PDA

View Full Version : Free maintenance program being discontinued???

kc5
01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm sure you've heard the rumor that BMW is considering discontinuing the free maintenance program. If they do, I'll bet that recommended fluid change intervals will revert to where they were prior to the free maintenance program. I've never believed in lifetime fluids; however, I'll believe in them when they give a lifetime warranty.

I did a brief search but did find where anyone had already discussed this.

gotrojan
01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
naah not possible...RUMOUR!!!

LDV330i
01-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm sure you've heard the rumor that BMW is considering discontinuing the free maintenance program. If they do, I'll bet that recommended fluid change intervals will revert to where they were prior to the free maintenance program. I've never believed in lifetime fluids; however, I'll believe in them when they give a lifetime warranty.

I did a brief search but did find where anyone had already discussed this.The BMW maintenance intervals are not influenced by the free maintenance program. Check out the recommended intervals for other car manufacturers (that recommend synthetic oil) like Acura that doe not provide free maintenance and you will see that BMW is in the ballpark.

chuck92103
01-13-2006, 03:44 PM

BMW must keep the program or lower the cost of the vehicles. The program ensure leased cars are properly maintained. Without the program, CPO program would be degraded.

hawk123
01-13-2006, 04:35 PM

Cannot be true since they continue advertising ( any major newspaper/magazine) the fact that they offer the maintainence programs not as a benefit, but because they have confidence in their products.

Rowag
01-13-2006, 07:29 PM

There are no signs of this. In fact, the opposite is prevelant:

1. The program has been EXTENDED (from 3 year/36k to 4 year/50k) in recent years.

2. The BMW internal memo discussing the recent ~1% MSRP price-hike specifically cites one of the reasons as being the free maintenance program.

3. The competition is doing it.

kc5
01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
I first heard about it from Auto Spies. Here's what they said:

Nasty rumor flying around about BMW free maintenance program
12/14/2005

One of the key differentiators of buying a BMW lately is that free scheduled maintenance is included with the purchase for four years or 50,000 miles.

Now, there is a rumor floating around that BMW is going to discontinue the program just like Mercedes-Benz did.

Has anyone else heard this rumor and can it be substantiated?

Uncle Fester
01-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I first heard about it from Auto Spies. Here's what they said:

Nasty rumor flying around about BMW free maintenance program
12/14/2005

One of the key differentiators of buying a BMW lately is that free scheduled maintenance is included with the purchase for four years or 50,000 miles.

Now, there is a rumor floating around that BMW is going to discontinue the program just like Mercedes-Benz did.

Has anyone else heard this rumor and can it be substantiated?
Load of bollocks. It's one of BMW's key marketing differentiators.

schley
01-13-2006, 10:16 PM
3. The competition is doing it.

This article states the opposite although MB did have a program replicating BMW's till last year.http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0507/27/F01-260063.htm

Pinecone
01-13-2006, 10:31 PM
BMW service interval changes corresponded to the change to synthetic fluids, NOT to the offering of free maintenance.

kc5
01-14-2006, 10:28 AM
BMW service interval changes corresponded to the change to synthetic fluids, NOT to the offering of free maintenance.
Thanks for clarifying that, Pinecone. There's no doubt that synthetic oils allow longer interval changes. However, no way would I rely on the service indicator lights (up to 15K miles) to change the motor oil on a BMW engine; I've heard too many stories of sludge problems when waiting that long between oil changes.

When I mentioned lifetime fluids in my initial post, I failed to say that I was referring to transmission and differential fluids. No mechanic that I've ever heard believes in such lifetime fluids.

philippek
01-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Won't happen.

Ever.

milobloom242
01-14-2006, 11:35 AM
BMW must keep the program or lower the cost of the vehicles. The program ensure leased cars are properly maintained. Without the program, CPO program would be degraded.

Didn't Mercedes discontinue their maintenance program last year? Wonder if its hurting their pre-owned program and resale values. Not sure if it's hurting sales of new cars either :dunno:

milobloom242
01-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Cannot be true since they continue advertising ( any major newspaper/magazine) the fact that they offer the maintainence programs not as a benefit, but because they have confidence in their products.

Minor thread interruption: Just wanted to say - the pic in your sig is very cool :thumbup:

Now back to your thread!

LA X3
01-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Can you say "echo chamber"?

When that rumor came around here, it came via a 'fester who heard it from a MBZ salesman. (Just the source for good BMW information, eh?) So, did Autospies pick up the rumor here? Or did the MBZ salesman pick it up from Autospies?

In the absence of anything resembling a fact, I'd have to dismiss this one.

Pinecone
01-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Pinecone. There's no doubt that synthetic oils allow longer interval changes. However, no way would I rely on the service indicator lights (up to 15K miles) to change the motor oil on a BMW engine; I've heard too many stories of sludge problems when waiting that long between oil changes.

When I mentioned lifetime fluids in my initial post, I failed to say that I was referring to transmission and differential fluids. No mechanic that I've ever heard believes in such lifetime fluids.

Actually BMW says change is based on service indicator, which STARTS at 15,525 miles. And counts down based on usage, NOT on pure mileage. People have had the service indicator count down in as little as 8K miles.

ALso BMW requires an annual oil change, if you don't drive enough miles to count down the service indicator.

Can you document sludge buildup with annual (at least) oil changes and synthetic oils?

I agree, that "lifetime" for tranny an diff is stretching things.

BoyScout
01-16-2006, 09:23 AM
What I had heard from my contact at the dealer is that the standard 4yr/50,000mi maintenence will still be around, but they will be doing away with the option to extend it to 6yr/100,000mi.

kc5
01-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Can you document sludge buildup with annual (at least) oil changes and synthetic oils?
No, I can't personally document sludge buildup (fortunately), but my indy BMW mechanic says he's seen it when the oil is not changed frequently enough, even with synthetic oil; but who knows, perhaps the cause was not entirely related to infrequent oil changes. I change my oil once a year at around 8K miles, during which time I use only 2 or 3 green indicator lights.

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oils. I use Amsoil throughout in my Toyota S-Runner.

wwb4
01-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Didn't Mercedes discontinue their maintenance program last year? Wonder if its hurting their pre-owned program and resale values. Not sure if it's hurting sales of new cars either :dunno:

Mercedes started their maintenance program to "try" and be competitive with BMW's, however it was "never" as thorough and cost Mercedes a great deal of money, therefore Mercedes chose to end it. As for hurting their pre-owned and resale values, I really can't speak in regards to this.

Pinecone
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
No, I can't personally document sludge buildup (fortunately), but my indy BMW mechanic says he's seen it when the oil is not changed frequently enough, even with synthetic oil; but who knows, perhaps the cause was not entirely related to infrequent oil changes. I change my oil once a year at around 8K miles, during which time I use only 2 or 3 green indicator lights.

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oils. I use Amsoil throughout in my Toyota S-Runner.

Realize that for some owners, not often means waiting for the red light to turn redder, for several months to a year or more. :)