PDA

View Full Version : 735i too good to be true?

squidink
01-16-2006, 02:28 AM
I am thinking of buying a cheap 1983 735i. I have not owned a BMW before, but often as a passenger have envied the BMW driver. This car sounds good over the phone, clean body, interior, "mechanically A1". But the seller says he knows little about cars "I bought it for my daughter and it's too big," Can anyone give me some hints, what to look out for, when inspecting this car? thanks in advance ,all.

hawk2100n
01-16-2006, 03:44 PM
A few things that you should look for when buying any older used car are as follows, What is your initial impression of the car. Did the seller take the time to detail the car. Is there any immediately visible rust. Check for rust at the bottom of the doors, at the bottom of the fenders and at panel seams. When the car starts, listen to the starter. Does it grind, and does the car start quickly and easily or does it take repeated revolutions. Look under the hood and see how clean it is. Any 1983 car is going to look dirty under there, but does it look like maintence has been performed on the car. Check the hoses and belts for their condition and to makeshure that they have some life left in them. Check the tires to make shure that the tires are in good shape and properly inflated. Ask if the owner has a maintence record. When you drive the car, does it make any wierd sounds or blow any smoke. Also, does the handling feel excessively loose or are the brakes mushy. These things will tell you a lot about the car, and the maintence performed on it.

squidink
01-16-2006, 03:54 PM
thanks Hawk for those hints. I was also wondering if there's anything peculiar to the 735i that i should look out for. I read somewhere the timing chain needs replacement at 100,000 kms, anyone know if that's true?

hockeynut
01-16-2006, 05:12 PM
thanks Hawk for those hints. I was also wondering if there's anything peculiar to the 735i that i should look out for. I read somewhere the timing chain needs replacement at 100,000 kms, anyone know if that's true?

I believe that a used 7 series, while inexpensive to purchase, is VERY expensive to maintain. I recall a letter in Roundel from a guy who was going to buy a 7er for $6k that looks to be mint, and he was told to expect to drop at least that much in the first few months.

Might want to ask in the 7 series forums from those who have one...

*Paul
01-16-2006, 08:49 PM
The M30 (engine) has issues with cam lubrication screws loosening and causing faster cam wear.

akhbhaat
01-16-2006, 08:52 PM
I don't even want to tell you how much it used to cost to keep our "mint" (it really was mint, cosmetically) E32 on the road. Then again, the particular model you're looking at came a couple years before the electronically complex E32...

squidink
01-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Well i bought it. It seems to run well, it's a heavy car and a bit sluggish but comfortable. the interior is ok, engine bay is clean, there is no rust. sunroof, electric seats etc work fine, though the fan blower makes a godawful noise as if it's destroying itself; I won't use it. Then again i didn't expect the aircon to work and for around US$1200 i figure it's a fair gamble. It's a good looking car, indigo colour, and I feel at ease driving it. Wish me luck! Thanks all for your thoughts.

ps I am told this car doesn't have rubber timing belts, it has a timing chain that should not require replacement providing the tensioner and oil around it are ok. hope this's true.

squidink
01-17-2006, 01:22 AM
pps can anyone tell this novice which engine drives the 1983 735i?

squidink
01-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Does anyone know if the 1983 735i was released anywhere except Australia? Have been trawling the web and can find only a couple of mentions of this car.

tierfreund
01-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Europe. Popular Version actually of the 83 7series

squidink
01-17-2006, 03:03 AM
Yeah thanks Tfreud, i checked out the VIN.
Seems the engine is an M30. Seems common, from '79 thru '86. Hopefully that's common enough to get parts for. Now it's gotten dark I notice switches like the interior lights etc are very dodgy. In fact all the interior electrics/electronics work intermittently. Radio cuts in and out. Tacho too. I dont' mind . . . that much. :eek:

squidink
01-17-2006, 05:59 AM
I don't even want to tell you how much it used to cost to keep our "mint" (it really was mint, cosmetically) E32 on the road. Then again, the particular model you're looking at came a couple years before the electronically complex E32...

yeah i think it's an E23, far from mint, but looks OK