PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a BMW

Wildo2003
01-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Alright, so I've been scrounging autotrader, craigslist, cars.com, and forums. I can't find what I'm looking for, where else should I look?

I was thinking about like.. auctions, does anybody know of any in southern california that I could go to in hopes of finding a car?

Parrothead
01-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Call a dealer. You might want a CPO anyway.

wwb4
01-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Alright, so I've been scrounging autotrader, craigslist, cars.com, and forums. I can't find what I'm looking for, where else should I look?

I was thinking about like.. auctions, does anybody know of any in southern california that I could go to in hopes of finding a car?

You may also want to try:

www.autoextra.com
www.classyauto.com

Hope this helps. Wish you the best of luck in your searches. Good luck. :thumbup:

Wildo2003
01-15-2006, 02:18 PM
The thing is, I have a limited budget as well. I have approximately $10,000 to spend, and I want a manual 328 or 325 that's 1995 or newer. I know this is feasible, but I'm having a very hard time finding one that's a "good" car for a "good" price.

I've been looking at Edmund's TMV to base my decision on "good price." Although most sellers are asking $2000 more than the TMV.

Malibubimmer
01-15-2006, 02:29 PM
The thing is, I have a limited budget as well. I have approximately $10,000 to spend, and I want a manual 328 or 325 that's 1995 or newer. I know this is feasible, but I'm having a very hard time finding one that's a "good" car for a "good" price.

I've been looking at Edmund's TMV to base my decision on "good price." Although most sellers are asking $2000 more than the TMV.
You live in Southern California where there are more BMWs by sheer numbers than anywhere else in the USA. You should look everywhere for one. Newspapers, Internet, Edmunds. Keep your eyes and ears open. Also check in the appropriate section of this Board. The best car you could buy would be one from one of the BMW fanatics who posts here (and would hate to be slagged if the car he sold you turned out to be a lemon).

milobloom242
01-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Check local independent BMW mechanics. Sometimes they allow customers to put up little adverts of their cars for sale.

There's always eBay too.

Malibubimmer
01-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Check local independent BMW mechanics. Sometimes they allow customers to put up little adverts of their cars for sale.

There's always eBay too.
Be careful on eBay. It's like the effing wild west. And, before you buy anything, make sure you have it inspected by someone trustworthy. It would be best if you saw it first, but that may not be possible.

LA X3
01-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Most sellers think their car is worth more than it is. Keep looking, offer your fair price, and make sure people have your number. Call them back in a couple weeks and see if the car has sold. It is hard to sell a stick.

Chris90
01-15-2006, 03:19 PM
For older BMWs, you're better off using E46fanatics and bimmerforums, especially the latter, there are tons of E36s on there.

I sold my '95 325i sport (120k miles) for $4500 recently - with $10k you can get a really nice E36.

Wildo2003
01-15-2006, 04:39 PM
For older BMWs, you're better off using E46fanatics and bimmerforums, especially the latter, there are tons of E36s on there.

I sold my '95 325i sport (120k miles) for $4500 recently - with $10k you can get a really nice E36.

God I hope so. I'm getting kind of frustrated at the lack of anything presenting itself through all my searches.

Another thing that's been helping me oh so greatly is my current car, a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee that just scared the crap out of me on the way home from work yesterday on the freeway. I'm driving along, and all of a sudden the car starts VIOLENTLY shaking, maybe like a violent flat tire or an earthquake or something. So I immediately pull over and look her up and down. I can't see anything wrong with the tires or axles, my dad thinks it might be one of the wheel bearings. I had recently gotten it in an accident where the front axle needed to be replaced, man the car is such a piece of crap. Well, I mean, it's been chugging along and I never expeted the damn thing to last 238,000 miles. But I'm getting tired of fixing it, and I want my BMW damnit! So now I have to fix this hunk just to be able to get around and go to school/work, and I guess drive up to Hollywood where most of the BMWs I've found are at.

Hopefully I can find something worthy soon, wish me luck guys.

hockeynut
01-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Classfied section of ROUNDEL, the mag of the BMW CCA (car club).

Wildo2003
01-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Just went through the classified section. Nothin' that really looks like what I'd want. There was one seller with a '95 325is with a new engine, transmission, and $9000 in performance parts. I want a daily driver, something all tuned up like that probably wouldn't be a good daily driver right? Even if I could get him to a reasonable price, probably should keep looking eh?

e60lover
01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
:thumbup: Good luck on finding your new bimmer!!! I know you will enjoy it. ;)

As some people have suggested BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program because it is a really good program. Also you might want to check out autos.yahoo.com because it's easy to navigate and has full size pictures aswell.

Good Luck!!! :)

L Seca
01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
:thumbup: As some people have suggested BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program because it is a really good program.
If you are able to find a CPO car that you like and that fits your budget, keep in mind that they come with a 2-year partial warranty. And if you have been a BMW CCA member for at least a year, you also get a $500 rebate from BMW.

Bart001
01-17-2006, 03:24 PM

This is what I was thinking, too. In So. Cal. there are quite a few shops who are members of the International Association of Independent BMW Service Professionals. Check in with all of those shops and see if they know of any cars for sale that meet your requirements. Those shops are almost always happy to help out their good customers that way!