PDA

View Full Version : Phone Help

lvanness
01-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I recently bought a 2004 745i. I love the car, but the phone is frustrating. I wanted to change it to BT, but the dealer told me it cost $1000. Instead of getting BT I decided to just get a V60 phone from motorola. At the dealer they told me that they no longer sold them, so I got a v60 phone from Tracfone prepaid. The fone works well and fits perfectly into the cradle in the center unit of the car, but on the idrive display it just says Reading Data, and nothing happens. Can anyone help me?

chuck92103
01-14-2006, 05:32 PM
You need only post your question once. Not on multiple boards.

Does your car have Blue Tooth? Your post states it was a $1000 option. Or was it the phone that was $1000, and Blue Tooth is installed.

Also, what is a V60, a with what carrier?

lvanness
01-14-2006, 07:36 PM
The car does not have blue tooth. It is a tracfone v60. I was told at my dealer that any v60 would work. It fits in the cradle and it charges, but the car just says "Reading Data"

chuck92103
01-14-2006, 07:38 PM
You got me. If the car does not have Blue Tooth it should not be trying to read data.

Does you car have BMW Assist?

crash8168
01-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I recently bought a 2004 745i. I love the car, but the phone is frustrating. I wanted to change it to BT, but the dealer told me it cost $1000. Instead of getting BT I decided to just get a V60 phone from motorola. At the dealer they told me that they no longer sold them, so I got a v60 phone from Tracfone prepaid. The fone works well and fits perfectly into the cradle in the center unit of the car, but on the idrive display it just says Reading Data, and nothing happens. Can anyone help me?
I dont think you will get it to work properly, the software will probably be different from the bmw version of the phone.

lvanness
01-14-2006, 08:06 PM
The car does have BMW Assist. The dealer told me that any v60 would work with the cradle, but not every v60 will exchange the phone book data, but they should all work with the handsfree system.

triple_sissy
01-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Didn't the v60 phone require BMW firmare just like CPT8000 did?

lvanness
01-14-2006, 09:29 PM
From what I heard, you need the v60 with the BMW firmware if you want to use all of the features, like the phone book intergration and everything. I heard that you can you any v60 if you just want to use the handsfree. Have any of you heard anything else?

kd2789mo
01-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Ivanness,

That is correct, any v60 will work with the hands free, but only BMW branded (different firmware version specific to BMW) will integrate your phone book with iDrive.

Your BMW dealership should know, the ECU in your car (presuming it has never been) must be programmed by BMW to recognize the phone. This, for both hands-free operation, which your generic v60 can do, and for iDrive integration, for BMW firmware v60's.

To find out if your ECU has been programmed, with the phone powered on and in the cradle, press the voice command button on your steering wheel, and say, "phone off."
If the system turns off the phone, the ECU is programmed.

You can also tell if the ECU is programmed, if you remove the phone from the cradle, and with the vehicle running, the top status bar in iDrive says, "Portable Phone?"

lvanness
01-14-2006, 10:13 PM
When I have the phone plugged in it doesn't even work with the handfree. The idrive screen says "Reading Data" at the top, but never changes. When I take the phone out it says "Phone Connected?"

kd2789mo
01-14-2006, 10:36 PM
When I have the phone plugged in it doesn't even work with the handfree. The idrive screen says "Reading Data" at the top, but never changes. When I take the phone out it says "Phone Connected?"
With the phone powered on, and in the cradle (says "reading data") have you driven the car for 20-30 minutes?
If you have, and the status bar says "reading data" with the phone in the cradle, and says, "phone connected?" with the phone out of the cradle, then the ECU is programmed to recognize a hands-free phone.

Another means of recognition is to turn the car off, and power the phone off. Insert the powered off phone in the cradle, then insert the keyfob, and press the start button to start the car. See if the system turns on the phone. If the ECU is programmed correctly, it will turn on the phone.

The issue could either be a problem with the phone itself, of a car software issue.