PDA

View Full Version : I've got a 525iT loaner


bk3104
09-27-2002, 04:57 AM
What a great ride in this car. Your 5-series(I own a Z3) are solid as a rock. Feels like they are made out of solid granite. Anyway, I do have a question or two here.

Although I know cupholders are not important for "real" drivers, I do want a good one for my large coffee in the morning. These in the 5-series are not really that great. Are there modifications available for better one's?

How the heck do you shut off the rear wiper? ;-) The loaner didn't come with a manual and I can't make out the hyrgliphics on the stalk to figure it out.

I can sure see why people love these cars so much now that I've actually driven one.

johnlew
09-27-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by bk3104
What a great ride in this car. Your 5-series(I own a Z3) are solid as a rock. Feels like they are made out of solid granite. Anyway, I do have a question or two here.

Although I know cupholders are not important for "real" drivers, I do want a good one for my large coffee in the morning. These in the 5-series are not really that great. Are there modifications available for better one's?

How the heck do you shut off the rear wiper? ;-) The loaner didn't come with a manual and I can't make out the hyrgliphics on the stalk to figure it out.

I can sure see why people love these cars so much now that I've actually driven one.

There's a cupholder that slides onto the driver's door storage pocket that looks pretty stable. About $30. Pull toward you on the right stalk on the steering column to turn off the rear wiper. You like the 525, take the 540 for a spin.

·clyde·
09-27-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by johnlew
You like the 525, take the 540 for a spin.

Can I take yours?

And not give it back?

You never know unless you ask.

:angel:

bk3104
09-27-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by johnlew


There's a cupholder that slides onto the driver's door storage pocket that looks pretty stable. About $30. Pull toward you on the right stalk on the steering column to turn off the rear wiper. You like the 525, take the 540 for a spin.

The 540i would be amazing to say the least, albeit quite a bit out of my price range. I can't even imagine. I was thinking about a 530i 5-speed with the sports package, and a few other goodies as well. The 3.0/5-speed combination in my Z3 is wonderful and it has got to be as good in the 5-series I'd imagine. Thanks for the tip on shutting off the rear wiper. I'll try that.

TGD
09-27-2002, 07:44 AM
ACS offer a compressor for the Series 5. So you may get a very good performance from the 525!

LarryN
09-27-2002, 09:33 AM
I think I've had that same loaner before. By any chance is it a non-sport silver one with 'BMW Gallery" amblazoned on the back window?:dunno: If I recall, they have a Orient Blue one as well.

Also, nice to see you here. You are, by far, the closest member on this board to me! I'm right on the Halifax line.:thumbup:

bk3104
09-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by LarryN
I think I've had that same loaner before. By any chance is it a non-sport silver one with 'BMW Gallery" amblazoned on the back window?:dunno: If I recall, they have a Orient Blue one as well.

Also, nice to see you here. You are, by far, the closest member on this board to me! I'm right on the Halifax line.:thumbup:

Hey neighbor! Nope, this one is black with the beige interior. It *does* have the BMW Gallery sticker all the way across the top of the back window. I just got a call from the BMW Gallery up there in Norwell, and they had to order a new armrest for my Z3. Turns out I'll have the loaner through the weekend including a family trip up to Portsmouth, NH. Should be a good test and a nice way to not put any miles on our cars too! This loaner is a non-sport 525 as well. I actually used to live in Pembroke, right over by the Duxbury line. Now off 105 in Halifax.

johnlew
09-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Did the rear wiper stop?

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bk3104


The 540i would be amazing to say the least, albeit quite a bit out of my price range. I can't even imagine. I was thinking about a 530i 5-speed with the sports package, and a few other goodies as well. The 3.0/5-speed combination in my Z3 is wonderful and it has got to be as good in the 5-series I'd imagine. Thanks for the tip on shutting off the rear wiper. I'll try that.

The 530iT is not sold in the country. :mad:

bk3104
09-27-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by johnlew
Did the rear wiper stop?

Don't know yet. I've been at work all day, and it's been pouring out here in Massachusetts. Haven't had a chance to go outside and check. Will do so later.

bk3104
09-27-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd


The 530iT is not sold in the country. :mad:

Oh, I know. I wouldn't be interested in the "T" version as my wife already has a Volvo V70/AWD. If I were to get the 530i, it'd be the sedan with the 5-speed and sports package. Wonder if the ride with the sports package is noticeably more rough than with the stock suspension?

johnlew
09-27-2002, 10:45 AM
I find the ride on my 540iAT with sport package to be just fine. Smoother than my 330 w/sport. But I'm sure mostly due to weight and wheelbase.