PDA

View Full Version : Weird Sensation When Accelerating

CapsFanBen
01-13-2006, 09:21 AM
When I accelerate from a stop, sometimes I get a wierd sensation from what feels like the rear wheels. It's almost like the rear wheels slip a little bit before they get traction. Or, maybe it feels like the wheels are being held up by something momentarily, and then they jerk into motion because the engine has already reved. The problem seems to happen more when I at a complete stop and allow the car to creep forward (auto trans.) a little before I step on the gas. I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem with the transmission's computer because I have recently had it reprogramed. Any ideas? Thanks.

BmW745On19's
01-13-2006, 01:33 PM
My brother had a similar problem with his Jeep Grand Cherokee. It turns out the locking differential was completely locking up when it came to a complete stop and so they had to replace it I think or just reprogram. Ahhh the joys of x drive.

snagger
01-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Sounds like DSC is kicking in to stop a wheelspin. What kind of condition are your tires in?

philippek
01-14-2006, 03:15 PM
My brother had a similar problem with his Jeep Grand Cherokee. It turns out the locking differential was completely locking up when it came to a complete stop and so they had to replace it I think or just reprogram. Ahhh the joys of x drive.

No locking diffs on an 03 330xi, and no xdrive either. My guess would also be worn tires (or maybe summer tires in rain/snow/ice). DSC would kick in to limit wheelspin, and the sensation would be similar to what he's describing.

GasGuzzlin
01-15-2006, 04:17 AM
I kind of feel the same thing in my '99 740i. It almost feels like there is resistance when I am taking off from a stand still. If you've ever driven on a flat without knowing it, that's the sensation I get. It feels a little sluggish until I get going. I don't drive her hard though and rarely use the "manual" shift. IS IT THE TRANNY GOING OUT?????

CapsFanBen
01-16-2006, 01:20 AM
actually the tires are brand new...the problem does not seem to happen when i am in manual mode...any ideas?

CapsFanBen
01-16-2006, 10:59 AM
also, i dont seem to get the problem when i put the car into the fake manual mode...any ideas?

CapsFanBen
01-16-2006, 10:59 AM
also, i dont seem to get the problem when i put the car into the fake manual mode...and, i have had the transmission reprogramed recently...any ideas?

GasGuzzlin
01-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I wonder if it's the bearings.....I recently found out that my bearings need replaced on the rear and I have noticed that at times I can sit at a red light and take my foot off the break with no idle movement forward. Is this normal???:confused :confused: