PDA

View Full Version : E36 M3/4, Pilot Sport 2 or ContiSport Contact 2?

SleepRM3
01-14-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm deliberating between the Conti 2 and PS2 in 235/40-17 (I plan to run 8.5 x 17 M Double Spoke IIs all around).

For street driving (no track/autocross)--Continental Sport Contact 2. At $148 each I don't know of another tire that's cheaper and performs better wet/dry (according to the reviews and opinions)? If there is please tell me.

For a combination of street driving, autocross, and drivers schools--Michelin Pilot Sport 2. At $194 each, the Michs are pricey. I've read mostly positive feedback on these tires, except for M3Pete's review (perhaps a little too much understeer, Mr Pete?).

If I could commit to how I'd use the M3/4, the choice would be easy--Continental Sport Contact 2? But come summer time, it's hard to resist "motorsportin'".

Yet I'm not sure if I want to do ANY motorsports driving with my E36 M3/4. It seems this car is quite needy with preparation for serious track lapping (-3.5 degrees camber, suspension mods, chassis reinforcements, etc.).

Any pundits out there that can help out with a decision? I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts.

For a little background info--I've had my '97 E36 M3/4 since July 2004, and have never tracked or autocrossed it. It's mostly stock except for Dinan airbox and exhaust. Inspection II has been done recently. Total mileage is 65,500. This spring I plan to replace the original brakes, add a Shark Injector, convert to M50 intake plennum, and replace the crappy ASX Kumho tires.

My motorsport driving experience is extensive--since May 1996 (drivers school and autocross). I've been an instructor for BMW CCA (Badger Bimmers), and PCA (Mid Ohio Region, Central Indiana Region), and SVTOA since 2001. I've been on hiatus from motorsports since Oct 2004.

My last car was a 1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 Twin Turbo heavily modified to make 380 rwhp, 15 psi, 7000 rpm. I ran at the front in A/I group during DEs. The car was prepped as open lapping/daily driver. The suspension mods on that car were springs and sways with only -2 degrees camber (no camber plates needed). I sold the car in Oct 2004 b/c the Mazda proved too delicate (installed 3 motors during my 9-year tenure with it).

thilton59
01-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Ah the wonders of the rotary. Are you sure the 8.5s fill fit in the front? I don't know about the offset on those, but on the contour wheels the 8.5's rub on the front. Just something to look into if you havent already. I liked my PS2's, but I'm you're not doing any auto crosses or anything of that nayure then why not go with something cheap with a 400 tread wear, or something like that.

SleepRM3
01-14-2006, 09:13 PM
The stock 8.5s +41 offset need a 5-mm spacer with 245/40-17. Supposedly 235/40-17 doesn't rub WITHOUT spacers--if the 235/40-17 is not a wide 235/40-17 like the Conti or Bridgetsone S03/RE050A. I will be installing 5-mm spacers (with longer bolts) nonetheless. The PZero Neros look pretty good, but I'd like to keep the tire weight down to 22 to 23 lbs b/c the M Double Spoke II 8.5 weighs 23.4 lbs (on a UPS scale). The Conti in 245/40-17 is $154 (Tire Rack), so I may go with these (UTQG of 280). Weight is 22 lbs (W-rated). Thanks for the reply BTW.Ah the wonders of the rotary. Are you sure the 8.5s fill fit in the front? I don't know about the offset on those, but on the contour wheels the 8.5's rub on the front. Just something to look into if you havent already. I liked my PS2's, but I'm you're not doing any auto crosses or anything of that nayure then why not go with something cheap with a 400 tread wear, or something like that.

whitem3/4
01-22-2006, 10:06 AM
I have the Michelin PS/2's and love them in the wet or dry. They are my daily driver tires 235/40/17 front & back on 17x8's. Dont know anything about the conti's. I've also driven on tracks on my ps2's and love them, very good grip for a street tire.

My $0.02

GrFa
02-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I put 22k miles on a set on my 97 M3/4. I thought they were great. I previously had the regular ContiSports on it before, and MXX3s on my 95 M3. I really thought the CS2s were great and I never had a set of Continentals that I didn't like. The only mods I did to the suspension were new shocks and a BMW Motorsport x-brace. The CS2s seemed to get better with age. With 10k miles they felt better then 2k, maybe because of a stickier tread as it wears. With 22k miles when I traded the car they were almost down to the wear bars. So they are probably good for 25k miles.
They were nice in town or maintaining 100mph on the highway. The response was good, the ride was quiet even as they wore. I confidently felt I could hold my car 5 inches from the the center line around a fast sweeper. The only thing I noticed is that in the cold they get rock hard, harder than the original ContiSports did. So if you ever plan on driving on them in the cold or snow, I would maybe look into something else. I feel like the ContiSport2s could go for a few DEs or autox too. As for me, I always ran snow tires in the winter. I am looking at tires for my 528i and am looking at the CS2s, PS2s, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, and the Goodyear F1 GSD3. You might want to look into them too.