PDA

View Full Version : Terry Kennedy ?? your PM box is full

01silber
01-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Terry, If i remember right you are a ibus pro. Im looking into adding the low tire pressure system from a z8 to my car a z3.
I seem to have all the sensors factory installed i.e wheel speed,dsc etc. Here is my question
On the z8 there is a rdw module(tire pressure module) that does all the thinking from the info it gets from the sensors, one of the wires is suppose to go the the kbus to light up hte dash warning light, my car does not have a kbus but rather a ibus, in your opinon would this wire beable to trigger a idiot light on a E36 cluster ? the z8 has a idiot light aswell and im trying to get the schematics for it but Im not sure what actually lights up the dash idiot light, does the kbus give a signal to the cluster or would you guess it actually lights up the light on its own
please let me know what you think
max

Terry Kennedy
02-15-2006, 04:49 AM
Terry, If i remember right you are a ibus pro. Im looking into adding the low tire pressure system from a z8 to my car a z3.
I seem to have all the sensors factory installed i.e wheel speed,dsc etc. Here is my question
On the z8 there is a rdw module(tire pressure module) that does all the thinking from the info it gets from the sensors, one of the wires is suppose to go the the kbus to light up hte dash warning light, my car does not have a kbus but rather a ibus, in your opinon would this wire beable to trigger a idiot light on a E36 cluster ? the z8 has a idiot light aswell and im trying to get the schematics for it but Im not sure what actually lights up the dash idiot light, does the kbus give a signal to the cluster or would you guess it actually lights up the light on its own
please let me know what you think
max
Sorry for the delay in responding. Anyone wanting to contact me privately should use email (terry+bf4@tmk.com) rather than the PM function. The last time I looked, it wasn't possible to disable the PM function, so I just keep my inbox full. I just looked again and there's now a disable PM option, which I just selected.

In any event, on the E46 the ibus serves both the ibus and kbus functions, instead of being split. So you can address any kbus device (like the climate control) from the ibus and get it to work.

On the other hand, I don't know if the cluster will correctly process and display a tire pressure monitor message. If I get the garage dug out from the snow I suppose I could go try it with the ibus emulator sending the message.

I expect the major issue will be getting the module coded (you'd be surprised at the number of parts that need coding - on the E46, the climate control panel is non-functional - displaying "NC" for Not Coded - until coding is complete. A previously-coded module probably has a better chance of working.

There are 2 tire pressure monitoring systems - the indirect one which uses the ABS sensors to compare wheel rotation speed, and a stand-alone one that uses individual radio transmitters mounted in each wheel flange.

01silber
02-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Well that is very interesting , So basically there is a good chance the unit that uses a signal from the abs would work fine on a z3 with only ibus, its just getting it to illimunate the dash light that might be tricky?
Well if you get bored and want to try the emulater out let me know
thanks again
max