PDA

View Full Version : Replacing stereo looses Bluetooth?

kingid
01-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Hi,

Apologies if this has come up before, but I couldn't find anything in the forums.

I've got a 2005 E46 (320D) with the Business RDS CD player. For various reasons (including the MP3 side not displaying ID3 Tags!), I want to replace this unit with an aftermarket unit, perhaps from Kenwood.

However, I've also got the factory fit BMW bluetooth integration. Although the full phonebook integration doesn't work with my 'phone (a Treo 650), the steering wheel controls do work for answering calls.

My question is, if I replace the Business RDS CD player with an aftermarket unit, will the steering wheel controls still work (i.e. music muted whilst on a call, and 'phone audio through the car speakers).

Has anybody managed to do this with their E46?

Technic
01-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Hi,

Apologies if this has come up before, but I couldn't find anything in the forums.

I've got a 2005 E46 (320D) with the Business RDS CD player. For various reasons (including the MP3 side not displaying ID3 Tags!), I want to replace this unit with an aftermarket unit, perhaps from Kenwood.

However, I've also got the factory fit BMW bluetooth integration. Although the full phonebook integration doesn't work with my 'phone (a Treo 650), the steering wheel controls do work for answering calls.

My question is, if I replace the Business RDS CD player with an aftermarket unit, will the steering wheel controls still work (i.e. music muted whilst on a call, and 'phone audio through the car speakers).

Has anybody managed to do this with their E46?

The OEM HU manages the audio from the BT ULF module and also have a Telephone and a Mute line wired into it. So replacing your OEM HU with an aftermarket unit will take out all the main features of your OEM Bluetooth features: no more caller ID, the mute will not work and you will not hear the person calling you.

Now, I guess that you can take the ULF audio (it is mono, two wires) and modify somehow your aftermarket unit to manage this audio thru the new unit and also take the OEM mute line and adapt it to mute your new unit too if it have a mute line input. All of this will require wiring and interface work in your aftermarket unit, but no modification will have your Caller ID back in your screen thus no need to use the steering wheel buttons but only the end/initiate call button.

How the OEM Bluetooth will react to the missing OEM HU, I don't know. :dunno:

el_duderino
01-17-2006, 10:24 AM
If you replace it with a new Kenwood that is compatible with their External Bluetooth HF widget announced at CES, then you can sell your ULF module to someone else.