PDA

View Full Version : Help with purchasing a BMW

Wildo2003
01-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm in the market for a manual transmission car and I love BMWs, so I've decided I want one. My budget is ~$10,000. Ideally I was looking at 328, but maybe I'd have to get a cheaper 325. I have several concerns though..

Since it's gunna be a 90's (I don't want pre-95') BMW, it's going to have high miles on it. So instead of looking for ones with lower miles where the owners are asking for more than it's worth, I was thinking I'd include cars that have over 100,000 in my search. This scares me because of the fact it'll be an old car with a lot of miles on it to boot.

Now, I don't know much about cars in general, but I know it's going to be important to see the owners' service records to know if they've done their oil & maintenance on time. What else is there, in particular, that I should look for on their cars to see if/when they've replaced them. Someone said cooling system in another post, and I need to have a good list of questions to ask these people on what's been done to their cars since they've owned them. I really don't want to spend money on a car that isn't totally worth it, and totally awesome.

What do you guys think, should I also keep posting various cars that I think might be alright for your opinions? I'm very excited for becoming a BMW owner, but I want a good one!

Bart001
01-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Well one recommendation is to get any car you want to buy inspected before you buy it. There are several shops in Orange County that are members of the International Association of Independent BMW Service Professionals. Any of those shops should be able to do a pre-purchase inspection for . . oh I'm not sure . . . under $200 I think. Of course they won't be tearing down the motor or transmission for that price, but you'll learn a lot and probably be able to make a decision based on that.

www.iaibmwsp.com I think is the website. Bullet is one such shop in Orange County, I know.