PDA

View Full Version : Underpowering subwoofer question

CGXi
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM
I own a Alpine amp that runs at 350 watts at 2 Ohms. I recently added a 10in MTX sub that runs at 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms. I heard somewhere that underpowering a sub like this is timebomb that eventually is going to ruin either my sub or amp because the sub is asking too much of the amp. But I also heard that running the amp at a higher Hz (around 100) instead of around 40 is a solution. I dont have the money to buy an amp to adeqetly power the sub right now. Anyone have an imput?

LmtdSlip
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
You could hold off on installing the sub until you have upgraded the amp.

el_duderino
01-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I own a Alpine amp that runs at 350 watts at 2 Ohms. I recently added a 10in MTX sub that runs at 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms. I heard somewhere that underpowering a sub like this is timebomb that eventually is going to ruin either my sub or amp because the sub is asking too much of the amp.

This is total baloney.

1) A speaker's RMS rating is totally unrelated to how much power it needs. That is its efficiency or sensitivity, NOT its electrical power handling rating.

2) Underpowering a speaker only causes damage IF you are running the amp so hard that you are constantly going into "clipping" distortion. Clipping distortion sounds like total crap and you have to be deaf to not realize that it sounds like total crap.

I don't know where these myths are coming from that the RMS power handling of the speaker must match the amp RMS oputput, but somebody's been lying their tail off.

Just Bryce
01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
This is total baloney.

1) A speaker's RMS rating is totally unrelated to how much power it needs. That is its efficiency or sensitivity, NOT its electrical power handling rating.

2) Underpowering a speaker only causes damage IF you are running the amp so hard that you are constantly going into "clipping" distortion. Clipping distortion sounds like total crap and you have to be deaf to not realize that it sounds like total crap.

I don't know where these myths are coming from that the RMS power handling of the speaker must match the amp RMS oputput, but somebody's been lying their tail off.
Absolutely true, I used to run 2 10" MTX subs in a bandpass on an MTX Thunder 280 which I believe has a box rating of 140W.