road & Track, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend. They are in no particular order, but they are in good shape. Great reading for enthusiasts.

I am giving them away... just pay shipping (they probably weigh close to 30 pounds).

If nobody wants them, I've got to toss them.

E-mail me for more info.

hts
12-21-2001, 11:10 AM
I dunno, maybe a local VA hospital or something.

Then again, they're probably worth millions if you decided to sell them via ebay. Those idiots will buy anything.

:D :D :D :D :D

TD
12-21-2001, 02:43 PM
If you could skim them for reviews of my former '91 318is or my current '98 M3/4, I'd gladly pay to have them mailed. But I have no need (or space) for them all.

Emission
12-21-2001, 03:45 PM
Ha, I've been reduced to a librarian. I'll do a quick scan, but just for you. I want them out of the house!

hts
12-21-2001, 08:21 PM
between the Integra GS-R and the 318ti? You know the one where the GS-R kicked the pants off the ti?

I have an old friend who had a ti (I had a GS-R), now he's got a 323 (I've got a 330i), and I wanted to share it with him, but I could never find it.

TIA,

hts

P.S. You get my vote for "2001 Bimmerfest.com Archivist of the Year."

AF
12-23-2001, 04:08 PM
I know the feeling of parting with your old car magazines. When I was moving I threw out at least 100+ mags (probably a lot more than that). I ended up throwing them out in my office dumpster and a day or two later someone actually took them.

For over a dozen years I've saved every car magazine but now it feels good to just read them and throw them out :)

Just do it Mike, toss them out !!!!!!!!!

hts
12-23-2001, 04:16 PM
We haven't had a chance to see one up close and personal (let alone drive one!), although I suspect we'll end up with either an Odyssey or a Sienna this time next year when my wife's Bravada lease expires.

We drove the Sienna 2 weekends ago and it was fine (and they're offering 36-mth/0%, which is nice), but I somehow suspect we'd like the Odyssey even more.

I'm glad to see that Honda opened its new production line (dedicated to the Odyssey 6 months early). Maybe that and the sluggish economy will make them more available next xmas.

Emission
12-23-2001, 04:28 PM
Alan,

I've been collecting (hmmm, maybe it is stockpiling) car magazines for years. I've got many as far back as fifteen years. That is a lot of issues!

I tossed the Autoweeks about four months ago. Now, I only want to keep those with "binders"... they look much better on the shelves.

I can't bring myself to toss them... even yesterday an old friend called up to come over and do research (he wanted to see the original write-up on his car).

AF
12-23-2001, 04:34 PM
Harrison,

We've had ours for almost 2 years now and we've put about 20,000 miles on it.

It's a very good mini-van, it's pretty quick and has a nice power band. It also handles very well especially when you realize your driving a mini-van because it feels more like a sedan.

We used to have a 97 Pathfinder SE which I liked but that car was a lease and the buy out was too high plus we really wanted something with more room. We looked at every minivan out there and we also considered the Lexus RX300 and the Dodge Durango. In the end it came between the Durango and the Odyssey though the SIenna was pretty close too.

If you compare the Sienna to the Odyssey you'll find the Odyssey beats it in almost every catagory except Dealer discount ;)

I'll tell you some of the things we liked better about the Odyssey

- both sliding doors are electric
- folding table between front seats - believe me this is very useful especially when driving and one of the kids are freakin out, it makes it vey easy to get to the back
- folding 3rd seat - This is THE BEST feature of the van- We have that seat up & down so many times it's not even funny. We only have 2 children so it's no big deal but if you have 3 then it could cause a problem because you can't put the 3rd row down if you have to drive with the whole family.
- middle seats that slide together or apart that makes caption chairs - This feature is good to have but not really a MUST have. I think I've only used it once or twice, 99.9% of the time the seats are kept apart like caption chairs

- Another awesome feature is the well behind the 3rd seat when the 3rd seat is up. It makes a huge difference and you could fit at least 2 strollers plus a lot of junk back there.

I highly recommend the Odyssey, it's worth paying sticker price for it, Ours was only $26,400 (or close to that I don't remember exactly) and I was thinking about getting rid of it 6 months ago when we had 15,000 miles, would you believe 2 different dealers offered me $23,800 for it !!!

I was shocked at the resale value but then again at that time the car still had a 5-6 month waiting list. I have no idea what it is now.

If you have any other questions, email me anytime.

AF
12-23-2001, 04:35 PM
I understand Mike, it's a tough thing to throw them out . . . it took me this long to do it and while's it tough, it felt soooo good when I knew I was at the point of no return (they were in the dumpster)

hts
12-23-2001, 09:08 PM
I too am sold on the Odyssey (even though I haven't driven it, I've read enough independent reviews, both professional and consumer) to realize that it's head and shoulders above the competition (including the Sienna).

