PDA

View Full Version : 02-05 Phone lovers Dream?

chowan24
01-11-2006, 11:39 AM
In about 2 hrs. my friends I will be able to report back and tell you if you can tell BMW to hell with their $1000 + retro bluetooth thingie and stay with your Startac. I'll give all details in about 2 hours if this works.....

chowan24
01-11-2006, 01:04 PM
In about 2 hrs. my friends I will be able to report back and tell you if you can tell BMW to hell with their $1000 + retro bluetooth thingie and stay with your Startac. I'll give all details in about 2 hours if this works.....

I need 2 more hrs. i'll be back with details....

chowan24
01-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I need 2 more hrs. i'll be back with details....

Yes , i'm still waiting. i'm having a slight activation problem

chowan24
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Yes , i'm still waiting. i'm having a slight activation problem

I have to go and get my phone software updated, and then my Timeport should be activated. I already have a phone # though....

gearh0
01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
is this a bmw timeport or a non?

chowan24
01-13-2006, 11:55 AM
is this a bmw timeport or a non?

we are all screwed. even if you have a BMW Timeport if it does not have software version 7058 it can't be activated but a phone number can be given. that doesn't help. software version i believe 6324 would have worked but since you can port your old number to new services it can't. why cant a non bmw timeport be recognized by idrive.

kd2789mo
01-14-2006, 09:49 AM
why cant a non bmw timeport be recognized by idrive.
"BMW" branded phones have a different firmware version. This version of firmware is what enables the Motorola product to interface with iDrive. If you're interested enough, you can gain more information by contacting Motorola, and speaking with one of their Portable Phone Software Engineer techs.

The BMW version of firmware is written by Motorola, to BMW specs. Conceivably, Motorola could install the firmware in any timeport. Because of contractual agreements, and copyright protection, they will only install it in BMW branded phones.

bimmer7
01-15-2006, 12:02 AM
"BMW" branded phones have a different firmware version. This version of firmware is what enables the Motorola product to interface with iDrive. If you're interested enough, you can gain more information by contacting Motorola, and speaking with one of their Portable Phone Software Engineer techs.

The BMW version of firmware is written by Motorola, to BMW specs. Conceivably, Motorola could install the firmware in any timeport. Because of contractual agreements, and copyright protection, they will only install it in BMW branded phones.

So is it possible to install firmware software in another Motorola phone such as the V3682? which plugs into our 745's (02-05) as I have tried it with my V3682.. charges it but obviously doesnt get detected by I-drive.. thus making it non branded by BMW
The reason i ask is because it was released around the same time as the TimePort series... but is a GSM phone!

kd2789mo
01-15-2006, 12:09 PM
So is it possible to install firmware software in another Motorola phone such as the V3682? which plugs into our 745's (02-05) as I have tried it with my V3682.. charges it but obviously doesnt get detected by I-drive.. thus making it non branded by BMW
The reason i ask is because it was released around the same time as the TimePort series... but is a GSM phone!

Surely it is physically possible, Motorola can put any version of available firmware in one of their phones.
Motorola would have to have developed a BMW specific firmware for the V3682/GSM, and would have to be contracted with BMW to provide it.

Last year, I found Motorola's tech support both willing and helpful discussing BMW phone applications, and it was not at all difficult to navigate through their phone system to get to talk to someone.
Perhaps a call to them would be beneficial to you also.

gearh0
01-16-2006, 12:24 AM
i have ordered a non bmw timeport for 30 bucks (cheap lesson) and am hoping it will work. i have heard reports that non bmw phones have worked.

not address book etc but you can dial from the car phone and the handsfree works

triple_sissy
01-16-2006, 06:17 AM
It sure DIDN'T work with mine - none of the hands-free features. I had to buy a BMW phone to make it work.

bimmer7
01-27-2006, 07:57 AM
i have ordered a non bmw timeport for 30 bucks (cheap lesson) and am hoping it will work. i have heard reports that non bmw phones have worked.

not address book etc but you can dial from the car phone and the handsfree works

Okay.. well can you post which phone and model specifically you talking about :dunno:
Because I went to my dealer and they said ... only the CPT8000 TimePort can work... Like I said earlier I got aq V3682 to plug in since its GSM.. but sadly no programming can be done by BMW Canada....:tsk: ...anyways let us know if you got your phone to work...:thumbup:

chowan24
01-27-2006, 04:16 PM
not possible at has to have bmw software version 7058 (CPT 8000)

BayAreaBMWFan
01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Is it possible to extract the firmware from a BMW phone and then install it on a different phone?

kd2789mo
01-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Is it possible to extract the firmware from a BMW phone and then install it on a different phone?
Firmware installs are encrypted. Most likely, only software engineering of the phone manufacturer would be able to do so.

gearh0
01-28-2006, 01:53 AM
please note i said above that i had heard it would work , i bought a non bmw timeport and plugging it in simply charges the phone, NO interaction with Idrive, useless

chowan24
01-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Firmware installs are encrypted. Most likely, only software engineering of the phone manufacturer would be able to do so.
If you could get the software it could be done. encrypted or not a software upgrade would do it. its software not and encryption. Timport software is 6358 I believe BMW is 7058....