PDA

View Full Version : Smokey alert in N.J.

Fast Bob
01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
State Police have a "new" unmarked car on the prowl....it`s a light tan/beige Crown Vic with *dark* tinted windows all around, and full hub caps that look like they were purchased at Pep Boys....seen pulling someone over on Rt. 78 westbound just past the Rt. 287 interchange.

Regards,
Bob

avalys
01-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Unmarked Crown Vics are somewhat pointless, aren't they? Everyone is on the lookout for those.

If they really wanted to catch people they'd go with an unmarked Camry or something.

Fast Bob
01-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Unmarked Crown Vics are somewhat pointless, aren't they? Everyone is on the lookout for those.

If they really wanted to catch people they'd go with an unmarked Camry or something.
You`re from out of state, so you don`t know the deal....tinted windows (especially limo-tint darkness) are outlawed in N.J., so you would`nt expect a cop car to have them....this rig *does not* look like your typical unmarked car.... more like a cheesy salesman`s car....

Regards,
Bob

wwb4
01-18-2006, 08:53 PM
I've seen unmarked old Nissan Altima's with Redskins stickers acting as unmarked cars in my state.

TJS///M3
01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
LoL.

Here in CT, I have seen State Police use unmarked Crown Vics, Camaros, Mazda MX-6s, Mustangs, Explorers, Expeditions, Chevy Caprices, Impalas, and once upon a time, a confiscated Corvette.

I have to admit I got snagged by one of the MX-6s. I mean really.. a Mazda? It was a dark day. :cry: The cop almost laughed too, when I said "you guys have mazdas?"

I always view a crown vic as a suspect vehicle, and unless I can see the driver, I'm not about to do anything stupid around one. But hey, everyone here should know what a crown vic looks like, and what the headlights look like when they are coming up behind you at night.

Just Bryce
01-19-2006, 04:58 AM
I guess the unmarked Crown Vics are the norm everywhere, the FHP recently aquired a fleet of Merc Marauders.

vern
01-19-2006, 06:23 AM
State Police have a "new" unmarked car on the prowl....it`s a light tan/beige Crown Vic with *dark* tinted windows all around, and full hub caps that look like they were purchased at Pep Boys....seen pulling someone over on Rt. 78 westbound just past the Rt. 287 interchange.

Regards,
Bob
There was a Maroon colored one with the tinted windows,( drivers and passenger side included), on the Parkway near the Asbury Park exit last week that had a guy pulled over.Be carfull.
cheers
vern

bmw325
01-19-2006, 06:27 AM
LoL.

Here in CT, I have seen State Police use unmarked Crown Vics, Camaros, Mazda MX-6s, Mustangs, Explorers, Expeditions, Chevy Caprices, Impalas, and once upon a time, a confiscated Corvette.

I have to admit I got snagged by one of the MX-6s. I mean really.. a Mazda? It was a dark day. :cry: The cop almost laughed too, when I said "you guys have mazdas?"

I always view a crown vic as a suspect vehicle, and unless I can see the driver, I'm not about to do anything stupid around one. But hey, everyone here should know what a crown vic looks like, and what the headlights look like when they are coming up behind you at night.

Right- a crown vic is guilty until proven innocent. Although, I've noticed that cop versions (including unmarked ones) tend to have the black grille-- whereas the retiree version of course has crhome.

alexthe1
01-19-2006, 06:55 AM
In NYC I saw them use taxis.

Plaz
01-19-2006, 07:11 AM

Regards,
Bob

Thanks for the heads up... that's my neck of the woods.

Jever
01-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Sheriff's dpt. around here uses Chevy malibu's. HyPo sticks to the Crown Vic's mostly w/ the occasional 'vette or camaro. Sheriff has some SUV's to go and bust the field parties. Local PD has nothing but Crown's w/ black grills and outdated radar that doesn't work if their car isn't stationary. HyPo's and Sheriffs are all over the place though.

leshik
01-19-2006, 12:18 PM
In NYC I saw them use taxis.

Yeah, there are a few of them. There is a way to tell them apart though. Regular Taxis have licence plate the same as their medallion number on top. Police ones have plates that resemble the TLC plates with TXXXXXXT where X's are numbers. Of course you don't want to be THAT close to the car to be able to tell it apart, but... it is still a way to tell.

hawk2100n
01-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Our local police has a 2005 white Mustang GT with an exhaust and tinted windows. That is a tough one to watch for.

wwb4
01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
One has to be cautious with any unmarked cars, however I know that while driving the NJ turnpike one needs to be cautious of the marked cars too, because NJ state troopers in general have a reputation for being some of the most elusive troopers in the country.