The problem is that we're (my wife and I) both value-conscious. I can get a Sienna for $300 over invoice AND 0% for 36 months now. Of course, we're not looking to buy now, but I'm guessing Odysseys are still going for MSRP+ right now (if you can find one).

I hope to be able to drive one sometime in the Spring when the new plant kicks in and supply is doubled. My wife thinks the Odyssey is ugly, and so it already has one strike against it (you know women).

;)

Thanks again and best of luck with it--it sounds like a real keeper.

hts

AF
12-24-2001, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by hts
My wife thinks the Odyssey is ugly, and so it already has one strike against it (you know women).

;)

Thanks again and best of luck with it--it sounds like a real keeper.

hts

That's pretty funny . . . another reason we got the Odyssey was because my wife loved it . . . everytime we went to look at another minivan she kept saying how much she loved the Odyssey. I couldn't convince her to get any other car !!!

Is it a keeper ? ? I really don't know about that, I still feel like a nerd driving the thing ;) it's just that minivan image that you can't shake.

I think if we decide to stay with just 2 kids then we'll trade it in, in about 1- 1 1/2 yrs.

As much as I think it's a great minivan it's just not that comfortable. It's not like my back hurts after driving it or anything like that, it's just that mini-vans aren't as comfortable to drive as a sedan would be. You don't feel like your one peice with the car. BUT if you have little children, it is the best compromise of all worlds. It is definately the most comfortable for the kids and that's what being a parent is all about. It's about them not us !!

http://members.roadfly.com/ALAN927/Odyssey.jpg

hts
12-24-2001, 09:11 AM
the little ones, eh?

We're relocating to the Triangle area next year. I had planned for us to buy something decent (1 acre wooded lot in a golf-course community, etc.) down there. But as luck would have it, once we started looking into local school systems, we ended up with something we never would have considered previously.

Pretty amazing. I've got a one month old (Ben) and a 14 month old (Jason/JC)--how 'bout you?

http://mail.roadfly.com/Session/21421-lbGoa3BMDKhrEraCEYZ5/WebSite/Picture+074.jpg
http://mail.roadfly.com/Session/21421-lbGoa3BMDKhrEraCEYZ5/WebSite/DSC01966.JPG

Emission
12-24-2001, 09:34 AM
OK, so who gave you permission to post pics of your kids ACTUAL SIZE? Pretty funny!

They are both really cute (but the images don't even fit on my 19" screen!).

We need a thread dedicated to "kids of Bimmerfest posters"...

hts
12-24-2001, 09:55 AM
thing. Guess I need to shrink them down a little bit more next time, eh?

Do ya' think?

;)

Emission
12-24-2001, 10:00 AM
I just printed them up, cut them out, and gave my son two new actual size playmates! Ha ha ha

Here is my addition to society:

My son (just turned 3). (http://wsphotofews.excite.com/021/ko/Nt/Hl/o088012.jpg)

hts
12-24-2001, 10:12 AM
A cute one, but a little terror nonetheless!!

:D

AF
12-24-2001, 11:18 AM
heh, heh . . . I leave the computer for a couple of hours and this is what I come back to :)

I can't see Harrisons pictures for some reason but I did see Emissions . . . very cute boy and I know what they do at that age cause here's mine !!!

My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter is almost 2 and yes that big one in the middle is me!!!

http://members.roadfly.com/ALAN927/meandmycleaningcrew.jpg

hts
12-24-2001, 01:16 PM
I'm having some kinda' problem posting pix today.

Twice my sig pictures crapped out (after working for days), and now the pix of my boys crapped out (after working earlier today).

Is this a bimmerfest problem or a Roadfly problem?

:(

http://mail.roadfly.com/Session/21513-c76mA0BUcwtfJhJQ2ZRh/WebSite/Picture+074.jpg

http://mail.roadfly.com/Session/21513-c76mA0BUcwtfJhJQ2ZRh/WebSite/DSC01966.JPG

AF
12-24-2001, 02:05 PM
They worked that time !!!

Beautiful kids Harrison :) :) :)

. . . and also very large kids ;)

hts
12-24-2001, 02:08 PM
Or at least, why my wife needs one!

Dan
01-21-2002, 03:29 PM
I have a gigantic collection of car magazines, including almost every issue of Car & Driver and Road & Track since the mid 70's, virtually every Automobile, and some Motor Trends going all the way back to the mid 70's. My wife is really wanting me to get rid of them, but I just can't seem to part with them - every once in a while, I love digging out some old issues and reading them. I am seriously thinking about having them all bound and buying some bookcases to keep them in. A few years a go, I took all my AutoWeeks to the recycling center, and I was not happy about that for a long time after.

It is a blast to dig out an old issue and read a comparison test of vehicles that are now antiques - for instance, I recently read a test of the MGB v. Fiat 124 Spyder v. TR6 v. Porsche 914 - how's that for nostalgia?