PDA

View Full Version : Suspension maintenance

GasGuzzlin
01-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I was recently told by a BMW cert. mechanics' shop that I need to have my bearings repacked and all sorts of other axle stuff that I don't remember. It's about $1300 worth of work that I just can't afford right now. I can hear a slight knocking in one of the front wheels whenever I hit a small bump and one of my tires are wearing uneven in the rear. How long can I drive like this until the work just has to be done??? I don't want to damage anything else more than the tire wear. What can I do???

Pinecone
01-13-2006, 11:32 PM
You don't repack BMW bearings, you replace them. Front bearings are about $70 a side.

GasGuzzlin
01-15-2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the response. So does my driving on them as it is now risk any further unseen damage????? I want to get this work done, but I don't have the money to do it right now. Any advice?

Pinecone
01-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Bearing are easy to check. Grab the wheel near the top and near the bottom and try to shake it. If it moves, the bearings are in need of replacement. Any autocrosser that has done tech can show yo uhow to do this.

GasGuzzlin
01-15-2006, 05:18 PM
yes, I've done this. The wheels have a considerable amount of play in them. My question is how long can I drive on them worn out without doing any damage to anything else? I can also hear it in the front too. Only damage I am seeing is uneven wear to the tires so far.

Pinecone
01-16-2006, 12:10 AM
You can also cause uneven wear to brake pads and rotors. As to how long? It depends on how far gone they are. But repacking will do nothing, they have to be changed.

If it were my car, I would get them changed RIGHT NOW. You have no idea how shot they are.