Fast Bob
01-20-2006, 12:14 PM
One has to be cautious with any unmarked cars, however I know that while driving the NJ turnpike one needs to be cautious of the marked cars too, because NJ state troopers in general have a reputation for being some of the most elusive troopers in the country.
Yes, they *do* love the cat-and-mouse game....I saw an unmarked car parked on the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway (near mile 145), with a couple of kid`s stuffed animals on the rear window shelf and a Garfield the cat suction-cupped onto the side window....the Trooper pretended to be napping, with his head back & wearing a red baseball cap, while zapping oncoming traffic with instant-on.
On another occasion, I was eastbound on Rt. 78 about 10 miles from the Pa. border, keeping a healthy pace alongside a big Ninja 2-wheeler....in my mirror, I spotted a car coming up fast, working the traffic behind us....I signaled the Ninja to slow down, and we cruised along at 5 mph over the limit....sure enough, it was an unmarked car. He paced us from 100 yards back for 3 or 4 miles, then pulled off onto an exit ramp. As soon as he was out of view, the Ninja pilot gassed it hard, and took off like a shot....I began increasing my speed, but out of habit, I glanced up the on-ramp....SON OF A BITCH!!!! Here comes the same trooper, flying down the ramp!!!! Luckily, he had his sights set on the Ninja, who was now doing about a buck-twenty ahead of me....
As with many aspects of life, vigilance is the key to survival.

Regards,
Bob

woody underwood
01-20-2006, 12:27 PM
More unmarked tales:
In New Mexico I saw a trooper pacing cars from a road running along the Interstate, he'd get to an interchange and pull on the freeway and nail somebody. I've seen them doing that in KC too by our downtown airport.
Oklahoma uses Mustangs with no lights on the top.
Kansas Turnpike had (Has?) a Porsche 911 (With lights on the top)
My last ticket was from a KC cop driving an unmarked car with HANDICAPPED plates, I passed him and he got me.

Fast Bob
01-20-2006, 04:58 PM
More unmarked tales:
)
My last ticket was from a KC cop driving an unmarked car with HANDICAPPED plates, I passed him and he got me.

That`s f##kin` *harsh*, man....you should have countered with a citizen`s arrest for "false advertising"... :-)

Regards,
Bob

Fast Bob
01-20-2006, 04:59 PM

obmd1
01-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Slightly off topic, but I have a law enforcement rant....

Off late this morning, stopping a the local Starbucks for coffee... parked out front at a meter with time on it as I do each morning. Thing is, I'm about an hour late, and rush hour (such as it is in cleveland Heights) is beginning. Apparently the meters are not legal after 7am. In the time it took a passerby to tell me this, and for me to read the sign, and get back into my car the "cop" sitting up two steps in the neighboring establishment had written the ticket... threw it at my car as I drove off....

:mad: :mad: :mad: Half of me wants to fight it... and then I remember it's 15 bucks....

wwb4
01-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Yes, they *do* love the cat-and-mouse game....I saw an unmarked car parked on the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway (near mile 145), with a couple of kid`s stuffed animals on the rear window shelf and a Garfield the cat suction-cupped onto the side window....the Trooper pretended to be napping, with his head back & wearing a red baseball cap, while zapping oncoming traffic with instant-on.
On another occasion, I was eastbound on Rt. 78 about 10 miles from the Pa. border, keeping a healthy pace alongside a big Ninja 2-wheeler....in my mirror, I spotted a car coming up fast, working the traffic behind us....I signaled the Ninja to slow down, and we cruised along at 5 mph over the limit....sure enough, it was an unmarked car. He paced us from 100 yards back for 3 or 4 miles, then pulled off onto an exit ramp. As soon as he was out of view, the Ninja pilot gassed it hard, and took off like a shot....I began increasing my speed, but out of habit, I glanced up the on-ramp....SON OF A BITCH!!!! Here comes the same trooper, flying down the ramp!!!! Luckily, he had his sights set on the Ninja, who was now doing about a buck-twenty ahead of me....
As with many aspects of life, vigilance is the key to survival.

Regards,
Bob

My point exactly. Be "especially" careful if you plan to speed on the NJ turnpike.

wwb4
01-20-2006, 06:15 PM
That`s f##kin` *harsh*, man....you should have countered with a citizen`s arrest for "false advertising"... :-)

Regards,
Bob

:rofl:

wwb4
01-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Slightly off topic, but I have a law enforcement rant....

Off late this morning, stopping a the local Starbucks for coffee... parked out front at a meter with time on it as I do each morning. Thing is, I'm about an hour late, and rush hour (such as it is in cleveland Heights) is beginning. Apparently the meters are not legal after 7am. In the time it took a passerby to tell me this, and for me to read the sign, and get back into my car the "cop" sitting up two steps in the neighboring establishment had written the ticket... threw it at my car as I drove off....

:mad: :mad: :mad: Half of me wants to fight it... and then I remember it's 15 bucks....

.....and "no" points. Just think of it as a couple of Venti lattes. :p

Plaz
01-20-2006, 08:52 PM
My point exactly. Be "especially" careful if you plan to speed on the NJ turnpike.

I do on a daily basis. :eeps:

wwb4
01-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I do on a daily basis. :eeps:

That's good to hear...........you never know where that next NJ trooper is lurking. :eeps:

bcausseaux
01-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Here in TX they have a lot of unmarked Tahoes and S10 or Ford Rangers. Same thing really :)

wwb4
01-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Here in TX they have a lot of unmarked Tahoes and S10 or Ford Rangers. Same thing really :)

Wow......that's interesting....trucks....really? :dunno: