PDA

View Full Version : Question about water repellent.

Patrick
01-15-2002, 09:49 AM
When I was in the US last month, I bought a product from Schucks called "Rain Slick". Not hard to imagine that a product like this would be a big seller in Seattle. :D Sorry Rip! As you know, people in Seattle don't tan, they rust.

Anyway, I have used "Rain X" on glass in the past, but I noticed that it wreaked havoc with my windshield wipers after awhile. Maybe because it was gasoline based.

"Rain Slick" however, is silicone based, and "can only be removed with specially formulated glass stripper".

I was just wondering if anyone has had an experience with stuff like this and if there is any noteworthy advice - since I haven't applied it yet!

I hope that Al won't tell me to Zaino the glass ... ;)

Patrick

ALEX325i
01-15-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 320d

I hope that Al won't tell me to Zaino the glass ... ;)

Patrick

I just ordered Z-12 actually...:thumb:

Guest84
01-15-2002, 10:00 AM
Don't know about rain slick, but rain-x SUCKS! Long after it wears off, it leaves a residue on the windshield which is terrible. I've gone back to premium windshield cleaner from Griots, and I clean the wiper blades with rubbing alcohol whenever I wash the car (once a week).

Not only do we rust, but we have moss under our arms and webbed feet (BTW, 3 straight days of sunshine so far..cloudy now, but sunny this after noon!)

Patrick
01-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Not only do we rust, but we have moss under our arms and webbed feet (BTW, 3 straight days of sunshine so far..cloudy now, but sunny this after noon!)

Hmm, sunny! That probably means that my Mom is in a good mood. I better give her a call! :p Her Grandson's teeth just showed up!

I miss Seattle in the sunshine ... actually, I miss the sun. Period. It got dark here today at 1620h. :mad:

Anyway, I will try the rubbing alcohol trick. I think that I will apply the Rain Slick on the rear gate glass and just see what happens.

Patrick

Radfahrer
01-21-2002, 08:42 PM
Sunny in the Puget Sound?! 300 miles south it snowed and rained all day in Eugene.

Guest84
01-22-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Radfahrer
Sunny in the Puget Sound?! 300 miles south it snowed and rained all day in Eugene.

Was sunny 1/12--1/15 This was an old post. :) Back to our normal rain. Had snow in the foothills, didn't stick at my house though.

in_d_haus
01-22-2002, 11:55 AM
Can't agree with Rip on this one, I love rain-X as do most members of the club up here.

I apply it monthly to all my cars. No experience with rain slick. Anything that needs a glass stripped would worry me.

After washing the car I use Griots glass polish, then glass cleaner, then Rain-X.

Glass is so clear it doesn't even look like it's there. I find I use my wipers less because the water just rolls off. So much for intermittent wipers anymore.

Guest84
01-22-2002, 12:53 PM
From my experience (and I found out it was just not me, most on Autopia agree) RainX will cause smearing and windshield wiper chatter. It has dimethal silicone resin which will build up over time. It will also degrade your windshield wipers quickly.

AquaPel is a flurotelamer resin. PPG makes AquaPel and is hard to find. It was tested by Ford and DCX and tests proved the product to be superior to all dimethal products(Rain-X).

About the only thing that will remove Rain-X from your windshield is lighter fluid. Try and it you'll see how much build up it creates, you'll see what I mean.

(Shrugs) Guess it all depends if your happy with it...I was not happy long term with Rain-X.

GTI
01-22-2002, 02:12 PM
I have to agree with Rip again. Afterall I spent half of my forum time on Autopia and the other half here. Based on the cases reported I have avoided Rain-X.

I'm not Al but I will Z2 my glass too. No Z1/Zfx needed. Lots of people have good results with that too.
Actually we BMW/MB owners are blessed with the best treated windows on the market. Stock BMW windshield has about the same effect as a Honda treated with Rain-x. I have driven MB before and it was the same thing.

Guest84
01-22-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by GTI

Actually we BMW/MB owners are blessed with the best treated windows on the market. Stock BMW windshield has about the same effect as a Honda treated with Rain-x. I have driven MB before and it was the same thing.

Ah ha! Now theres a nugget...I used Rain-X only on our SUV, and it sucked. Rain-X never touched my BMW. Now, if the stock BMW windshield is indeed treated, then thats probably why In-d-haus has gotten different results than I have.

GTI
01-22-2002, 02:53 PM
Rip:
I have no technical information about how the windows are actually treated/etc. Just what I have observed after owning Acura/Toyota/MB and now the 330i.
The stock/untouched BMW/MB glass are miles better than the Honda/Toyota glass that I have to think they are treated.

in_d_haus
01-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Well, I have not been surfing the web on this but I've been using it (Rain-X) on my cars for many many years. Ya go with what works for you I guess.

It works for me.

PA330i
01-23-2002, 12:04 PM
I don't like Rain-X, but I would also be afraid of applying anything that had to be stripped...especially if I was unfamiliar with the quality of the product. I find that I don't really need either if I polish my windshield regularly...this removes all the road contaminants that render windshield wipers less effective.

GTI
01-23-2002, 04:45 PM
You may find this information very interesting.
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=5705

sjs
01-23-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort

Was sunny 1/12--1/15 This was an old post. :) Back to our normal rain. Had snow in the foothills, didn't stick at my house though.

That is one twelve to one fifteen right:D I think I was there that
three minutes.